U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather live in Greenville SC or Orlando FL area?
Orlando 40 54.79%
Greenville SC 33 45.21%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 08:59 AM

5,169 posts, read 3,448,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
I feel you. Because of Orlando punching well above its weight class, I've shrugged off half baked plans to move up a teir to cities like Miami and Atlanta.

You guys have a good thing going on down there, and I continue to be impressed with each visit. I love Atlanta, but I'm seriously considering moving back in a few years. Luckily I work from home, and can live anywhere. And no State Income Tax is just a bonus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 06:23 AM

8,964 posts, read 6,214,419 times
i'd pick Greenville but like things about Orlando.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:23 AM

3,736 posts, read 2,962,169 times
In general, I think I'd tend to pick Orlando here.

Even though Orlando's museum/culture scene is somewhat small, with the DP here now, it almost certainly surpasses Greenville area.

I like watching sports, and so I value the fact that there is major college sports, MLS and NBA within 20 minutes, and NHL, NFL and MLB within an hour and a half if the need arises.

Orlando also does have a bunch of random destinations, while the theme parks can get old sometimes, they are still cool to have, and there are neat little communities scattered around CFL.

The one game changer for me would be temperature, and I suppose also terrain. I have very seriously considered the Smoky Mountain Region (Morgantown, Asheville and Charlottesville especially), and what appears like mild temperatures and beautiful scenery and downtowns seems very attractive there.

However, based on this picture (uploaded), the topography of Greenville seems to be better than Orlando, but not all that great.

First question: Is there actually some pretty good terrain/parks, within say, a half hour of the city? It looks to me like it would be about an hour to get to Asheville where the terrain actually starts, which is great for say, weekends, but it isn't something locals can regularly take advantage of with schedules.

Second question: Also related to terrain. Is the weather there really all that much more mild during the summers than Orlando? I don't enjoy Florida summers, and so that would be a gamechanger for me, but honestly, it doesn't look all that different. Historical climate data shows that while Asheville has beautiful summers with temps mild in the low 80s and cool mornings, Greenville's June and July temps don't look much cooler than those of Orlando, and there wouldn't be a mountain breeze to boot. Also, Greenville seems to go straightaway to having not quite as pleasant winters, still decent, but not great.

Third question: I've seen people post positive reviews of Charlotte, what exactly is it there that is a draw? I think it has a bunch of high skyscrapers, opportunities to work in corporate, and isn't terribly far away from mountains, but, while this is stereotyping, I see it as having worse traffic than Orlando, but minus the beaches, theme parks that Orlando has, and with even fewer unique neighborhoods/culture and more cookiecutterness. Maybe that's just a misinformed impression, but that's just what I've seen.
Attached Thumbnails
Greenville SC area vs Orlando FL area-greenvillesc.jpg  

Old 05-19-2015, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelander1991 View Post

Even though Orlando's museum/culture scene is somewhat small, with the DP here now, it almost certainly surpasses Greenville area.

I like watching sports, and so I value the fact that there is major college sports, MLS and NBA within 20 minutes, and NHL, NFL and MLB within an hour and a half if the need arises.

Orlando also does have a bunch of random destinations, while the theme parks can get old sometimes, they are still cool to have, and there are neat little communities scattered around CFL.

The one game changer for me would be temperature, and I suppose also terrain. I have very seriously considered the Smoky Mountain Region (Morgantown, Asheville and Charlottesville especially), and what appears like mild temperatures and beautiful scenery and downtowns seems very attractive there.

However, based on this picture (uploaded), the topography of Greenville seems to be better than Orlando, but not all that great.

First question: Is there actually some pretty good terrain/parks, within say, a half hour of the city? It looks to me like it would be about an hour to get to Asheville where the terrain actually starts, which is great for say, weekends, but it isn't something locals can regularly take advantage of with schedules.

Second question: Also related to terrain. Is the weather there really all that much more mild during the summers than Orlando? I don't enjoy Florida summers, and so that would be a gamechanger for me, but honestly, it doesn't look all that different. Historical climate data shows that while Asheville has beautiful summers with temps mild in the low 80s and cool mornings, Greenville's June and July temps don't look much cooler than those of Orlando, and there wouldn't be a mountain breeze to boot. Also, Greenville seems to go straightaway to having not quite as pleasant winters, still decent, but not great.

Third question: I've seen people post positive reviews of Charlotte, what exactly is it there that is a draw? I think it has a bunch of high skyscrapers, opportunities to work in corporate, and isn't terribly far away from mountains, but, while this is stereotyping, I see it as having worse traffic than Orlando, but minus the beaches, theme parks that Orlando has, and with even fewer unique neighborhoods/culture and more cookiecutterness. Maybe that's just a misinformed impression, but that's just what I've seen.

The pic posted is of downtown Greenville. It is relatively flat but once you leave the downtown area, it is definitely more hilly than FL. In some of the northern areas of Greenville, it gets very hilly and you can see the mountains from your home. It is hot in the summer but not AS hot as FL, and the humidity doesnt last nearly as long. Winters are mild compared to the north. I think its practically perfect b/c you get 4 mild seasons. Asheville is about 45 mins to an hour away, but Greenville has everything unless you want to be IN the mountains. But again, parts of Greenville are very hilly and have mountain views in some areas.

Charlotte is my fave big city. BIG sports culture there, the ppl are pretty darn friendly for a big city, and I dont find traffic to be worse there either. Good jobs and economy.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:50 PM

11,787 posts, read 26,703,564 times
Quote:

There are some good terrain/parks. Check out Paris Mountain. http://www.southcarolinaparks.com/pa...pm-trails.aspx The summers here can get hot in the day like Orlando but the humidity is nothing like Orlando. It also cools off in the evening and the morning unlike Orlando. The other thing is the heat lasts much longer in Orlando. It starts to get hot here in May and goes until about September. In Orlando, it starts in March and sometimes goes until November. As for the winters, I don't like really cold weather. In Greenville, you do get cold days. It's the night and morning that are the coldest. You do get sunshine many days. For the most part, you get nice days of 50-60's in between. The cold days can start in the 20's and only get up to the mid to upper 30's. The winters here or colder months last from January to February. (which I don't care for) March starts warming up very nicely. The rest of the year is pretty pleasant to me.

Charlotte is what it is, a city, if that is what you are looking for. It has plenty to offer. I don't think the traffic is any worse than Orlando. The reason it gets positive reviews is because it is a desirable place to live with a low COL, affordable house prices, decent climate and not too far from the mountains. Yes, it can be hike to the beach but there are several nice lakes close that everyone goes.

Don't get me wrong, I like Orlando as well and lived in Lake Mary for 13 years before moving to Greenville. I just want to give you my perspective of Greenville now that I live here.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:55 PM

29,696 posts, read 27,133,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
Charlotte is my fave big city. BIG sports culture there, the ppl are pretty darn friendly for a big city, and I dont find traffic to be worse there either. Good jobs and economy.
Wait, are we talking about Charlotte, North Carolina????? I used to live there and am still rather fond of the city, but a big sports culture it does not have (unless you're talking about NASCAR, and even then, it's a lot bigger with people on the outskirts than in the core of the metro area). Its professional teams don't have the deep roots of other franchises and there's not much team loyalty during the losing seasons. Being a city full of transplants, it's not uncommon to see a bunch of black and yellow at BOA Stadium when the Steelers are in town. Certainly the sports culture is growing and as the Panthers and Hornets get more winning seasons under their belt, it will continue to improve. But as of now, I just can't say that it has a big sports culture.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:12 PM

I disagree. I've been to many games that were sold out. And remember, I'm comparing to Orlando, wich is transient and has more transplants. If you got to a Bucs game, a Magic game, etc. you're always gonna say a huge NY Giants or NY Knicks crowd, Brooklyn Nets and Philly 76 ers crowd, etc.

Basketbal is huge in Charlotte as there are sooo many young and educated professionals that went to UNC/Duke/WF/NC State living in the Charlotte area. And the Panthers have a huge following as well. I know the Hornets/Bobcats had some rough yrs, but earlier on, the Charlotte Hornets had the largest crowds in the NBA.

And then of course, you have Nascar which is also very big in Charlotte. I love Charlotte, and I find the ppl to be so friendly for a large city. 4 mild seasons, great c.o.l., etc.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:20 PM

29,696 posts, read 27,133,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetSmarts View Post
I disagree. I've been to many games that were sold out. And remember, I'm comparing to Orlando, wich is transient and has more transplants. If you got to a Bucs game, a Magic game, etc. you're always gonna say a huge NY Giants or NY Knicks crowd, Brooklyn Nets and Philly 76 ers crowd, etc.

Basketbal is huge in Charlotte as there are sooo many young and educated professionals that went to UNC/Duke/WF/NC State living in the Charlotte area. And the Panthers have a huge following as well. I know the Hornets/Bobcats had some rough yrs, but earlier on, the Charlotte Hornets had the largest crowds in the NBA.

And then of course, you have Nascar which is also very big in Charlotte. I love Charlotte, and I find the ppl to be so friendly for a large city. 4 mild seasons, great c.o.l., etc.
Perhaps if you're comparing Charlotte or Orlando one might say Charlotte has a big sports culture, particularly since Charlotte has both NFL and NBA but in general? No, not really. The Panthers have posted good attendance figures in recent years, but it's still a fairly new franchise. As far as basketball goes, it wasn't very long ago that the then-Bobcats used to ranks consistently towards the bottom in NBA attendance figures; there's some excitement now that the team has its original name back and attendance has improved lately due to that. The fact of the matter is that college basketball is what reigns supreme in NC; the sports culture in the Triangle is noticeably bigger than that in Charlotte. As far as professional sports go, cities like Pittsburgh, Boston, and Chicago with storied franchises are cities that TRULY have big sports culture.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:38 AM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 10,464,395 times
Quote:
I love Charlotte. It's a great city and is only getting better, much like Orlando is. Actually, when I look at Orlando's growth, I compare it to two places: Charlotte and Tampa. Orlando is obviously going the way of Charlotte and not just standing still like Tampa is.

Charlotte has good public transit, pro sports teams, is family friendly, has a good nightlife scene, walkable area, lots of things to do, a major international airport, and overall is growing. I actually almost decided on Charlotte instead of Orlando. Plus Charlotte has Publix now.

The draw for both cities is equal, I'd say. And I think people are much more likely to move to Charlotte instead of Orlando. It's an economic/regional powerhouse. Unless people are really deeply researching into Orlando like I have, they will go to Charlotte by default. I certainly wouldn't mind living there.

I'm a big city guy, and Charlotte is definitely one of the better examples going on in the US right now.

Old 05-20-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I love Charlotte. It's a great city and is only getting better, much like Orlando is. Actually, when I look at Orlando's growth, I compare it to two places: Charlotte and Tampa. Orlando is obviously going the way of Charlotte and not just standing still like Tampa is.

Charlotte has good public transit, pro sports teams, is family friendly, has a good nightlife scene, walkable area, lots of things to do, a major international airport, and overall is growing. I actually almost decided on Charlotte instead of Orlando. Plus Charlotte has Publix now.

The draw for both cities is equal, I'd say. And I think people are much more likely to move to Charlotte instead of Orlando. It's an economic/regional powerhouse. Unless people are really deeply researching into Orlando like I have, they will go to Charlotte by default. I certainly wouldn't mind living there.

I'm a big city guy, and Charlotte is definitely one of the better examples going on in the US right now.

Oh, I'd take Charlotte over Orlando anyday. Better economy, far more stable, and I find the people much friendlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or