U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Oklahoma City vs Atlanta
Oklahoma City 18 16.67%
Atlanta 90 83.33%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-08-2015, 06:49 AM

60 posts, read 63,578 times

Advertisements

Food - Atlanta

Cost of living - Oklahoma City

Traffic - Oklahoma City

Job market - Atlanta

Single females - Atlanta

People - Atlanta

Quality of living - Atlanta

Weather - Atlanta

Adult entertainment - Atlanta

Surrounding cities - Atlanta

I think Atlanta fits you better.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 08:33 AM

7,258 posts, read 3,274,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
See that's the problem with you Atlantans,.You think because you have a few major corporate HQs and a airport that you're SOOOOO much better than everybody, Atlanta is cool for a few days, beautiful even,.but After a few days after you 've seen all the expensive tourist attractions what else is there to Atlanta.....What go to Lenox Square for the thousandth time?..Yaaawn after about a week or so Atlanta gets boring Quick and thats sad for a metro of 6 million people
Maybe compared to NYC, San Fran, Los Angeles, etc, but compared to OKC, Atlanta might as well be Paris. I would move there in a heartbeat no questions asked and no regrets if such an opportunity came up. OKC is little more than an excuse to stop for gas and McDonalds along I-40. If you wanted to think outside of the box and really do everything that is available you could do it all in a single day.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:59 PM

1,043 posts, read 799,629 times
Reminder: don't feed the trolls.

Now, as for the topic at hand...Oklahoma City has its positives from both a real life standpoint and a C-D standpoint. OKC's population is bigger than Atlanta's, and it makes up a larger proportion of its metro population (46%) versus Atlanta's (8%). The traffic is better in Oklahoma City (or, at the very least, lighter). The cost of living is lower in OKC than Atlanta. OKC's economy has been doing fairly well over the last few years, and they have a more successful major league sports team (the Thunder).

Both cities suffer from reactionary state governments and adverse weather, although I'd say the latter is perceived to be more extreme in OKC.

I would give everything else to Atlanta. That's not a knock on Oklahoma City; I neither like nor hate it. Atlanta's not sunshine and rainbows, there's some despicable crap that goes on here that keeps the quality of life here from being better than it is. At the end of the day though, I don't think this is a particularly fair comparison.

- skbl17

Old 04-08-2015, 08:26 PM

2,851 posts, read 5,427,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
Reminder: don't feed the trolls.

Now, as for the topic at hand...Oklahoma City has its positives from both a real life standpoint and a C-D standpoint. OKC's population is bigger than Atlanta's, and it makes up a larger proportion of its metro population (46%) versus Atlanta's (8%). The traffic is better in Oklahoma City (or, at the very least, lighter). The cost of living is lower in OKC than Atlanta. OKC's economy has been doing fairly well over the last few years, and they have a more successful major league sports team (the Thunder).

Both cities suffer from reactionary state governments and adverse weather, although I'd say the latter is perceived to be more extreme in OKC.

I would give everything else to Atlanta. That's not a knock on Oklahoma City; I neither like nor hate it. Atlanta's not sunshine and rainbows, there's some despicable crap that goes on here that keeps the quality of life here from being better than it is. At the end of the day though, I don't think this is a particularly fair comparison.

If Atlanta were to annex it's neighbor Dekalb county it would have a population of 1.1 million and at 403 square miles would still be significantly smaller in area than Oklahoma City.

- skbl17
Come on now. You know thats only because OKCs area is 621 Square miles compared to ATLs only 132.

Suburban Gwinnett county outside Atlanta has way more people than OKC. 859,000 compared to OKCs 610,000 and it has them in only 437 square miles. That's almost 200 square miles less than OKC.

You guys read way way too much into that small Atlanta population. Atlanta is a small city in area but that's only because of lines drawn by history and politics. Because of Georgia's municipal laws it's practically impossible for a city to keep annexing land until it is as large as OKC or KC Kansas or San Antonio but Atlanta's urban footprint and influence is much greater than it's statistics indicate.

If Atlanta annexed its neighbor Dekalb county into the city it would have a population of 1.1 million and still be significantly smaller in area than Oklahoma City with only 420 square miles.

Last edited by Galounger; 04-08-2015 at 08:47 PM..

Old 04-08-2015, 08:46 PM

7,258 posts, read 3,274,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Come on now. You know thats only because OKCs area is 621 Square miles compared to ATLs only 132.

Suburban Gwinnett county outside Atlanta has way more people than OKC. 859,000 compared to OKCs 610,000 and it has them in only 437 square miles. That's almost 200 square miles less than OKC.

You guys read way way too much into that small Atlanta population. Atlanta is a small city in area but that's only because of lines drawn by history and politics. It's urban footprint and influence is much greater than it's statistics indicate.

If Atlanta annexed its neighbor Dekalb county into the city it would have a population of 1.1 million and still be significantly smaller in area than Oklahoma City with only 420 square miles.
In OKC's defense (and I am no fan of the place at all), over half of that 621 square miles rural and undeveloped. If the city de-annexed its undeveloped land it could make its density numbers look much better without losing a lot of people. There are plenty of reasons to dislike OKC (culture, politics, weather, urban amenities) but the official density number is misguided. It doesn't matter anyways though because Atlanta's metropolitan area population is approaching 6 million. Oklahoma City is only barely 1.3 million. That metropolitan area population figure is much more important than the city limits.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:53 PM

5,783 posts, read 6,335,815 times
Quote:

You're all over the place with this. City population comparisons?! Ratio of city-metro population? That's like me using Jax's city population (which is likely much larger than both) and its ratio (probably close to 60%) to trump this thread.

Also, very odd to say they have the more successful major league sports team. Currently, the Thunder is tied for the last spot in the playoffs while the Hawks are practically locked into the number one spot in the east. If you're talking about previous years, then I believe the Hawks, Falcons and Braves have a far more decorated history than the Thunder.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:57 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,264,225 times
I know city comparos have been redundant on this board for quite some time but was this comparison meant to thrash OKC?

What's next? San Francisco vs Charlotte?

Old 04-09-2015, 12:30 AM

1,043 posts, read 799,629 times
Yeesh, tough crowd. Fine, I redact my statement on OKC/ATL city limits and metropolitan population proportions, and admit that they are absolutely not relevant to the purpose of a comparison between Oklahoma City and Atlanta.

(I also swear and affirm that this post and my previous post in this thread are not made in jest or a condescending manner towards any C-D users or the populations, governments, and private institutions of Oklahoma City and Atlanta, nor is this a jab at the annexation and municipal governance laws of the State of Georgia, State of Oklahoma, and the tabulation procedures and data gathering methods of the U.S. Census Bureau.)

- skbl17

Old 04-09-2015, 05:21 PM

2,851 posts, read 5,427,284 times
Quote:
Yeesh, tough crowd. Fine, I redact my statement on OKC/ATL city limits and metropolitan population proportions, and admit that they are absolutely not relevant to the purpose of a comparison between Oklahoma City and Atlanta.

(I also swear and affirm that this post and my previous post in this thread are not made in jest or a condescending manner towards any C-D users or the populations, governments, and private institutions of Oklahoma City and Atlanta, nor is this a jab at the annexation and municipal governance laws of the State of Georgia, State of Oklahoma, and the tabulation procedures and data gathering methods of the U.S. Census Bureau.)

- skbl17
Sorry if I'm a bit testy about the subject but the Atlanta Metro is blasted relentlessly about being the Antichrist of sprawl not only by City Data members but by the national media even. And it's just so absurd when there are sooo many large Metros in America that have the same or lower density than Metro Atlanta but nobody says anything about their sprawl.

Alot of people see Atlanta's low population and automatically jump to assumptions about the city. They don't realize that a lot of those larger cities like Jacksonville, Indianapolis, etc. have area's in their city limits that are less urban than many of our close in suburbs.

They also ignore the fact that our density figures are about the same or more than many of these cities.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:23 PM

178 posts, read 242,108 times
Hotlanta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City