U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather live in Greenville SC or Orlando FL area?
Orlando 40 54.79%
Greenville SC 33 45.21%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-21-2015, 01:38 PM

27,749 posts, read 24,763,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Asking Questions View Post
When people say Charleston is historic, what they really mean is it was involved in the two wars. So they have a bias for war related history.
That's part of it, but that's not the primary reason. What they mean is that it is old (by American standards), had regional and national significance, and has preserved most of its historic sites, of which there are many; indeed, Charleston is home to the oldest community based historic preservation organization in America. Charleston has one of the largest collections of colonial-era homes and buildings in the country.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 06:46 PM

110 posts, read 80,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's part of it, but that's not the primary reason. What they mean is that it is old (by American standards), had regional and national significance, and has preserved most of its historic sites, of which there are many; indeed, Charleston is home to the oldest community based historic preservation organization in America. Charleston has one of the largest collections of colonial-era homes and buildings in the country.
Charleston had more rich people. Rich people always preserve their history.

Nobody seems to care about the history of the poor people who lived in Greenville back in the day. But those people were tough as nails. Not living off the labor of other people, ettc.

HOw many people know Amelia Earhart flew her plane into the Anderson SC airport?

How many people know the following:

In the late 1800s, Anderson boasted numerous textile mills. Anderson engineer William Whitner produced a way for electricity to be conducted by wires to these mills using hydroelectric power. Anderson was the first city in the United States to have a continuous supply of electric power and the first in the world to create a cotton gin operated by electricity.

I think that is pretty cool. Most people in SC have no idea who William Whitner is.

Old 06-21-2015, 08:37 PM

3,464 posts, read 2,575,937 times
"Rich people preserve their history better." Compelling statement. I see the point, but not certain I agree. Also interesting history you pointed about Anderson, BTW. However, if you take a look at Even some poorer Eastern European, Latin American and Middle Eastern countries they seem to have done a phenomenal job preserving their history. Charleston has going for it that it was probably one of the 5 or at least 10 most influential cities in the US until the Civil War. However after that point in time, unlike other cities that continued their patterns of growth, Columbia took over as the dominant city in the state and there wasn't the industrial and population growth that there were in certain cities. Hence why a city like Charleston likely looks more European than just about any city in America.

Also, even without all the preservation that has been done, it was just a super prominent city.

Old 06-21-2015, 10:33 PM

110 posts, read 80,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelander1991 View Post
"Rich people preserve their history better." Compelling statement. I see the point, but not certain I agree. Also interesting history you pointed about Anderson, BTW. However, if you take a look at Even some poorer Eastern European, Latin American and Middle Eastern countries they seem to have done a phenomenal job preserving their history. Charleston has going for it that it was probably one of the 5 or at least 10 most influential cities in the US until the Civil War. However after that point in time, unlike other cities that continued their patterns of growth, Columbia took over as the dominant city in the state and there wasn't the industrial and population growth that there were in certain cities. Hence why a city like Charleston likely looks more European than just about any city in America.

Also, even without all the preservation that has been done, it was just a super prominent city.
i'm not anti-Charleston. I lived there for a year.

for me, Charleston will always seem like the capital of the south, even if others are bigger.

Charleston looks European? I had not heard that before. Some say that about Greenville's downtown.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:42 AM

27,749 posts, read 24,763,128 times
Quote:
Charleston had more rich people. Rich people always preserve their history.

Nobody seems to care about the history of the poor people who lived in Greenville back in the day. But those people were tough as nails. Not living off the labor of other people, ettc.

HOw many people know Amelia Earhart flew her plane into the Anderson SC airport?

How many people know the following:

In the late 1800s, Anderson boasted numerous textile mills. Anderson engineer William Whitner produced a way for electricity to be conducted by wires to these mills using hydroelectric power. Anderson was the first city in the United States to have a continuous supply of electric power and the first in the world to create a cotton gin operated by electricity.

I think that is pretty cool. Most people in SC have no idea who William Whitner is.
I don't think it's that nobody cares about the history of poor people who lived in Greenville (or anywhere else), but in most cases there's just not as much to preserve especially since it wasn't a very populous place early on. Charleston used to be one of the largest cities in the country for several decades.

Old 06-22-2015, 02:07 PM

3,464 posts, read 2,575,937 times
Greenville SC area vs Orlando FL area-1.jpg

Greenville SC area vs Orlando FL area-2.jpg

Greenville SC area vs Orlando FL area-3.jpg

Greenville SC area vs Orlando FL area-4.jpg

Greenville SC area vs Orlando FL area-6.jpg

Greenville SC area vs Orlando FL area-7.jpg
Quote:
i'm not anti-Charleston. I lived there for a year.

for me, Charleston will always seem like the capital of the south, even if others are bigger.

Charleston looks European? I had not heard that before. Some say that about Greenville's downtown.
Quiz for the day. Europe or Charleston? 3 of these pictures are within Charleston, while the other 3 are in Prague, Copenhagen and Norwich.

Edit: After looking, it is clear that Europe looks more European (lol), but that Charleston isn't doing a half bad job being European-ish.

Old 06-23-2015, 05:12 AM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 9,855,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelander1991 View Post
Attachment 152310

Attachment 152311

Attachment 152312

Attachment 152313

Attachment 152314

Attachment 152315

Quiz for the day. Europe or Charleston? 3 of these pictures are within Charleston, while the other 3 are in Prague, Copenhagen and Norwich.

Edit: After looking, it is clear that Europe looks more European (lol), but that Charleston isn't doing a half bad job being European-ish.
Once you've been to those places, it's hard to look at a city like Charleston and say it even comes close to replicating the European feel/design.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:29 AM

10,292 posts, read 11,692,832 times
The rule on this forum should be "don't compare metro's with a 1 million+ population" at least not H2H.

Old 09-15-2015, 04:01 AM

1,910 posts, read 1,674,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Once you've been to those places, it's hard to look at a city like Charleston and say it even comes close to replicating the European feel/design.
I beg to disagree!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or