U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Maryland, more in common with Connecticut or North Carolina?
Connecticut 68 43.59%
North Carolina 88 56.41%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 08:53 AM

11,904 posts, read 9,637,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Its Neither. Lived here all my life, and the only time NC is mentioned is if some one was driving through it. Same with New England. Nothing alike. People are different, speak different, and even have a difference between the Eastern Shore and the Baltimore Washington Area. We say there is no life across the Bay Bridge, and they say we are just a bunch of chicken farmers. Differences are Major... Especially the people.

Now if your comparing the dirt and the water, there are many States like Maryland, Delaware, and Virginia. Any State with an Ocean bordering it.
Well of course Maryland isn't a twin of either. It shares similarities with both but I think in some aspects, important ones, it leans more like Connecticut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 08:56 AM

27,623 posts, read 24,832,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Anyone else notice North Carolina went from 15 to 32 votes in about 10 minutes? I guess someone really wants NC to be the answer.
You can't complain about the polls you lose and not the ones you win. There was a poll not that long ago where most people said Maryland was more similar to New Jersey than Connecticut even though...

1. NJ's population is heavily titled toward NY/CT.
2. NNJ and SW CT are part of the same MSA
3. NNJ and SW CT are part of the same media market
4. NNJ and CT have similar settlement patterns
5. NYC's influence stretches deep into both NJ and CT

If that poll was fair, then why isn't this one?

Old 04-07-2015, 11:32 AM

7,249 posts, read 5,548,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
You can't complain about the polls you lose and not the ones you win. There was a poll not that long ago where most people said Maryland was more similar to New Jersey than Connecticut even though...

1. NJ's population is heavily titled toward NY/CT.
2. NNJ and SW CT are part of the same MSA
3. NNJ and SW CT are part of the same media market
4. NNJ and CT have similar settlement patterns
5. NYC's influence stretches deep into both NJ and CT

If that poll was fair, then why isn't this one?
South Jersey is most similar to Maryland, specifically the eastern portions of the Baltimore area.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:51 AM

1,219 posts, read 972,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Today, would you say Maryland is similar to states like Connecticut (or Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Hampshire) or is it more similar to North Carolina? Geographically, Maryland is right in the middle, but I'm sure tons of folks would admit Maryland probably has more historical ties to North Carolina. However, what about today? Do you think Baltimore is more similar to Raleigh or Hartford? Just in terms of ties with other states, suburban vs rural aspects, migration patterns, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
I ain't from New Yawk.
Bajan is from Philly not NY.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:49 PM

11,904 posts, read 9,637,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
South Jersey is most similar to Maryland, specifically the eastern portions of the Baltimore area.
25% of NJ's population lives in South Jersey. I did the math. 75% lives in the NYC metro. I'd thought it was a 1/3 to 2/3 thing... it's closer to 25/75.

Old 04-07-2015, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Doesn't seem that similar. Cecil County, for example, has a higher Italian % than Baltimore County, but still much lower than South Jersey's.

U.S. counties with high percentage of Italian Americans - The National Italian American Foundation

Gloucester (24.4%)
Atlantic (18.3%)
Camden (18.2%)
Cape May (17.1%)
Burlington (16.3%)
Cumberland (15.6%)
Baltimore (7.1%)
Harford (9.5%)
Cecil (6.3%)

Old 04-07-2015, 02:48 PM

Cumberland County, NJ would by far be the most Hispanic county in Maryland at 28.6%. A little over half of that is Puerto Rican. Atlantic County is 18.2% Hispanic with the majority of that being people of Puerto Rican and Dominican descent. Camden clocks in at 15.4% but is a much more diverse county overall (and the largest in SJ). Burlington and Gloucester are 7.5% and 5.4%, respectively.

From a demographic perspective, South Jersey and Harford look very different, though I suppose one could could compare limited portions of South Jersey to the eastern Baltimore suburbs. But then why do that?

Old 04-08-2015, 11:42 AM

6,212 posts, read 7,044,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holbrook Taylor Parks View Post
Where most people live in central Md is more like CT, but the eastern shore is more like NC. I'd say overall CT.
This. Specifically Southwest CT.

I would also add that Western MD is similar to Western NC.

And even though Southern MD can feel more like Virginia than NC, I guess you can say this part of my state is similar to parts of NC for the sake of this thread.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:46 AM

6,212 posts, read 7,044,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Potomac, MD is about identical to Fairfield, CT where my father grew up.

The eastern shore is very similar to NC's shore just without the crab emphasis.
Yep. Chevy Chase or North Bethesda might be similar to Greenwich, CT as well.

I wonder what's each state's equivalent to Ellicott City. Don't know about CT, maybe Chapel Hill in NC?

Old 04-08-2015, 12:10 PM

I don't see Central Maryland being that similar to Southwestern CT either. The largest ethnicity there is Italian followed by Irish. The only demographic similarity I see between the two places is a notable Jewish presence in Montgomery County. Fairfield has a large Puerto Rican/Dominican presence whereas MoCo is almost entirely Central American.

None of these places are really similar. Maryland is a mashup of Germans from Pennsylvania, English Tidewater settlers, a large African American population, and a sprinkle of White ethnics and much more recently Hispanics and Asians. Overall, it still has a WASPier feel. Outside of the Northeast, CT has a reputation of being a WASP bastion, but that image is about as outdated as Los Angeles' reputation for being a low density city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or