U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather live in Greenville SC or Orlando FL area?
Orlando 40 54.79%
Greenville SC 33 45.21%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 09:19 AM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 9,865,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
5 yrs ago I'd say Orlando based on entertainment.

As you get older, have kids.. things change. Other things become far more important.
I'm 25 now, so nothing is more important to me than the nightlife. It definitely seems like the nightlife in Downtown Orlando is underrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 02:38 PM

8,964 posts, read 5,706,718 times
Orlando's downtown is nice and seems like there is a lot going on during the weekend.

Old 05-21-2015, 03:50 PM

3,466 posts, read 2,582,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Like what?
I guess while it seems to have some decent aspects of living there overall, and another poster did mention, it's probably better to live in than visit. It just doesn't to me seem to have that one "draw" that brings people from all around. It doesn't mean it's a bad place, but I mean I don't think anything about Charlotte could be characterized as "elite". I think people are attracted to a place either for it's culture/history, theme parks/vibrancy, a beach, mountains/natural beauty, etc., and when I look at Charlotte, while there are certainly some decent things to see and do for the people that live there, I'm not sure that it would rank in the Top 10 for

-Beach
-Mountains/Nature
-Vibrant Downtown
-History/Culture
-Theme Parks/Attractions
-Weather

Now, does it have those things? Absolutely. Carowinds, Downtown Nightlife, NoDa, Crowder's Mountain, Lake Norman are all nice. But, when compared to a place like Orlando, I would say Orlando (and many others) likely have the advantage in most of those except possibly nature, and even that's up in the air since I'm assuming most Charlotte residents are able to make it to Crowder's Mountain once a week at most, whereas Orlando appears to have done a much better job of having biking/jogging parks near the city.

That being said, I need to take a better, closer look at the city and visit many of the places that the previous poster mentioned in order to determine how much nicer Charlotte can actually be. Wouldn't surprise me if there are very nice things I'm not thinking of.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelander1991 View Post
I guess while it seems to have some decent aspects of living there overall, and another poster did mention, it's probably better to live in than visit. It just doesn't to me seem to have that one "draw" that brings people from all around. It doesn't mean it's a bad place, but I mean I don't think anything about Charlotte could be characterized as "elite". I think people are attracted to a place either for it's culture/history, theme parks/vibrancy, a beach, mountains/natural beauty, etc., and when I look at Charlotte, while there are certainly some decent things to see and do for the people that live there, I'm not sure that it would rank in the Top 10 for

-Beach
-Mountains/Nature
-Vibrant Downtown
-History/Culture
-Theme Parks/Attractions
-Weather

Now, does it have those things? Absolutely. Carowinds, Downtown Nightlife, NoDa, Crowder's Mountain, Lake Norman are all nice. But, when compared to a place like Orlando, I would say Orlando (and many others) likely have the advantage in most of those except possibly nature, and even that's up in the air since I'm assuming most Charlotte residents are able to make it to Crowder's Mountain once a week at most, whereas Orlando appears to have done a much better job of having biking/jogging parks near the city.

That being said, I need to take a better, closer look at the city and visit many of the places that the previous poster mentioned in order to determine how much nicer Charlotte can actually be. Wouldn't surprise me if there are very nice things I'm not thinking of.

Charlotte is BIG with finaance and banking jobs - a lot of degree holders end up in Charlotte (much more than Orlando for sure). Beach- several hrs away, this is true, but just like anything, some people could care less (and obviously many do because Charlotte is filled with former Floridians). I like Charlotte's downtown, wouldn't know exactly how it compares to Orlando because I dont spend much time there at all. Neither Orlando or Charlotte has much history. Culture- I'd go with Charlotte because I like more of the American feel, personally. Theme parks and attractions go to Orlando. Weather, for me, goes to Charlotte, 4 mild seasons. I get soooo tired of the heat and humidity, and I'm a native. Overall, I give Charlotte the edge (rather easily). I find the people there far friendlier and much less of the ghetto/tough guy attitude.

I like Orlando, not bashing it, Charlotte just has more attributes for ppl like myself.

Now, if I was from NJ and wanted warm weather all yr round, I'd probably pick Orlando over Charlotte. Also, if I were hispanic or haitian, I'd probably choose Orlando over Charlotte. I totally get people wanting to be around / live around same demographics/culture, so if I were foreign, I'd pick Orlando.

Old 05-22-2015, 06:49 AM
PDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
Orlando's downtown is nice and seems like there is a lot going on during the weekend.
I haven't experienced it yet, but I would not be moving to Orlando if it didn't have a reputation for good nightlife. Hugely important to me.

Old 05-22-2015, 06:51 AM
PDF

Quote:
It just doesn't to me seem to have that one "draw" that brings people from all around. It doesn't mean it's a bad place, but I mean I don't think anything about Charlotte could be characterized as "elite". I think people are attracted to a place either for it's culture/history, theme parks/vibrancy, a beach, mountains/natural beauty, etc., and when I look at Charlotte, while there are certainly some decent things to see and do for the people that live there, I'm not sure that it would rank in the Top 10
I like places like that. A city doesn't need to have a big draw to make it fun to live in. If Orlando didn't have Disney but had everything else that it does, then I would be fine with that. Many other mid-size cities in the USA interest me that don't have a big draw or anything spectacular. If it can stand on its own as a good city, then sign me up. And Charlotte more than does that. Plus, as StreetSmarts mentioned, it's a great place if you work in the finance and banking sector.

Old 05-22-2015, 02:18 PM

yup, i agree.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:25 PM

3,466 posts, read 2,582,878 times
-I'd definitely agree on the economy there, at least in banking/finance. As far as economic capital, it may be in the Top 10.

-I looked at Charlotte's downtown a little closer, when I drove through before, all I saw was skyscrapers, not an ounce of greenspace or entertainment anywhere apart from the stadiums. I saw that they added in a place that looks similar to Pointe Orlando down there, which is pretty nice. However, I still would probably take Orlando on that, with the parks/Lake Eola and several blocks of historic buildings that are bustling with art galleries, restaurants, shops and bars.

-I'd agree with that, Orlando certainly doesn't need Disney or Universal, but it is a nice option to have. I'd say the bigger plus Orlando has is being 45 minutes from the beach.

-History isn't a big plus for Orlando, I agree, if anything Charlotte might have a tad more. What Orlando does have though is a more historical look. If you were to start at Park Avenue, you could go for a 15 mile bike loop in a square passing through nothing but historic charming bungalow streets, business districts and parks. I could be wrong (and hope I am, because if so I would like to check it out), but I don't believe an area like Park Avenue exists in Charlotte. Also, there are other towns in the Orlando area with New England style charm, like Mount Dora, Winter Garden and Sanford.

-Can't really speak to the weather as I haven't personally experienced it. Are the summers significantly more mild than Orlando?

-Nothing against Charlotte either, I always like learning more about what cities have to offer (on the positive side), and so it's cool to hear about some of the great things that are in the area.

Old 05-23-2015, 09:57 AM

27,767 posts, read 24,794,631 times
Quote:
-I'd definitely agree on the economy there, at least in banking/finance. As far as economic capital, it may be in the Top 10.

-I looked at Charlotte's downtown a little closer, when I drove through before, all I saw was skyscrapers, not an ounce of greenspace or entertainment anywhere apart from the stadiums. I saw that they added in a place that looks similar to Pointe Orlando down there, which is pretty nice. However, I still would probably take Orlando on that, with the parks/Lake Eola and several blocks of historic buildings that are bustling with art galleries, restaurants, shops and bars.

-I'd agree with that, Orlando certainly doesn't need Disney or Universal, but it is a nice option to have. I'd say the bigger plus Orlando has is being 45 minutes from the beach.

-History isn't a big plus for Orlando, I agree, if anything Charlotte might have a tad more. What Orlando does have though is a more historical look. If you were to start at Park Avenue, you could go for a 15 mile bike loop in a square passing through nothing but historic charming bungalow streets, business districts and parks. I could be wrong (and hope I am, because if so I would like to check it out), but I don't believe an area like Park Avenue exists in Charlotte. Also, there are other towns in the Orlando area with New England style charm, like Mount Dora, Winter Garden and Sanford.

-Can't really speak to the weather as I haven't personally experienced it. Are the summers significantly more mild than Orlando?

-Nothing against Charlotte either, I always like learning more about what cities have to offer (on the positive side), and so it's cool to hear about some of the great things that are in the area.
You can't accurately gauge everything a downtown offers by a quick drive through. Apparently you missed all the museums and cultural venues and yes, there are parks in Uptown, including Romare Bearden Park that opened last year or the year before.

Old 05-23-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:

I dont know how anyone would prefer relentless heat n humidity to 4 mild seasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or