U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 09:21 AM

633 posts, read 848,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiegendesLicht View Post
It's the opposite. When it's cold, you just put on a few more clothes and go. If you need to be outside, physical activity will keep you warm. When it is too oppressively hot, eventually you feel tired and sweaty and don't want to do anything apart from what you absolutely have to. Physical activity is also more exhausting in hot weather.
go outside and do some running on a -40F with windchill... When it's cold, you just get exhausted really quick because it's harder to breathe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 09:24 AM

3,921 posts, read 5,049,778 times
No.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:24 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,156,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayo2k View Post
go outside and do some running on a -40F with windchill... When it's cold, you just get exhausted really quick because it's harder to breathe
Who goes running on a day with -40F windchill? I'd be more scared of falling and getting stuck out there than I would feel lazy.

Although I will say for some people who live in far northern areas winter darkness can cause depression, which can seem like laziness, but isn't.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:52 PM

11,016 posts, read 21,587,474 times
Quote:
Where would this even exist? We get days down to around -20F windchill, but we're talking a few days out of the year.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:26 PM

5,773 posts, read 6,974,947 times
Quote:
This argument is pretty invalid considering how extremely rare a day that cold is and that pretty much the only areas who do get that cold in this country are sparsely if at all populated.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:05 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,550,141 times
I actually think it's the opposite. When it's nice in a Cold city, You GO OUTSIDE. No questions.

In a warmer city, it's much easier to stay indoors where it's air conditioned.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:27 AM

2,121 posts, read 1,064,186 times
Having lived in Boston, in Maine, in the far Northwest, in Chicago, and in Texas and Louisiana, I definitely agree with most folks who said living in hot climates makes you lazier, not the opposite. We notice when we get down south for a medium long stay, that while we are energetically walking up to the store from the parking lot, natives are ambling along, taking three times as long. When it's hot we notice people slow down, walk slower, talk slower. I feel like an energy bunny beside those folks. If I lived down south long enough I too would slow down and live with the climate. It's a survival strategy.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:29 AM

1,699 posts, read 1,482,046 times
If you have constant good weather, you become more complacent. It's the difference between the grasshopper and the ant. The grasshopper doesn't need to plan for the future, he has a never-ending window of comfortable weather, the ant needs to plan for the winter.

In midwestern cities, the summer is definitely the active period. People live more in the summer, though not necessarily get more stuff done (at work). In the winter, it's usually work, eat, sleep, hibernate.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:36 AM

260 posts, read 159,270 times
Hotter weather makes people more lethargic.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:39 AM

4,925 posts, read 4,595,934 times
Obesity rates are higher in the South and the summer in the South is near unbearably hot and humid and you don't feel like doing anything but swimming and sitting in an air conditioned room. It is not fun. The falls and springs are amazing thou not as cold as up north, I say this as a citizen that has lived in AL, FL, KY and TN now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City