U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 12:40 PM

11,144 posts, read 22,257,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy215267 View Post
Living where its four seasons my whole life. I don't get lazy. I still do as much as i do in the winter well maybe not as much but just enough. You cant stay in the house the whole time. I Actually like being out and about in the city. The vibe is COLD but its still fun in a way to me. If the temps are crazy like 10 degrees and lower if i dont have to be out i wont...but when you work you gotta do what you gotta do. Heck people work in it all day and night. Summer time i hate the sweat and sticky. I hang out a bit more because i dont want to be in the house on a nice summer night.
One reason I like being out and about in the winter is you can go all around the north side and downtown areas here and all the tourists are gone. You get to have the place to yourselves with the locals for the most part before the "confused hoards" come back around May.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 06:40 PM

47,328 posts, read 45,103,928 times
Speaking from my personal experience, cold weather has never been a factor in me being lazy. If anything, I want to go outside when it's cold, and when it snows. I live in Georgia, so snow is kind of rare. However, the summers are quite hot and humid. Summer is the one time of the year where I want to take a nap in the middle of the day.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:26 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,587,197 times
It never really gets lower than 50 routinely here but the only thing [relatively] cold weather does to me that can be perceived as 'laziness' is make it harder to get out from under the covers at first in the morning. Luckily there are things like having to go to the bathroom, or getting up for work, or needing to get something in my stomach that forces the issue. It is clear sailing from there though. I assume the OP is more referring to brutal winter weather though, which I don't have any continuous long term experience with really.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:45 PM

465 posts, read 425,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I find that I feel more lethargic in summer than in winter. When it's hot and gross outside, I just want to be in the air conditioning. When autumn comes, I'm happier and have lots more energy.
Same here. I'm a hermit in the summer time. I wasn't put on this earth for hot weather. Come autumn, I'm happier and more energetic.

Old 04-08-2015, 08:55 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,743,126 times
Definitively no. The opposite.

Time says: No.
Spoiler
(Most Active)
1. Boulder, CO
2. Santa Fe, NM
3. Medford, OR
4. Santa Cruz, CA
5. Boise, ID
6. Arvada, CO
7. Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
8. Burlington, VT
9. Bellingham, WA
10. Santa Rosa, CA
11. Denver, CO
12. Chapel Hill, NC
13. Seattle, WA
14. Salinas, CA
15. Aurora, CO

Men's Health says: Also no.
Spoiler
(Most to Least Active)
1. Seattle, WA
2. San Francisco, CA
3. Oakland, CA
4. Washington, DC
5. Salt Lake City, UT
6. Reno, NV
7. Portland, ME
8. Atlanta, GA
9. Denver, CO
10. Minneapolis, MN
91. Birmingham, AL
92. Laredo, TX
93. Nashville, TN
94. Little Rock, AR
95. Tulsa, OK
96. Oklahoma City, OK
97. Charleston, WV
98. Jackson, MS
99. Indianapolis, IN
100. Lexington, KY

HuffPost says: Still no.
Spoiler
(Most Active)
1. Portland, OR
2. Boise, ID
3. Salt Lake City, UT
4. Minneapolis, MN
5. St. Paul, MN
6. Denver, CO
7. Seattle, WA
8. Madison, WI
9. Oakland, CA
10. Aurora, CO

BusinessInsider says: Nope.
Spoiler
(Least Active)
1. Tuscaloosa, AL
2. Huntington, WV
3. Birmingham, AL
4. New Orleans, LA
5. Orangeburg, SC
6. Memphis, TN
7. Wichita Falls, TX
8. Tulsa, OK
9. Oklahoma City, OK
10. Fayetteville, NC

Forbes says: ...what do you think?
Spoiler
(Most Healthy)
1. Minneapolis, MN
2. Washington, DC
3. Boston, MA
4. Portland, OR
5. Denver, CO
6. San Francisco, CA
7. Hartford, CT
8. Seattle, WA
9. Virginia Beach, VA
10. Sacramento, CA

Livability.com says: ....................
Spoiler
(Most Healthy)
1. Minneapolis, MN
2. Cambridge, MA
3. Madison, WI
4. Miami, FL
5. Bridgeport, CT
6. Arlington, VA
7. Santa Ana, CA
8. Honolulu, HI
9. Fort Collins, CO
10. Yonkers, NY

Additionally...

WalkScore:
Spoiler
1. New York, NY
2. San Francisco, CA
3. Boston, MA
4. Philadelphia, PA
5. Miami, FL
6. Chicago, IL
7. Washington, DC
8. Seattle, WA
9. Oakland
10. Baltimore

Bicycling Top 50:
Spoiler
1. Minneapolis, MN
2. Portland, OR
3. Boulder, CO
4. Seattle, WA
5. Eugene, OR
6. San Francisco, CA
7. Madison, WI
8. New York, NY
9. Tucson, AZ
10. Chicago, IL

Fitbie Top Bike Share Programs:
Spoiler
1. Washington, DC (Capital Bikeshare)
2. Minneapolis, MN (Nice Ride)
3. Miami Beach, FL (DecoBike)
4. Denver, CO (B-Cycle)
5. Boston, MA (Hubway)

ParkScore:
Spoiler
1. Minneapolis, MN
2. New York, NY
3. Portland, OR
=. Boston, MA
=. San Francisco, CA
6. Washington, DC
7. Denver, CO
=. Sacramento, CA
9. San Diego, CA
10. Aurora, CO
51. Jacksonville, FL
52. Santa Ana, CA
53. Memphis, TN
=. San Antonio, TX
55. Oklahoma City, OK
56. Mesa, AZ
57. Charlotte, NC
58. Indianapolis, IN
=. Louisville, KY
60. Fresno, CA

ParkScore - % Residents within 1/2 mile of park:
Spoiler
1. Boston, MA (40%)
=. New York, NY (40%)
=. San Francisco, CA (40%)
=. Washington, DC (40%)
5. Minneapolis, MN (38%)
=. Philadelphia, PA (38%)
=. Seattle, WA (38%)
8. Chicago, IL (36%)
9. Aurora, CO (34%)
=. Baltimore, MD (34%)
=. Denver, CO (34%)
=. Milwaukee, WI (34%)
=. Oakland, CA (34%)
=. Portland, OR (34%)
=. Riverside, CA (14%)
=. Phoenix, AZ (14%)
=. Las Vegas, NV (14%)
51. Houston, TX (14%)
52. Bakersfield, CA (10%)
=. Oklahoma City, OK (10%)
=. Memphis, TN (10%)
55. Nashville, TN (8%)
56. San Antonio, TX (6%)
57. Louisville, KY (4%)
=. Jacksonville, FL (4%)
=. Indianapolis, IN (4%)
60. Charlotte, NC (2%)

Old 04-09-2015, 08:20 AM

6,475 posts, read 6,149,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty124 View Post
Hmmmm interesting responses so far.

For those of you who have lived in both cold and warm/mild climates: Do you find it harder to get up and start your day in a colder climate?
Yes, but that is more related to the short length of the winter day, for me. Getting up in the dark and going home in the dark wears on you after a while.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:57 AM

1,425 posts, read 1,273,053 times
Quote:
Would living in a cold city possibly make you lazier because you have to always be bundled up to go outside, even if it's just a block away. Can anyone who has lived in both cold and warm/mild climates care to elaborate on this? Has your laziness and level of productivity changed? Do you feel like you accomplish more things and have more motivation in warmer weather?
When I lived in areas with cold weather I found I didn't necessarily want to get up and do whatever/go where ever, but begrudgingly would. Tended to get more done there since you had to pack a lot into the good weather days.

However, when the weather got better I tended to do more if there was more to do, but my productivity level wasn't great (too busy enjoying the weather I guess).

But when I moved to Asheville where there was less to do, but still had pretty great weather my activity level went down, but my productivity level is up (sometimes).

So I'd say when the weather is nicer, especially for longer stretches of the year, it's easier to procrastinate since you know you can do whatever you need to do whenever.

Although I don't think this holds for very hot weather/very hot and humid weather since it makes it more difficult to do the smallest things.

In cold weather you can always put on another layer.

Not to mention activity level also seems to be something that's part of the culture in a lot of areas. Whether or not that has anything to do with the weather I couldn't really say.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:26 AM

888 posts, read 751,283 times
Historically and currently the most productive and innovative cites on the planet have cold weather (Tokyo, Paris, London, Tehran, New York, Vienna, Berlin, Moscow, Stockholm, Boston, Toronto, Chicago, Buenos Aries, Beijing etc.). You may be sluggish in the morning (until that first cold breath of air, that'll wake you up) but I wouldn't call the artistic and financial capitals of the world lazy.

Last edited by spencer114; 04-12-2015 at 08:38 AM..

Old 04-12-2015, 09:05 AM

678 posts, read 909,358 times
Quote:
Hi everyone. I know this sounds silly, but I am curious about this and also worried.

Would living in a cold city possibly make you lazier because you have to always be bundled up to go outside, even if it's just a block away. Can anyone who has lived in both cold and warm/mild climates care to elaborate on this? Has your laziness and level of productivity changed? Do you feel like you accomplish more things and have more motivation in warmer weather?

So do you think there's any truth to this? Or do people just use the cold as an excuse to be lazy?
Or could the cold perhaps motivate you to get up and do everything and be more productive than warm/mild weather?
Well, it makes you depressive... Having lived n Montreal, cold months tend to make you really depressive...

Old 04-12-2015, 09:13 AM

309 posts, read 204,325 times
It's the opposite. When it's cold, you just put on a few more clothes and go. If you need to be outside, physical activity will keep you warm. When it is too oppressively hot, eventually you feel tired and sweaty and don't want to do anything apart from what you absolutely have to. Physical activity is also more exhausting in hot weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City