Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 08:35 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,380,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Curious, as someone of Spanish descent, (and some of that Spanish blood has got to be Basque as well!) but are Basque-Americans classified as Hispanic? They're from Spain but they don't even speak a Latin based language, let alone Spanish.

I find Idaho's Basque population interesting. Its also interesting because most Americans of Spanish ancestry came via a Latin American country, as opposed to directly from Spain, and the Basque are one of those groups that came directly from Spain.
I personally just consider Spanish from Spain white people. Is Pao Gasol Hispanic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2017, 10:01 PM

7,724 posts, read 6,358,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I'm not Basque, but I believe most probably identify as white, but above all they identify as Basque, even over Spanish. Basque is a super unique language, from what I understand it predates pretty much anything else in Europe, they are a very ancient people. They offer classes to learn the language which I understand is hard.

Idaho doesn't have a very large Basque population, only about 7,000 left (although many locals have some Basque in them) but they are pretty influential in the area. Nevada also has a sizable population.

Boise has a pretty cool "Basque Block" and the Mayor of course is Basque, and they have plenty of events for Basque dancing. Every 5 years they have a festival called Jaialdi(next one is 2020, and I plan to be home for it) which brings in 30-50k people from out of the area. It's kinda like a highland games type festival that lasts several days and includes Basque pelota.

In 2015 they even had a friendly between Athletic Bilbao (the Basque club) and Club Tijuana which was pretty cool.

Well I'm not asking if they identify as white, I'm sure they do. I'm asking if they identify as Hispanic. Hispanic is not a race its just a cultural additive. I identify as white, and Hispanic. It's not an "either or" its both. I'm not directly from Spain either, but many of my ancestors are (via Cuba)

Hispanic includes those with a heritage from Spain or the Hispanophonic nations in the Americas, its separate from race.

Old 12-01-2017, 10:03 PM

7,724 posts, read 6,358,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
I personally just consider Spanish from Spain white people. Is Pao Gasol Hispanic?
Yes but as I mentioned before, Hispanic is not mutually exclusive from white. As a white Hispanic, I get tired of explaining this to people I meet who go "oh, I thought you were white!" yea, still am lol. Language hasn't given me a tan or different facial features. Pao Gasol is Hispanic, and white. Just like Louis CK, Cameron Diaz, Charlie Sheen, Marco Rubio, Ted Cruz.. etc. etc.

Old 12-02-2017, 12:19 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,144,008 times
Even if for some reason that all Hispanics mark their race as white on the census, it will be a long time for them to be socially seen as white by the general population. Not even most Arabs are seen as white, and they are officially listed as white on the census, despite that their demographics can be as diverse as latinos.

Old 12-02-2017, 12:28 PM

6,514 posts, read 8,386,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
My question to all of you is, out of the whitest states in the USA, what one would you want to live in the most?

I just did some research on this website - Census.gov. I looked up each states "non-hispanic white" population. Here's what I found out...

Non-Hispanic White Population % By State
1. Vermont 94.0%
2. Maine 93.9%
3. West Virginia 92.6%
4. New Hampshire 91.4%
5. Iowa 87.5%
6. North Dakota 87.4%
7. Montana 87.0%
8. Kentucky 85.7%
9. Montana 84.7%
10. South Dakota 83.4%
11. Idaho 83.2%
12. Wisconsin 82.5%
13. Minnesota 81.9%
14. Nebraska 81.0%
15. Indiana 80.6%
16. Missouri 80.4%
17. Ohio 80.3%
18. Utah 79.5%
19. Pennsylvania 78.2%
20. Oregon 77.3%
21. Kansas 77.1%
22. Michigan 75.9%
23. Tennessee 74.8%
24. Massachusetts 74.6%
25. Rhode Island 74.6%
26. Arkansas 73.6%
27. Washington 70.9%
28. Connecticut 69.3%
29. Colorado 69.1%
30. Oklahoma 67.4%
31. Alabama 66.3%
32. North Carolina 64.2%
33. Delaware 64.0%
34. South Carolina 63.8%
35. Virginia 63.5%
36. Illinois 62.7%
37. Alaska 62.5%
38. Louisiana 59.5%
39. Mississippi 57.4%
40. New Jersey 57.3%
41. New York 56.9%
42. Arizona 56.6%
43. Florida 56.2%
44. Georgia 54.6%
45. Maryland 53.2%
46. Nevada 52.1%
47. Texas 43.9%
48. New Mexico 39.3%
49. California 38.8%
50. District of Columbia 35.6%
51. Hawaii 23.0%
I was born and grew up in Ohio. Most people have no idea just how White it is.

Most states are not as White in metropolitan areas though. Ohio is a great example of this. Then again you have Oregon, where that is definitely not the case, coming in at #20. Also check out Virginia at #35; night and day from Ohio, and Virginia is Southern and Ohio is Midwestern.

Old 12-02-2017, 01:50 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,215,919 times
Quote:
Well I'm not asking if they identify as white, I'm sure they do. I'm asking if they identify as Hispanic. Hispanic is not a race its just a cultural additive. I identify as white, and Hispanic. It's not an "either or" its both. I'm not directly from Spain either, but many of my ancestors are (via Cuba)

Hispanic includes those with a heritage from Spain or the Hispanophonic nations in the Americas, its separate from race.
Oh Sorry, yeah I understand how that works, I have friends who are White/Hispanic and other friends who are Black/Hispanic.

I don't think most of them identify as Hispanic, idk for sure though as I've never asked. I know they tend to tell you they are Basque, not Spanish, and the language and culture they are trying to preserve is distinct from the Spanish culture (although of course there is plenty of back and forth) The language isn't Latin based.

Old 12-02-2017, 03:13 PM

92,002 posts, read 122,107,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
I was born and grew up in Ohio. Most people have no idea just how White it is.

Most states are not as White in metropolitan areas though. Ohio is a great example of this. Then again you have Oregon, where that is definitely not the case, coming in at #20. Also check out Virginia at #35; night and day from Ohio, and Virginia is Southern and Ohio is Midwestern.
To be honest, I would have thought that OH and PA would have percentages that were a little bit lower.

On the flip side, the Carolinas and VA have percentages that are a little bit higher than I expected. With that said, historic and current migration patterns play a part in regards to those states.

Old 12-03-2017, 09:47 AM

6,514 posts, read 8,386,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
To be honest, I would have thought that OH and PA would have percentages that were a little bit lower.

On the flip side, the Carolinas and VA have percentages that are a little bit higher than I expected. With that said, historic and current migration patterns play a part in regards to those states.
I'm not surprised. There are two different Ohio and Pennsylvania. Rural and urban. If you want to see Black people, just go to the city.

The South is a different animal. Blacks everywhere. Although I do agree that migration patterns have to do with it not too many Blacks migrating to rural areas in Virginia and the Carolinas. Maybe to cities, although I have heard some migrating to the smaller cities, which is interesting because they never lived in smaller cities where they're from. I'm thinking cities like 100,000, or even as low as 50,000, in the city proper. Also seems that a lot of Blacks never left the rural areas in the South to begin with.

The real problem Blacks will run into in states like Ohio and Pennsylvania isn't racism like how they show it on TV. The issue is institutional racism they may encounter. Keep in mind that a lot of cities in both states aren't necessarily flourishing. If you assimilate into those rural areas you just happen to be Black, but not "Black enough" for your friends in the city. If you grew up there in a city like Philadelphia, Pittsburgh or Cleveland perhaps you're "too Black". It is the annoying, d_ if you do, d_ if you don't that makes me prefer the South, at least Virginia, to how it was back in Ohio. Just not as progressive as things are in the larger cities down South. Plus the hyper-competitive environment because what few jobs one does find you need to be over-educated, as a Black person, or have the right connections, up North whereas you'll easily find a job doing something down South, even if it is far beneath your station.

Old 12-03-2017, 09:57 AM

34,107 posts, read 18,350,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
I'm not surprised. There are two different Ohio and Pennsylvania. Rural and urban. If you want to see Black people, just go to the city.
Very accurate, and very different politically also. Most states are like this today.

Old 12-03-2017, 10:11 AM

1,642 posts, read 1,380,688 times
Quote:
Yes but as I mentioned before, Hispanic is not mutually exclusive from white. As a white Hispanic, I get tired of explaining this to people I meet who go "oh, I thought you were white!" yea, still am lol. Language hasn't given me a tan or different facial features. Pao Gasol is Hispanic, and white. Just like Louis CK, Cameron Diaz, Charlie Sheen, Marco Rubio, Ted Cruz.. etc. etc.
That's the issue with the term, it means white, black, mestizo, mullato. People from Argentina are considered Hispanic even though they are mostly Italian. People from Guatemala are Hispanic but are mostly Mestizo or Native American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City