U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Oklahoma City vs Atlanta
Oklahoma City 18 16.67%
Atlanta 90 83.33%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 06:25 PM

5,591 posts, read 5,517,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
I know city comparos have been redundant on this board for quite some time but was this comparison meant to thrash OKC?

What's next? San Francisco vs Charlotte?
Nah, it's just that a couple of the guys who spend a good bit of their time on this board trashing OKC have found this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 07:49 PM

202 posts, read 273,313 times
It's funny I moved to okc from my hometown of grand rapids, mi and I haven't had any problems with entertainment going to concets and such. I have also lived all over the south Atlanta is cool just not for me. What I don't like about okc is the state politics.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:47 PM

9,086 posts, read 12,864,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
See that's the problem with you Atlantans,.You think because you have a few major corporate HQs and a airport that you're SOOOOO much better than everybody, Atlanta is cool for a few days, beautiful even,.but After a few days after you 've seen all the expensive tourist attractions what else is there to Atlanta.....What go to Lenox Square for the thousandth time?..Yaaawn after about a week or so Atlanta gets boring Quick and thats sad for a metro of 6 million people
Well that just your ignorance.ignorance. Thats not meant as an insult but its a response to an a very uninformed post you made.
For starters I cant tell you the last time I went Lenox Mall.lolEspecially with all the shopping options in the metro like Atlantic Station,Perimeter Mall,L5Petc.
and now Buckhead Atlanta with its extremely upscale offerings.

Not even talk about the great food and restaurants from Midtown to Buckhead and Buford Hwy eclectic international cuisine.

There are countless music festiovals like Shaky Knees,Tomorrowworld,Counterpoint,and the one of largest free Jazz concert in the U,S,The world largets hip hop festival AC3 hip hop.

Piedmont Park is AMAZING and then the BeltLine is also busy every beautiful day.

Rafting on the Chattahoochee river is fun

I live for Dragoncon!Its so much fun with all the costumes.
Georgia Tech Football and black college Football at the AUC where the halftime battle of the bands is the real show ala "DrumLine"

You can go catch a Braves ,Hawks or Falcons game and soon professional Soccer.
Then there is Stone Mountain Park.I go there many times a year.

Six Flags and Whitewater Amusement parks.

You can drive to several areas within a few hours of Atlanta also.

Next week Im driving to Jacksonville Florida for a wedding.

For St ,Patrick Day weekend I was in Savannah for what can only be described as a "Mardi Gras" type crowd and in while smaller still a crowd that seems every bit as big and lively as is in NOLA.

Last week some friends and i went hiking in the North GA mountains near a German Bavarian inspired village of Helen GA and nearby waterfalls at Ruby Falls.

The Masters Golf tournament is just a under a 2 hour drive in Augsta which I cant get tickets but we are gonna just to see all the commotion.

In a few weeks we are going whitewater rafting n Columbus Georgia.

I mean its always something going on especially in the summer so yes i stand by my statement that you are totally ignorant on this subject and should explore before you speak

Old 04-09-2015, 10:49 PM

9,086 posts, read 12,864,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick View Post
Yes, coming from someone who lives in the hills of E.Tennessee... YAWN to you..Nothing sad about Atlanta, but for the lack of knowledge outsiders have, or ones who come here for a day or two.. Have fun in Sevierville???
Oh thats where Dolly Parton is from!lol.
Im sure it NEVER gets boring there,lol

Old 04-15-2015, 05:38 PM

315 posts, read 242,290 times
Not a great comparison although some stuff OKC can claim a W like less traffic......a more slow going lifestyle less hustle and bustle.....even the economic indicators could be in OKC's favor(I don't know) but in most other aspects it should be ATL by a huge margin they just tend to offer so much more on a much bigger level then other SE cities for the most part.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:58 AM

13,057 posts, read 12,480,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Atlanta....not even close.

Better to compare OKC with Albuquerque
or Tulsa.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
There is a lot to dislike about it. Things like the right-wing politics, lack of culture, general unfriendliness to transplants, and lack of natural beauty. The dealbreaker for me is the tornadoes. They make what otherwise is a barely livable city unlivable. I don't understand how native okies can put up with extreme weather every year and not think twice about it or how they can rebuild multiple times. You can go 150 miles in any direction from OKC and escape most of the worst weather.
You forgot to throw in the nuisance of the daily earthquakes in the Oklahoma City area with earth scientists fearing a record breaking one is coming between 6.5 and 7.0 in magnitude.

For the latest Oklahoma earthquakes: http://stillwaterweather.com/okareaearthquakes.php

Old 04-20-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
...you do realize that there are natural disasters EVERYWHERE, right?

There was a tornado that touchdown in downtown Atlanta, as a mater of fact.

Nature is inescapable.
It's hard to remember when a tornado touched down in downtown OKC.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongNote View Post
I grew up in California, never experienced one of those events.... OKC gets 52 tornadoes a year.... I'm not sure what you're trying to argue exactly, but you seem to be in denial.

Certain parts of California have bad earthquakes, but even those are rare when compared to OKC and it's tornadoes.
You mean the state of Oklahoma gets 52 tornadoes a year, not OKC.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
This pretty much sums it up.

Not only does OKC punch below its weight compared to its peer cities, it compares unfavorably to the tier below as well. Cities that most people don't consider to be real cities like Albuquerque, Omaha, and Des Moines all have much more to offer than OKC does. You really have to get down to the 500k population range before OKC starts to look good. If given the choice I would live here over Amarillo, Lubbock, Jackson MS, or any rural area but in terms of top 50 or even top 75 metro areas it would be dead last. From my personal perspective, despite the fact that moving here has been a great career move I have to admit that doing so was the worst mistake of my life. OKC is a very dreary, depressing, miserable place to live.

This city enjoyed brisk growth during the Great Recession because of its low unemployment and abundance of available jobs in the energy sector but I think that is coming to an end as the economy improves in areas that are actually desirable.
Oklahoma City is like the Oklahoma panhandle. You have to be born and raised there in order to have a good chance of appreciating living there. I can't remotely understand why anyone would want to live in the Oklahoma panhandle, but maybe I could if I was born and raised there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City