U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather live in Greenville SC or Orlando FL area?
Orlando 40 54.79%
Greenville SC 33 45.21%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 05:36 AM

252 posts, read 251,250 times

Advertisements

I don't care about skyline views, skyline is just vertical office space, hardly exciting

Greenville has enough nightlife, plenty of bars

I think describing Greenville as 'brown' in winter is a bit overstated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 06:39 AM

8,964 posts, read 5,692,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I'm moving to Orlando soon. I already live in Florida and the Carolinas aren't for me, except maybe Charlotte.
charlotte is fantastic. i think its the best big city in the south. easily.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock Student View Post
I don't care about skyline views, skyline is just vertical office space, hardly exciting

Greenville has enough nightlife, plenty of bars

i completely agree. not sure why everyone seems to think view of tall buildings is so great. esp when you can see mountains (in some areas) from Greenville.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:48 AM

weather - Greenville
economy - Greenville
entertainment - Orlando
people - Greenville
safety - tie, both good and bad in locations
food/arts/culture - Orlando
cost of living - Greenville
schools - hard to say, both have good and bad obviously
scenery/topography - Greenville, thats easy

Old 05-15-2015, 07:42 AM

3,447 posts, read 5,584,708 times
Quote:
Oh really because many great urban parks in the US have them, ie: Central in NYC, Piedmont in Atlanta, Grant in Chicago, and even Lake Eola in Orlando. If it's not your thing fine, but that vertical office space is important to all cities including Greenville. If all of a sudden Michelin moved it's corporate office out of BFE and onto Main Street the demand for just about everything else you praise Greenville for would skyrocket.

Quote:
Umm not really:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...aa2970ad93.jpg

Now look up a photo of Lake Eola in downtown Orlando in winter and you'll see the difference. And again I'm not saying one is any better than the other but just pointing out an aesthetically displeasing thing about Greenville to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
charlotte is fantastic. i think its the best big city in the south. easily.
This is a debate for another thread, but I'm willing to have it, just come on over and give it a try.

Quote:
i completely agree. not sure why everyone seems to think view of tall buildings is so great. esp when you can see mountains (in some areas) from Greenville.
Well this isn't Nature-data, we're not discussing (by and large) the building, planning, and comparison of national parks, etc. Urban parks (preferably with skyline views lol) like Falls Park is an entirely different story.

Quote:
weather - Greenville
economy - Greenville
entertainment - Orlando
people - Greenville
safety - tie, both good and bad in locations
food/arts/culture - Orlando
cost of living - Greenville
schools - hard to say, both have good and bad obviously
scenery/topography - Greenville, thats easy
The weather is subjective to everyone in these discussion. An easy argument could be made for mild weather October through May in Orlando with year round warmth and green.

Orlando may have a tourist heavy economy, but you can't be serious that Greenville has a better economy overall.

People are people everywhere. Did I find the overtly southern and "churchy" attitude difficult when I lived there, sure, but let's be honest you'll find whatever types your looking for just about anywhere these days.

Housing is cheaper in the upstate, but costs usually go up with how desirable a place is, and Orlando is a steal of a city for the cost of it. When my then girlfriend but now wife told here SC family that we were moving back to Florida we got lectured about how hard it was going to be to live.

While I agree that housing costs more, I've noticed most things do not. Actually we showed her dad how he pays more than us to control the climate of his house year round due to having heating bills in winter that we don't have combined with similar costs to air condition in summer.

Actually my wife was a teacher and Florida starts them 10k more per year and doesn't tax your check the way SC does so we actually live more comfortably here than there. My profession is also more highly paid down here too with a state minimum wage nearly double that of SC which just defaults to the federal for tipped employees.

And lastly the topography argument. Sure everybody loves the mountains, I mean Asheville, the GSM national park, ahh what a great retreat to have an hour or so from your house. Kinda reminds me how nice it is having Canaveral National Seashore, or Cocoa Beach about the same distance from my house. But you don't see me saying, "Why would anyone live in the Carolinas and not live right in the elevation?" Because let's be honest, with exception to a tiny portion of SC, NC stole all the glory in this department.

Not to mention on the subject of topography, that I'm rather fond of our beautiful lake and rivers which are everywhere in urban Central Florida and on your way to the coast. So you can't just say, oh because Greenville has some hills and is in the piedmont it is more appealing. Heck I'll take flat with tropical foliage blooming in February that hilly and dead (at least during that time of year).

Last edited by OrlFlaUsa; 05-15-2015 at 07:44 AM.. Reason: fixed quote

Old 05-15-2015, 08:57 AM

nobody in greenville cares about michelin except people who work there. Michelin locating downtown wouldn't change anything other than more people working downtown. Maybe a few more restaurants.

I like a change of seasons and fall color and rebirth in spring.

Greenville is the closest city with jobs to the mountains in North Carolina. I prefer upstate SC to most of western NC, although I do love the Nantahala River and Chimney Rock.

Greenville was blooming in early March this year.

You also have to deal with hurricianes, pay a lot for hurricane insurance on your house in Florida. Probably a lot more bug issues too due to being kind of swampy around there. Not to mention it is a lot hotter in the summer.

Good thing about Greenville is its location is close to the mountains but not far from the beach and to bigger cities.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
nobody in greenville cares about michelin except people who work there. Michelin locating downtown wouldn't change anything other than more people working downtown. Maybe a few more restaurants.
The point remains that it would be great for Greenville to locate more and more jobs in that lovely downtown.

Quote:
I like a change of seasons and fall color and rebirth in spring.
Yes I enjoyed that too but my lifestyle now is literally dependent on the Florida weather.

Quote:
Greenville is the closest city with jobs to the mountains in North Carolina.
Yes, just ask Asheville and they'll tell you this is true.

Quote:
Greenville was blooming in early March this year.
But that's not average right? It's usually a couple weeks later which does account for quite a few months without trees compared to Florida.

Quote:
You also have to deal with hurricianes, pay a lot for hurricane insurance on your house in Florida. Probably a lot more bug issues too due to being kind of swampy around there. Not to mention it is a lot hotter in the summer.
Ahh yes, finally an answer to that pesky question about why anyone would live an hour inland in Florida. These signs usually point to locations in Florida just like Orlando

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...HFJgmDpouUgxdy

Old 05-15-2015, 09:13 AM

I prefer less people in downtown Greenville. More people won't make it better. It is the park, bridge, trees anda restaurants that make it nice.

There aren't many jobs in Asheville. Ask people in Asheville.

I have nothing against Orlando. I'd prefer to live in jacksonville if I had to live in Florida though. If i live in a flat area it will be near the beach.

for a week or two in the winter, i prefer Orlando to greenville.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:19 AM

Quote:
I prefer less people in downtown Greenville. More people won't make it better. It is the park, bridge, trees anda restaurants that make it nice.

There aren't many jobs in Asheville. Ask people in Asheville.

I have nothing against Orlando. I'd prefer to live in jacksonville if I had to live in Florida though. If i live in a flat area it will be near the beach.

for a week or two in the winter, i prefer Orlando to greenville.
Yup I was agreeing with you about Asheville. Hardly any jobs except coffee shops and Biltmore Estate tour guides lol.

For me the biggest problem with living in the Upstate was that for major concerts, flights, and stuff that I've grown up taking for granted in Orlando, I had to drive to Charlotte for.

To this day my wife and I contemplate a move back to the Upstate to be closer to her dad in Campobello. We've considered basically anywhere in Gville County to the north of the city. I wouldn't mind it so much in theory, but when we start crunching the numbers and taking away the things to do we would forfeit to move back, the idea just kinda falls back into obscurity.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:40 PM

all good points. i see both sides too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or