Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 01:22 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,581,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on kool aid View Post
[

These two really surprised me. I would have bet serious money that more Seattleites and Portlanders would head to SF over LA.

No surprise that NYC appears on every list but that LA also does is totally unexpected. Especially since the data are from 2010-2011, when LA's unemployment numbers were still very high.

I thought SF, DC and the Texas cities would appear on many more lists. SF-Bay Area because of the massive tech sector and its high desirability; DC as a recession-proof employment center; Texas for its hot job market and low cost of living.

I haven't looked at the source pdf, but does anyone know?

Phoenix is clearly a major migration target. So, what are the top destinations for outbound Phoenicians?
He literally did it by county. Of course LA County would be on many people's list: LA County has 10 million people and covers a lot more land than SF County, that has 800,000 and only 46 square miles, or New York County that is literally JUST Manhattan (1.6 million people in 33 square miles).

That's pretty lazy. When I have time, which isn't now, I'll do the metro to metro calculations. It'll be a lot of work so maybe someone can give a head start.

LA area might be the easiest to start since it's LA-OC (for MSA), and LA, OC, Ventura, San Bernardino and Riverside county (for CSA)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2015, 01:32 PM

282 posts, read 348,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
He literally did it by county. Of course LA County would be on many people's list: LA County has 10 million people and covers a lot more land than SF County, that has 800,000 and only 46 square miles, or New York County that is literally JUST Manhattan (1.6 million people in 33 square miles).

That's pretty lazy. When I have time, which isn't now, I'll do the metro to metro calculations. It'll be a lot of work so maybe someone can give a head start.

LA area might be the easiest to start since it's LA-OC (for MSA), and LA, OC, Ventura, San Bernardino and Riverside county (for CSA)
That would take hours and hours. Too much work

Old 04-04-2015, 01:55 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,581,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAE50 View Post
That would take hours and hours. Too much work
It is! If it was summer break, I'd be more than happy to (over like a week period). Not all counties are created equally, which is why it's misleading to calculate things this way.

Old 04-04-2015, 02:00 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,232,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Train View Post
Because the weather is better.
And because of the entertainment industry. Tons of New Yorkers and Angelenos work in the entertainment industry, so there is HUGE cross pollination.

I am one of them. Lived in both cities. Love both cities.

Old 04-04-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Train View Post
Because the weather is better.
No, this is almost never the case.

New Yorkers fleeing cold weather typically are going to warm destinations in the SE U.S., especially FL. CA is too far and too expensive, and not that warm, if your primary motivation is warm weather. Florida is hotter, cheaper and closer.

Old 04-04-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
No surprise that NYC appears on every list but that LA also does is totally unexpected.
Why unexpected? These are the two biggest metros. LA is twice the size of any other U.S. metro. NYC is even bigger.

It would be very odd if NYC and LA were not near the top of virtually every migration list.

Old 04-04-2015, 02:16 PM

779 posts, read 920,335 times
Wow, 'lot of people moving to NYC.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:23 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,789,930 times
I thought Atlanta would be higher on the Miami list. It seems like NYC's diversity of personalities reflects in the diverse array of cities New Yorkers migrate to. None of the top 5 cities on NYC's list, favor each other(FTL doesn't count).

Old 04-08-2015, 01:50 PM

5,425 posts, read 5,646,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongNote View Post
Wow, 'lot of people moving to NYC.
Why do you think lots of cities are "flooded with New Yorkers", while NYC is still growing by a lot in absolute numbers? NYC is flooded by people from other parts of the country as well.

Old 04-08-2015, 03:01 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,305,050 times
Quote:
New York City
1. Los Angeles
2. Philadelphia
3. Miami
4. Ft. Lauderdale
5. San Francisco

LA feels like it's inundated with New Yorkers. Feelings confirmed; but why are they coming here vs other large cities like Chicago?

Seattle
1. Los Angeles
2. New York City
3. Portland
4. San Francisco
5. San Diego

Portland
1. Seattle
2. Los Angeles
3. New York City
4. San Francisco
5. Phoenix

These two really surprised me. I would have bet serious money that more Seattleites and Portlanders would head to SF over LA.

No surprise that NYC appears on every list but that LA also does is totally unexpected. Especially since the data are from 2010-2011, when LA's unemployment numbers were still very high.

I thought SF, DC and the Texas cities would appear on many more lists. SF-Bay Area because of the massive tech sector and its high desirability; DC as a recession-proof employment center; Texas for its hot job market and low cost of living.

I haven't looked at the source pdf, but does anyone know?

Phoenix is clearly a major migration target. So, what are the top destinations for outbound Phoenicians?

Just a personal observation but when I lived in Portland the majority of people I knew who decided to relocate moved to LA. After that the relocaters went from Portland to Texas and Arizona. I knew a few New Yorkers who returned to NYC because they missed it. I don't think I knew a single person in the thirty odd years I lived in Portland who ever moved to SF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City