U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-28-2017, 08:55 PM
 
52,673 posts, read 75,524,827 times
Reputation: 11628

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
Notice that MOST rural areas of Georgia (The North Georgia Mountain counties excluded) are heavily mixed or even majority Black. The Deep South is ACTUALLY MUCH MORE diverse in rural areas than any other part of the country.
You do realize that there is a socio-historical reason why that is, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-29-2017, 06:22 AM
 
Location: "The Dirty Irv" Irving, TX
1,878 posts, read 822,325 times
Reputation: 2293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
Notice that MOST rural areas of Georgia (The North Georgia Mountain counties excluded) are heavily mixed or even majority Black. The Deep South is ACTUALLY MUCH MORE diverse in rural areas than any other part of the country.
Yeah but that is because of slavery, it isn't like rural blacks chose Georgia as a destination for the most part.

That doesn't mean it doesn't count or that it isn't a good place, but the fact is it is a legacy of slavery.

Wyoming might have had a large black population had history turned out differently, who knows?

In fact I would argue that a place being racist or not has almost nothing to do with how many African Americans live there. AAs tend to either live in the South for the obvious historical reason or moved to industrial cities for jobs during the great migration. Detroit, St Louis, Chicago any of the major Great Migration destinations have had their fair share of racism related problems and racist laws.

I'm not arguing that many of the "very white" states don't have past or present issues with racism, they do, but the most AA parts of the US are mostly determined by history and economics. These factors are:

1)Where slavery was legal, and where slavery was economically profitable.

2) For the great migrations where there were jobs and no jim crow laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2017, 10:21 AM
 
52,673 posts, read 75,524,827 times
Reputation: 11628
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoosAnnaKwaahter View Post
[/b]



I would say this is patently false. Perhaps you are asserting that blacks themselves can't be racist, which is a complete lie. Let me give you a real-life example of a city where "black implemented racism" (towards whites, Hispanics, and non-whites/non-whites) is rampant, obvious and very ugly : Memphis TN, which is a majority black city. Another city for example is Birmingham, AL, and the same kind of racism can be witnessed in New Orleans as well ! remember Mayor Nagin's calling NOLA "this is a Chocolate City"...this fool mayor also ended up in jail after Katrina's disastrous handling or local mobilization. If you've never lived in these cities, you might not see the truth that they IS a positive correlation between the number of blacks that live in a city, to the issue and problem of "racism", it's just a different KIND of "racism", that's the sort of racism that is in fact perpetrated by blacks themselves upon "non-blacks". Heck, I've witnessed black racism heaped upon mixed-race groups (mestizos, mulattoes , quadroons, even highly educated African-born (foreign) "black immigrants" to these cities ! Racism knows no bounds, friend.
This isnít anywhere close to what the poster is referring to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2017, 10:38 AM
 
Location: DFW
6,717 posts, read 11,177,059 times
Reputation: 4980
Oregon (#20) for its relatively high Asian population (I'm Asian)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2017, 11:27 AM
 
Location: Land of the Caddo and Tonkawa
3,937 posts, read 1,483,587 times
Reputation: 5497
All of the whitest states I'd consider have issues. As one goes down the list, there's more warmth among people, better affordability, and more of what looks like classic America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2017, 01:11 PM
 
Location: Willowbend/Houston
13,403 posts, read 20,296,728 times
Reputation: 10181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
Notice that MOST rural areas of Georgia (The North Georgia Mountain counties excluded) are heavily mixed or even majority Black. The Deep South is ACTUALLY MUCH MORE diverse in rural areas than any other part of the country.
Yes and no. From a black/white perspective sure. You do also have the Southwest from Texas to California that is very mixed between Hispanic/white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2017, 03:42 PM
 
2,072 posts, read 1,091,886 times
Reputation: 1360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys fan in Houston View Post
Yes and no. From a black/white perspective sure. You do also have the Southwest from Texas to California that is very mixed between Hispanic/white.
Outside Atlanta and Florida there aren't a lot of Hispanic or Asian people in the south east.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2017, 03:52 PM
Status: "Soon I'll hear old winter's song.." (set 18 days ago)
 
Location: Saint Paul, MN
5,391 posts, read 2,853,041 times
Reputation: 7086
I live in Minnesota, its 85% white. (81% non-Hispanic white. I myself am Hispanic white)

Race doesn't matter to me, though I do like there to be diversity, I don't care if a place is majority white or not, as long as its a nice place to live. I would like to live in a small town when I am older (like over the age of 50) so I might end up living in a 90%+ white area, but who knows how demographics might change. I notice how small towns in the South (I used to live in one, plus my ex grew up in one, as a racial minority) are more diverse than the Midwest, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2017, 03:53 PM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
1,875 posts, read 2,548,819 times
Reputation: 1154
Most of the states at the top like Maine and Vermont are small and not very urban. Plus NY, NJ, Hawaii, Maryland, and Arizona are all near the top of the list in Safety but some of the least white. Most of the states at the bottom of the safety list are poor states. Correlation does not equal causation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-29-2017, 04:06 PM
Status: "Soon I'll hear old winter's song.." (set 18 days ago)
 
Location: Saint Paul, MN
5,391 posts, read 2,853,041 times
Reputation: 7086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I think the big thing is that many folks feel uncomfortable moving somewhere where they will stand out so it is a chicken vs egg thing.

Part of it is practical: if you are an observant Muslim would you want to live somewhere where you can't find ḥalāl food? Would you want to be a black guy living somewhere you can't find a Barber that knows how to cut your hair?

Boise, where I grew up has a small but growing Bosnian community that started with refugees. Over time, folks who were settled there were joined by friends and family because word of mouth.

The same thing happened 100 years ago with Basque immigrants. It might seem random that Idaho has the largest Basque population in the states, but it makes sense because people who came over to work invited friends and family to join them, they hit a critical mass and kept growing.

The same thing is happening right now with the Hispanic community in Idaho, it hit that critical mass a while ago an is rapidly growing.

That said, I agree with your point that being a "White" state isn't some indication that these places are more racist or a bad place for minorities to live.

Curious, as someone of Spanish descent, (and some of that Spanish blood has got to be Basque as well!) but are Basque-Americans classified as Hispanic? They're from Spain but they don't even speak a Latin based language, let alone Spanish.

I find Idaho's Basque population interesting. Its also interesting because most Americans of Spanish ancestry came via a Latin American country, as opposed to directly from Spain, and the Basque are one of those groups that came directly from Spain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top