U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-08-2015, 07:44 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis
2,332 posts, read 2,882,504 times
Reputation: 3897

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Those are only the largest metros listed. There are metro areas in the Midwest growing at faster rates than MSP.
Not in terms of raw numbers, which is what this list is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-08-2015, 09:32 PM
 
283 posts, read 329,876 times
Reputation: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
Give me a slow growth metro that grows enough to keep everything the locals like and not enough to make the locals irritable and nervous.
You've just described Philadelphia, practically perfectly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2015, 03:48 PM
 
Location: Tokyo, Japan
6,479 posts, read 7,711,641 times
Reputation: 7295
2010-2014:
- Des Moines-West Des Moines, IA Metropolitan Statistical Area: + 7.36%
- Columbus, OH Metropolitan Statistical Area: + 4.87%
- Madison, WI Metropolitan Statistical Area: + 4.68%
- Omaha-Council Bluffs, NE-IA Metropolitan Statistical Area: + 4.52%
- Indianapolis-Carmel-Anderson, IN Metropolitan Statistical Area: + 4.42%
- Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI Metropolitan Statistical Area: + 4.37%
- Grand Rapids-Wyoming, MI Metropolitan Statistical Area: + 3.92%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2015, 05:20 PM
 
178 posts, read 242,316 times
Reputation: 127
Houston has always been fast growing.....

HOUSTON, FASTEST GROWING BIG CITY, SHOWING SIGNS OF HAVING HIT PRIME - NYTimes.com

"Houston, the fastest rising big city in America in the 1970's. Metropolitan Houston add nearly a million people in the 1970's. Based on a number of indicators, it is even possible to pinpoint what may turn out to be Houston's zenith in terms of sheer growth in numbers: the year 1978. In that year, according to Census estimates and the Chamber of Commerce's research division, the metropolitan area's population grew by 97,200. People from other parts of the country have continued to flood into town in search of jobs since then, but at a slower rate. In every year since 1978, there have been fewer people added to the population. After the peak of 97,200 in 1978, the number of new residents dropped to 93,200 in 1979 and 89,000 in 1980."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2015, 09:03 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis
2,332 posts, read 2,882,504 times
Reputation: 3897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
2010-2014:
- Des Moines-West Des Moines, IA Metropolitan Statistical Area: + 7.36%
- Columbus, OH Metropolitan Statistical Area: + 4.87%
- Madison, WI Metropolitan Statistical Area: + 4.68%
- Omaha-Council Bluffs, NE-IA Metropolitan Statistical Area: + 4.52%
- Indianapolis-Carmel-Anderson, IN Metropolitan Statistical Area: + 4.42%
- Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI Metropolitan Statistical Area: + 4.37%
- Grand Rapids-Wyoming, MI Metropolitan Statistical Area: + 3.92%
I will reiterate, the numbers in the opening post and the subject of this thread is raw growth, not percentage. Minneapolis is the fastest growing metro in the Midwest in terms of raw growth, there are some smaller metros that are growing faster in percentage terms. Actually, before the recession Chicago was the fastest growing metro in the Midwest for decades, in terms of raw numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2015, 12:28 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis (St. Louis Park)
5,991 posts, read 7,916,967 times
Reputation: 4208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
2010-2014:
- Des Moines-West Des Moines, IA Metropolitan Statistical Area: + 7.36%
- Columbus, OH Metropolitan Statistical Area: + 4.87%
- Madison, WI Metropolitan Statistical Area: + 4.68%
- Omaha-Council Bluffs, NE-IA Metropolitan Statistical Area: + 4.52%
- Indianapolis-Carmel-Anderson, IN Metropolitan Statistical Area: + 4.42%
- Minneapolis-St. Paul-Bloomington, MN-WI Metropolitan Statistical Area: + 4.37%
- Grand Rapids-Wyoming, MI Metropolitan Statistical Area: + 3.92%
He said raw numbers (if you're trying to emphasize the TC's there, which is what it looks like). Obviously MSP didn't grow by more than 7.36%, which is quite fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2015, 06:59 PM
 
492 posts, read 994,406 times
Reputation: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookintomove15 View Post
Houston has always been fast growing.....

HOUSTON, FASTEST GROWING BIG CITY, SHOWING SIGNS OF HAVING HIT PRIME - NYTimes.com

"Houston, the fastest rising big city in America in the 1970's. Metropolitan Houston add nearly a million people in the 1970's. Based on a number of indicators, it is even possible to pinpoint what may turn out to be Houston's zenith in terms of sheer growth in numbers: the year 1978. In that year, according to Census estimates and the Chamber of Commerce's research division, the metropolitan area's population grew by 97,200. People from other parts of the country have continued to flood into town in search of jobs since then, but at a slower rate. In every year since 1978, there have been fewer people added to the population. After the peak of 97,200 in 1978, the number of new residents dropped to 93,200 in 1979 and 89,000 in 1980."
This article was printed 35 years ago, thanks for keeping us up to date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2015, 10:08 PM
 
Location: The Dirty South.
1,567 posts, read 1,307,283 times
Reputation: 1087
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjester View Post
This article was printed 35 years ago, thanks for keeping us up to date.
Well to this day Houston is still growing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top