U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city is most poised to become another powerhouse of the South
Richmond, Va 27 9.96%
New Orleans, LA 24 8.86%
Nashville, TN 107 39.48%
Jacksonville, FL 14 5.17%
Louisville, KY 10 3.69%
Raleigh, NC 71 26.20%
Birmingham, AL 16 5.90%
Memphis, TN 2 0.74%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 09:31 AM

110 posts, read 81,165 times

Advertisements

Louisville is a good 10 hours to the beach. I associate being in the south with being fairly close to the beach.

It is much colder than the south. It looks more like a Midwestern city in architecture.

Most people in the south never go to or even through Louisville for anything.

i'm not opposed to it being grouped in south if people want to do that. I would have thought a city like Lousville is bleeding population though like most cities in that area so major hub?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 09:56 AM

27,864 posts, read 24,930,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
Louisville is a good 10 hours to the beach. I associate being in the south with being fairly close to the beach.
Well that would be a very misguided association to make.

Quote:
It is much colder than the south. It looks more like a Midwestern city in architecture.
This is because it is in the Upper South and on the border of the Midwest, so it has a cooler climate and more Midwestern influences.

Quote:
I don't know of any one city that most people in the South go to or through. Do you know how big the South is? There's no one city that dominates the region.

Quote:
i'm not opposed to it being grouped in south if people want to do that. I would have thought a city like Lousville is bleeding population though like most cities in that area so major hub?.
It's not experiencing breakneck growth like Sunbelt cities, but it's not bleeding population either; its growth rate is more average.

Old 06-20-2015, 10:30 AM

well I think people group states by subjective measures. I think most people up north associate the south with proximity to the beach and warmer winters.

You will see more discussion of Louisville on the Ohio and Indiana forums than the southeastern state forums.

I read something on the internet that Louisville lost like 10% of its population between 1990-2000. That isn't similiar to most places in the south.

Old 06-20-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
well I think people group states by subjective measures. I think most people up north associate the south with proximity to the beach and warmer winters.
That's not the complete story though.

Quote:
You will see more discussion of Louisville on the Ohio and Indiana forums than the southeastern state forums.
That's because those are bordering states, but that doesn't change Louisville's status as a Southern city.

Quote:
I read something on the internet that Louisville lost like 10% of its population between 1990-2000. That isn't similiar to most places in the south.
That's because many Southern cities have done a lot of annexation to capture a larger share of the suburban population growth. Louisville consolidated with its county in 2003 so its city population is a more accurate reflection of the urbanized area population. And the metro area gained population in that time period.

Old 06-20-2015, 03:42 PM

2,909 posts, read 1,889,888 times
Quote:
Charleston would be the smallest of the 3 big cities in SC, if it didn't have all the military related installations and contractors, the Ports authority, and the 3rd largest public university in the state.
No, Columbia would probably be the smallest of the 3 big cities in SC if it didn't have Ft Jackson, wasn't the state capital, and didn't have USC.

Old 06-20-2015, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
No, Columbia would probably be the smallest of the 3 big cities in SC if it didn't have Ft Jackson, wasn't the state capital, and didn't have USC.
And Richmond would be smaller than both if it weren't the capital, didn't have VCU, and was near the WV border.

I mean the possibilities are endless when we play this kind of game!

Seriously, Columbia would have the capital because that's why it was created; otherwise there would be no Columbia and the point is moot. And Fort Jackson isn't really that major, at least compared to other military installations like Fort Gordon or Fort Bragg--mainly because it's an initial entry training installation and not one where lots of personnel are posted on a long-term basis. USC is obviously a pretty big deal however.

Old 06-20-2015, 04:35 PM

6,309 posts, read 13,222,044 times
Quote:

Louisville is a booming southern city. You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about because you have never been there. Louisville is seeing above average growth, both in city and suburbs. In the 1990's its population stayed about even because it was literally using definitons and boundaries from the 1800....the city was literally only counting about 60 square miles, most of which included the hood (ALL hoods, even in booming Vegas, ATL, and Orlando, are losing population).

There are indeed Midwest influences, but come on. I think there are like 10 tower cranes up in downtown alone? There are 7 hotels under construction (JUST in downtown! bc there are several more 5-7 story hotels going up in the burbs). 4 or 5 urban bourbon distilleries under construction. 3 opened in the last year already. The tallest apartment building is undergoing a luxury 20 million renovation and they are building another 450 ft, 30 story apartment tower with urban grocer above an Omni hotel.

Every single city neighborhood has infill projects right now outside the ghetto. Heck, even the ghetto is seeing some development with a Walmart and the nation's largest urban food hub/food port and biofuel center.

So, please talk about cities you know about, not something you read about on the internet from the 1990s.

Old 06-20-2015, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Louisville is a booming southern city. You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about because you have never been there. Louisville is seeing above average growth, both in city and suburbs. In the 1990's its population stayed about even because it was literally using definitons and boundaries from the 1800....the city was literally only counting about 60 square miles, most of which included the hood (ALL hoods, even in booming Vegas, ATL, and Orlando, are losing population).

There are indeed Midwest influences, but come on. I think there are like 10 tower cranes up in downtown alone? There are 7 hotels under construction (JUST in downtown! bc there are several more 5-7 story hotels going up in the burbs). 4 or 5 urban bourbon distilleries under construction. 3 opened in the last year already. The tallest apartment building is undergoing a luxury 20 million renovation and they are building another 450 ft, 30 story apartment tower with urban grocer above an Omni hotel.

Every single city neighborhood has infill projects right now outside the ghetto. Heck, even the ghetto is seeing some development with a Walmart and the nation's largest urban food hub/food port and biofuel center.

So, please talk about cities you know about, not something you read about on the internet from the 1990s.
Wow, I didn't know all of that was happening in downtown Louisville; that's awesome! It's a city that definitely doesn't get its just due.

Old 06-20-2015, 05:08 PM

4,317 posts, read 3,382,871 times
Quote:

I hadn't heard about this, this would make it the first significant tower built in Louisville in decades. Nice..it's about time underrated Louisville got some love.

Quote:
Okay lol! That's really great news.

Quote:

Old 06-20-2015, 05:22 PM

Quote:

ok, but aren't most cities in the midwest losing population? It was an overall logical assumption. it did appear to lose some population in the 1990s. I have nothing against Louisville and it looks like a nice downtown area on the Google street view.

I have been through Louisville. It felt midwestern to me. It is still Lousiville regardless of what region you put it in.

my only objection was the lack of SC cities in the poll despite all the growth in them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or