U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Oklahoma City vs Atlanta
Oklahoma City 18 16.67%
Atlanta 90 83.33%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 06:21 PM

779 posts, read 650,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
...you do realize that there are natural disasters EVERYWHERE, right?

There was a tornado that touchdown in downtown Atlanta, as a mater of fact.

Nature is inescapable.
Let's not try and make it seem as though all cities have natural disasters in equal proportion. I grew up in Central California and never have we experience anything close to the Tornadoes that happen in OKC or the blizzards that occur in the Mid West. Some cities simply have more dangerous weather than others, it's not a matter of opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 06:38 PM

9,086 posts, read 12,866,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
Yeah of course Atlanta, But come on folks some of you are making Atlanta out to be the land of milk and honey,..Put Atlanta up against real cities like Boston or DC or even Seattle and Denver and see what happens. Atlanta doesn't have much character soul. urbanity/for a city it's size
Spoken like someone who does not know Atlanta well.Denver and Seattle have natural beauty.Seattle comes closer but Denver lacks a lot before it can be in he same league as Atlanta.For one a subway.

Old 04-06-2015, 07:37 PM
JJG

12,918 posts, read 18,423,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongNote View Post
Let's not try and make it seem as though all cities have natural disasters in equal proportion. I grew up in Central California and never have we experience anything close to the Tornadoes that happen in OKC or the blizzards that occur in the Mid West. Some cities simply have more dangerous weather than others, it's not a matter of opinion.
Things that are California:

- Earthquakes
- Forest Fires
- Mudslides
- Major Floods
- (rare, but still possible) Hurricanes

All those range for as bad or worse than tornadoes. It's not like Oklahoma City gets a tornado every single week around this time of the year.

No such thing as a perfect place...

Old 04-07-2015, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Things that are California:

- Earthquakes
- Forest Fires
- Mudslides
- Major Floods
- (rare, but still possible) Hurricanes

All those range for as bad or worse than tornadoes. It's not like Oklahoma City gets a tornado every single week around this time of the year.

No such thing as a perfect place...
I grew up in California, never experienced one of those events.... OKC gets 52 tornadoes a year.... I'm not sure what you're trying to argue exactly, but you seem to be in denial.

Certain parts of California have bad earthquakes, but even those are rare when compared to OKC and it's tornadoes.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:07 AM
JJG

12,918 posts, read 18,423,303 times
I'm not "arguing" anything.

I'm pointing out that no matter where you go, you will have some kind of natural issues yo deal with.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjg View Post
i'm not "arguing" anything.

I'm pointing out that no matter where you go, you will have some kind of natural issues yo deal with.
ok.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:46 AM

7,258 posts, read 3,288,416 times
Quote:
I'm not "arguing" anything.

Few places have more frequent extreme weather than central Oklahoma and no city sees more destructive weather more often than OKC. This city gets hit by weak tornadoes a few times per year on average and gets hit by a significant tornado once every 2-3 years. Native okies love storm season and go outside to spot when the sirens go off. As a transplant I don't understand it and never will. I do agree that there are natural disasters that can happen everywhere (though I just can't compare Arizona heat or Minnesota blizzards to tornadoes, earthquakes, and hurricanes), in the OKC area it is frequent enough that it really affects quality of life.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:33 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,513,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Yay, a chamber of commerce video. Surely, everything there is to know about Oklahoma City will be in this video!
I tried to like OKC, even tried to find a good reason to move there because I would have been able live in a mansion and would have had a high paying job. But it's just not for me. No way. I would have been totally miserable.

And yes, the weather there is terrible, absolutely brutal. It's super hot and there is just too much extreme violent type weather that is too frequent.

I have been to OKC dozens of times, and I have never seen it as green as what is shown in this video. You can tell the saturation has been cranked way up in many of the clips in that video.

I honestly can't think of a single reason to live in OKC over Atlanta other than it's a smaller city with no traffic so if you don't like cities, then yea, OKC would probably be an option. But even then, you can live in a nice suburb of Atlanta and still have a much better quality of life than some barren suburb of OKC or really the only suburb that anybody seems to think highly of (Edmond). That is one overrated place. Flat, barren and nothing but megachurches and walmarts.

OKC has a nice skyscraper (that is way too tall for the town) and that's about it. Other than that it not only doesn't offer a lot, it punches below most towns of similar size. They are trying, but with what they have to work with (location, weather, ultra conservative culture etc), they will never really compete with most major metros when it comes to quality of life (urban vibrancy, recreation, amenities etc).

It is what it is. I mean, I would live there before I would live in Salina KS or Jackson MS or almost any other place that is not near a major thriving metro or amazing recreational area like Vail, CO or something, but of the top 50 metros it would probably be dead last in my book.

Atlanta wins.

Last edited by kcmo; 04-07-2015 at 01:10 PM..

Old 04-07-2015, 01:10 PM

7,258 posts, read 3,288,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I tried to like OKC, even tried to find a good reason to move there because I would have been able live in a mansion and would have had a high paying job. But it's just not for me. No way. I would have been totally miserable.

And yes, the weather there is terrible, absolutely brutal. It's super hot and there is just too much extreme violent type weather that is too frequent.

I have been to OKC dozens of times, and I have never seen it as green as what is shown in this video. You can tell the saturation has been cranked way up in many of the clips in that video.

I honestly can't think of a single reason to live in OKC over Atlanta other than it's a smaller city with no traffic so if you don't like cities, then yea, OKC would probably be an option. But even then, you can live in a nice suburb of Atlanta and still have a much better quality of life than some barren suburb of OKC or really the only suburb that anybody seems to think highly of (Edmond). That is one overrated place. Flat, barren and nothing but megachurches and walmarts.

OKC has a nice skyscraper (that is way too tall for the town) and that's about it. Other than that it not only doesn't offer a lot, it punches below most towns of similar size. They are trying, but with what they have to work with (location, weather, ultra conservative culture etc), they will never really compete with most major metros when it comes to quality of life (urban vibrancy, recreation, amenities etc).

It is what it is. I mean, I would live there before I would live in Salina KS or Jackson MS or almost any other place that is not near a major thriving metro, but of the top 50 metros it would probably be dead last in my book.

Atlanta wins.
This pretty much sums it up.

Not only does OKC punch below its weight compared to its peer cities, it compares unfavorably to the tier below as well. Cities that most people don't consider to be real cities like Albuquerque, Omaha, and Des Moines all have much more to offer than OKC does. You really have to get down to the 500k population range before OKC starts to look good. If given the choice I would live here over Amarillo, Lubbock, Jackson MS, or any rural area but in terms of top 50 or even top 75 metro areas it would be dead last. From my personal perspective, despite the fact that moving here has been a great career move I have to admit that doing so was the worst mistake of my life. OKC is a very dreary, depressing, miserable place to live.

This city enjoyed brisk growth during the Great Recession because of its low unemployment and abundance of available jobs in the energy sector but I think that is coming to an end as the economy improves in areas that are actually desirable.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:20 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,513,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
This pretty much sums it up.

Not only does OKC punch below its weight compared to its peer cities, it compares unfavorably to the tier below as well. Cities that most people don't consider to be real cities like Albuquerque, Omaha, and Des Moines all have much more to offer than OKC does. You really have to get down to the 500k population range before OKC starts to look good. If given the choice I would live here over Amarillo, Lubbock, Jackson MS, or any rural area but in terms of top 50 or even top 75 metro areas it would be dead last. From my personal perspective, despite the fact that moving here has been a great career move I have to admit that doing so was the worst mistake of my life. OKC is a very dreary, depressing, miserable place to live.

This city enjoyed brisk growth during the Great Recession because of its low unemployment and abundance of available jobs in the energy sector but I think that is coming to an end as the economy improves in areas that are actually desirable.
Very true. I would choose Albuquerque, Omaha, and Des Moines in a heartbeat over OKC. All are actually quite nice cities for their size.

We do a lot of biz trips to OKC from DC and all the locals in the DC area have one thing to say about OKC. They have a lot of all you can eat buffets! But none can fathom the lifestyle there, especially for those working at the FAA campus which is like an isolated complex of prison buildings located in the desert compared to most people's place of work in the DC area. Completely different world there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City