Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Top three cities of North America?
New York, Mexico City, Los Angeles 77 28.41%
New York, Mexico City, Toronto 57 21.03%
New York, Los Angeles, Chicago 55 20.30%
New York, Los Angeles, Toronto 28 10.33%
New York, Washington D.C., Los Angeles 13 4.80%
New York, Washington D.C., Toronto 10 3.69%
New York, Washington D.C., Mexico City 6 2.21%
New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco 20 7.38%
New York, San Francisco, Chicago 5 1.85%
New York, San Francisco, Toronto 6 2.21%
New York, Toronto, Chicago 10 3.69%
New York, Mexico City, Chicago 6 2.21%
New York, Washington D.C., San Francisco 4 1.48%
New York, Mexico City, San Francisco 3 1.11%
Mexico City, Washington D.C., Ottawa 1 0.37%
Mexico City, Los Angeles, Washington D.C. 0 0%
Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago 1 0.37%
Los Angeles, Washington D.C., Toronto 1 0.37%
None. 4 1.48%
Other. 6 2.21%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 12:27 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,278,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
This is unequivocally the right answer/ thread.
Nonsense. The countries aren't equivalent. If I say "what are the three most important cities in the U.S., Belize, and Guatemala", obviously the answer would be three cities in the U.S.

The most important cities are the three biggest cities. NYC, LA and Mexico City are all at least twice the size of any other city in North America, which is why this combination is easily winning this poll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 01:44 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,265,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Nonsense. The countries aren't equivalent. If I say "what are the three most important cities in the U.S., Belize, and Guatemala", obviously the answer would be three cities in the U.S.

The most important cities are the three biggest cities. NYC, LA and Mexico City are all at least twice the size of any other city in North America, which is why this combination is easily winning this poll.
Our Nola101. LA is NOT TWICE THE POPULATION OF CHICAGO Metro. You generally put down LA for Sprawl and other reasons and for sure Chicago. In land area it is very close to double Chicago's land mass.

Los Angeles (13.05 million), Chicago (9.52 million) metros

Los Angeles (3.88 million), Chicago (2.71 million) cities

LA is 500 square miles of which 469 square miles is land.
NYC is 469 square miles of which 305 square miles is land.
Chicago is 234 square miles of which only 7 square miles is not land.

Jacksonville Fl. Is 800 square miles , Yakutat, Alaska is a land area of 7,650.46 square miles, including glaciers and ice fields.

SURELY YOU DO NOT JUDGE AND ELEVATE A CITY BY LAND MASS?

Old 04-03-2015, 01:50 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,397,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
Our Nola101. LA is NOT TWICE THE POPULATION OF CHICAGO Metro. You generally put down LA for Sprawl and other reasons and for sure Chicago. In land area it is very close to double Chicago's land mass.

Jacksonville Fl. Is 800 square miles , Yakutat, Alaska is a land area of 7,650.46 square miles, including glaciers and ice fields.

By CSA LA is almost twice the size of Chicagoland, a very seamless connected CSA in less land than Chicagoland I might add, so NOLA wasn't that off.

Old 04-03-2015, 01:55 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,278,762 times
Quote:
There are 18-19 million people in the LA CSA and 9-10 million people in the Chicago MSA.

Last I checked, 18 is twice that of 9. Don't blame me if you can't do basic math.

And I have no idea what you're referring to re. land mass. What does land mass have to do with population? I'm pretty sure LA has a smaller land mass anyways, not that it matters.

Old 04-03-2015, 01:56 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,397,996 times
Quote:

By CSA LA is almost twice the size of Chicagoland, a very seamless connected CSA in less land than Chicagoland I might add, so NOLA wasn't that off.

Old 04-03-2015, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
Guess I will have to concede this one to our Nola101. Not so much with many other comments? When so many and myself said she is mistaken. We just don't present our comment with terms as "nonsense and ridicules" and any number of blatant denials to others post that inflame others in threads? Guess I and others should see it as her way? Come in a thread and many times chaos comes? This had me in error this time

Old 04-03-2015, 07:22 PM

6,851 posts, read 10,915,660 times
These are the only poll choices that don't have New York in a sequence of three cities (the first four in the screenshot below), none of them have managed even one vote yet, they are the only choices without a single vote at this current time. It seems that while everyone has differing opinions -- as to be expected with 111 voter turnout -- that everyone unanimously agrees New York absolutely must be apart of the three.

Aww, cute. A country -- or better yet, a continent -- and its unanimously agreed upon premier city.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:20 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,159,690 times
Quote:
Guess I will have to concede this one to our Nola101. Not so much with many other comments? When so many and myself said she is mistaken. We just don't present our comment with terms as "nonsense and ridicules" and any number of blatant denials to others post that inflame others in threads? Guess I and others should see it as her way? Come in a thread and many times chaos comes? This had me in error this time
Steeps ... when can you actually write coherent and non-fragmented sentences that make grammatical sense, that don't come off as something from Google Translate? I've read a few of your posts, and literally have no idea what you are trying to convey 90% of the time.

Old 04-04-2015, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Steeps ... when can you actually write coherent and non-fragmented sentences that make grammatical sense, that don't come off as something from Google Translate? I've read a few of your posts, and literally have no idea what you are trying to convey 90% of the time.
So sorry "torontokid" I did not get a Canadian education But if my comment is meant for you? I will address it to "torontokid" . Or is it really "Shanghaikid"? By all your Shanghai pictures from Wikipedia on another thread. I just know it is not "bostonkid".

They do have a ignore feature in C-D?

Old 04-04-2015, 08:42 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,159,690 times
Quote:
So sorry "torontokid" I did not get a Canadian education But if my comment is meant for you? I will address it to "torontokid" . Or is it really "Shanghaikid"? By all your Shanghai pictures from Wikipedia on another thread. I just know it is not "bostonkid".

They do have a ignore feature in C-D?
Still not making any sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City