U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 07:27 PM

Location: Simi Valley, California - which was once part of the USA
350 posts, read 383,200 times

Advertisements

There are other cities in the northern half of the USA that I am considering but these are my southern picks and I want to narrow it down to like 3 because I cannot visit all of these places.

Me: I am a 6th generation Californian raised in lovely San Dimas , CA in LA County. I currently live with roommates in the Conejo Valley on the LA/Ventura border and commute to school. I am about graduate from Cal State Northridge with a degree in Economics. I have a construction managent certificate from a community college as well. I'm white (WASP blonde hair/blue eyes) and speak English and okay French. I come from a religious background and I am a Baptist, I go to church every Sunday and most Wednesday's. I'm a nature freak of the highest caliber and my favorite part of where I live now is the beautiful surroundings in California. I'm a mountain man especially so access to mountains is important. Even better is mountain views. That's not a must but it's imporant. I like places that are very "lush" and green with lots of trees and flowers. I don't mind most types of weather and I am very adaptable, the only kind of environment I can't take is places like the desert in parts of SoCal, NV, and AZ where it's dry and dusty and everything is bleak and beige. I don't like urban areas in the sense of everyone buzzing about and living in small cramped apartments. I'm a suburban guy, I like driving, I like quiet and safe areas, with low density development. Obviously to start I will be renting and I would like to keep a 1 bedroom under $800 and preferably under $700 in a nice apartment complex (not too keen on living in a building or converted home. I like the convenience of a complex with a parking lot) but eventually will be wanting to purchase a nice SFH in a nice area for under $300k.

I'm a conservative as stated, and don't like environments where I have to be apprehensive about admitting that (or admitting that I am a churchgoing baptist). Sports aren't important to me but it would be awesome if I was within driving distance of a shooting range, a rural forest, a speedway for car racing, and a beach (fresh or saltwater).

I beg of you guys, no political debating it gets soo tiring on here.

Thanks in advance for your answers!

EDIT: Forgot to add the cities of Lexington and Louisville in Kentucky and Hampton Roads, Charlottesville, and Richmond in Virginia. These all wouldn't fit in the title.

Last edited by JeffSanDimas; 03-31-2015 at 07:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 07:57 PM

5,419 posts, read 8,204,255 times
Knoxville has a very liberal mayor at the moment but the population has a wide range of political views. It has the best mountain views of all the cities mentioned. No NASCAR - would Bristol be close enough? Man-made beaches on the TVA lakes. Plenty of rural forests and a few shooting ranges. Baptist churches abound - from liberal to conservative. Real estate will be in your budget.

Except for the mountains /lakes you could say the same of all the cities except Charlottesville - which may be out of your price range and a bit too liberal. It may come down to where you get the best job. A knowledge of Spanish will be helpful, even in the upper south.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:07 PM

Location: Simi Valley, California - which was once part of the USA
350 posts, read 383,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Knoxville has a very liberal mayor at the moment but the population has a wide range of political views. It has the best mountain views of all the cities mentioned. No NASCAR - would Bristol be close enough? Man-made beaches on the TVA lakes. Plenty of rural forests and a few shooting ranges. Baptist churches abound - from liberal to conservative. Real estate will be in your budget.

Except for the mountains /lakes you could say the same of all the cities except Charlottesville - which may be out of your price range and a bit too liberal. It may come down to where you get the best job. A knowledge of Spanish will be helpful, even in the upper south.
I'm not too concerned with city politics. Most cities lean blue simply because of the folks who tend to live in cities. People of color, gays, hipsters all inhabit cities and thus influence the voting trends. I'm more concerned with state politics. There are places even out here in California that are overwhelmingly republican (the far north, Bakersfield/Kern County, parts of Orange and San Diego counties..) but our legislature is controlled by folks from the Bay Area and the city of Los Angeles..even my hometown San Dimas votes republican.

I guess Charlottesville may be out, a dang shame it looks so beautiful.

As for Spanish, I don't speak it and learning a language takes motivation and interest that just isn't there with me in regards to Spanish. I would love to brush up on my French and learn German and Russian though

Old 03-31-2015, 09:42 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,336,466 times
Huntsville or Knoxville would be a perfect fit for you. Both are safe, comfortable, easy to get around, and very close to the mountains with hiking, biking, fishing, or whatever else you like to do outdoors. They are accepting of people of all different backgrounds, relatively inexpensive, and finding a good church won't be a problem in either.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:06 PM

4,345 posts, read 6,927,632 times
Personally, I would go with Knoxville. It has everything you need in regards to greenery, mountains, outdoors, politics (outside of the city) and sports. Beautiful city with beautiful surroundings.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:26 AM

I hope you realize you will encounter "People of color, gays, hipsters" and plain old fashioned liberals outside the city limits of Knoxville as well. Just in smaller proportions. Except from my limited experience gays are living throughout the county.

Old 04-01-2015, 05:44 AM

3,629 posts, read 6,115,515 times
Knoxville first and Huntsville with a close second.

Old 04-01-2015, 06:43 AM

27,725 posts, read 24,748,456 times
Greenville, SC hands down...it's not on your list but should be.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:38 AM

6,385 posts, read 10,365,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Greenville, SC hands down...it's not on your list but should be.
I think both Knoxville and Greenville would be solid choices.

Greenville would have a modest advantage in terms to drive to the ocean, though personally I prefer Knoxville's setting.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:44 AM

Greenville appears to be a bit more religiously conservative overall. I'm sure the OP could find a kindred congregation either place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or