U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather live in Greenville SC or Orlando FL area?
Orlando 40 54.79%
Greenville SC 33 45.21%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 12:09 PM

8,964 posts, read 5,706,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelander1991 View Post
-I'd definitely agree on the economy there, at least in banking/finance. As far as economic capital, it may be in the Top 10.

-I looked at Charlotte's downtown a little closer, when I drove through before, all I saw was skyscrapers, not an ounce of greenspace or entertainment anywhere apart from the stadiums. I saw that they added in a place that looks similar to Pointe Orlando down there, which is pretty nice. However, I still would probably take Orlando on that, with the parks/Lake Eola and several blocks of historic buildings that are bustling with art galleries, restaurants, shops and bars.

-I'd agree with that, Orlando certainly doesn't need Disney or Universal, but it is a nice option to have. I'd say the bigger plus Orlando has is being 45 minutes from the beach.

-History isn't a big plus for Orlando, I agree, if anything Charlotte might have a tad more. What Orlando does have though is a more historical look. If you were to start at Park Avenue, you could go for a 15 mile bike loop in a square passing through nothing but historic charming bungalow streets, business districts and parks. I could be wrong (and hope I am, because if so I would like to check it out), but I don't believe an area like Park Avenue exists in Charlotte. Also, there are other towns in the Orlando area with New England style charm, like Mount Dora, Winter Garden and Sanford.

-Can't really speak to the weather as I haven't personally experienced it. Are the summers significantly more mild than Orlando?

-Nothing against Charlotte either, I always like learning more about what cities have to offer (on the positive side), and so it's cool to hear about some of the great things that are in the area.

Charlotte is #2 to NYC in finance and banking jobs. A lot of investment banking, venture capital companies, etc. Orlando doesnt have this, lots of banks with the retail, customer side of things but not the big money makers like investment bankers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 07:33 AM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 9,867,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
I dont know how anyone would prefer relentless heat n humidity to 4 mild seasons.
Ha, I don't think anyone does.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:15 AM

^^^ There are some. Or at least they say they prefer it.

Old 05-24-2015, 03:37 PM
PDF

So Greenville only has a city population of the 61 thousand? I'm a bit surprised by that. What I've seen looks nice, though.

Old 05-24-2015, 03:43 PM

the city itself, yes

i think GVL MSA is like 1 million. the city itself... actually i thought it was a big bigger than 61k. i thought it was around 100k but i cant remember.

Greenville is one of the best places to live in the US. great pride in the community, the pppl there love it. tons of Floridians, 4 mild seasons, low col, great economy for a city if its size too.

Old 05-24-2015, 03:46 PM
PDF

Quote:
the city itself, yes

i think GVL MSA is like 1 million. the city itself... actually i thought it was a big bigger than 61k. i thought it was around 100k but i cant remember.

Greenville is one of the best places to live in the US. great pride in the community, the pppl there love it. tons of Floridians, 4 mild seasons, low col, great economy for a city if its size too.
The Carolinas definitely has some great smaller cities. Besides Charlotte, places like Raleigh, Durham, and Asheville have always looked appealing. Some other states (that aren't CA, NY, TX, or FL) would love to have some good options like that.

Old 05-24-2015, 04:19 PM

Asheville is my favorite city- but the economy is more geared to snowbirds/tourists/wealthy retirees. Greenville SC is only 45 mins to an hour away though. Boom! Problem solved. Live somewhere in between and you got tons of options as far as dining, scenery, things to do, jobs/economy. Pick one, cant go wrong with either.

Just for **** and giggles...

my fav cities are Greenville, Asheville, St Augustine, Amelia Island/Fernandina Bch, Alpharetta and Charlotte.

Old 05-24-2015, 04:39 PM

4,647 posts, read 3,020,220 times
Quote:

my fav cities are Greenville, Asheville, St Augustine, Amelia Island/Fernandina Bch, Alpharetta and Charlotte.
Interesting list of favorites. I admit that it's a great suburb, but what is it that causes you to include Alpharetta if you don't mind?

Old 05-24-2015, 04:47 PM
PDF

Quote:
Asheville is my favorite city- but the economy is more geared to snowbirds/tourists/wealthy retirees. Greenville SC is only 45 mins to an hour away though. Boom! Problem solved. Live somewhere in between and you got tons of options as far as dining, scenery, things to do, jobs/economy. Pick one, cant go wrong with either.

Raleigh seems like a great mixture. I was looking into it recently. If anything, that's the Carolina city I'd most compare to Orlando.

Old 05-24-2015, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Interesting list of favorites. I admit that it's a great suburb, but what is it that causes you to include Alpharetta if you don't mind?

It reminds me of Lake Mary down here in FL, but with hills and much better scenery. Many of my friends here in FL have moved up there. I couldnt live in Atlanta (too big, too much crime, too congested) but I love the idea of being 45 mins to an hour away, but still have plenty of things you need to see/do right there in Alpharetta. It doesnt compare to Asheville or Greenville. I like St Augustine because its in my home state and its still has some character/charm.

I forgot to add Savannah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or