Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 06:31 PM

275 posts, read 415,831 times

Advertisements

It is definitely the other way around: warmer climates are associated with lazier people. For example, Yankees are stereotyped as cold and industrious. Southerners, on the other hand, are stereotyped as sanguine idlers. This association goes back to at least the American Revolution, when Thomas Jefferson made this observation in his Notes on Virginia. Interestingly, a similar stereotype is common in Europe, too. Britons and Germans usually seen as the efficient ones while the French and Italians are the lazy ones.

I would imagine that this stereotype stems from adaptations to local climates. Since colder places like New England could not support an economy based around agriculture, they were the first to embrace the industrial revolution and the work ethic that modern capitalism entails.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 06:01 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,899,460 times
I will only speak for myself regarding this matter. I'm 10x more active during summer months. I hate cold weather and struggle with walking my dogs in anything below 45. For people that work 9 to 5 jobs usually come and go at the coldest and most uncomfortable times of the day. Summer is just the opposite for my 9 to 5 people in terms of comfort. Outdoors activities such as fishing and hiking are a no go for me in sub-zero temperatures.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:20 AM

658 posts, read 1,335,167 times
If the development of modern societies around the world are any indication, then the opposite is true. The warmer climates are the ones that developed very slowly while the colder climates industrialized much earlier. Dont know if that is a reflection of weather or resources.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:25 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,464,617 times
They should have a PHD do a study on this topic, this topic is very interesting and an argument cold be made for both super extreme cold and super extreme heat makes people lazy, best weather is California like San Diego not too hot not too cold, probably why they have more active people in Southern California.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:38 AM

560 posts, read 666,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
They should have a PHD do a study on this topic, this topic is very interesting and an argument cold be made for both super extreme cold and super extreme heat makes people lazy, best weather is California like San Diego not too hot not too cold, probably why they have more active people in Southern California.
Then why isn't San Diego the most industrious city in California or the country?

Northern cities were more industrious than Southern cities...until the middle of the last century. Once Southern cities began installing central air conditioning in all of their offices and homes, they took off.

AC is the great equalizer. Look at how far Sunbelt boomtowns like Atlanta and Houston have come since the 1950s.

This is historically true in European countries too. And not just when comparing Scandinavia to Southern Europe. Within each country, it holds true.

Northern Spain (Bilbao, San Sebastian) is more industrious than Southern Spain (Sevilla). Bilbao is the Pittsburgh of Spain. Seville invented the mid-day siesta.

Paris and Northern France are more industrious than Nice/Cote d'Azur.

And in this country, until central AC came along, colder weather places had the advantage. Nowadays, cities in the North and South are more equal in non-farm jobs.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:39 AM

1,006 posts, read 1,511,814 times
If anything it makes you more fitter and in shape because you deal with things people in warmer climates don't.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:41 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,464,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paris-on-ponce View Post
Then why isn't San Diego the most industrious city in California or the country?

Northern cities were more industrious than Southern cities...until the middle of the last century. When Southern cities began installing central air conditioning in all of their offices and homes, they took off.

AC is the great equalizer. Look at how far Sunbelt boomtowns like Atlanta and Houston have come since the 1950s.

This is historically true in European countries too. And not just when comparing Scandinavia to Southern Europe. Within each country, it holds true.

Northern Spain (Bilbao, San Sebastian) is more industrious than Southern Spain (Sevilla). Bilbao is the Pittsburgh of Spain. Seville invented the mid-day siesta.

Paris and Northern France are more industrious than Nice/Cote d'Azur.

And in this country, until central AC came along, colder weather places had the advantage. Nowadays, cities in the North and South are more equal in non-farm jobs.
I am talking more about an active lifestyle and people who exercise more and are more into outdoors stuff, in terms of lazy people for working thats impossible to measure they have hard working and lazy people in every US City and state. No need to generalize.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:47 AM

560 posts, read 666,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
I am talking more about an active lifestyle and people who exercise more and are more into outdoors stuff, in terms of lazy people for working thats impossible to measure they have hard working and lazy people in every US City and state. No need to generalize.
I'm not generalizing or talking about laziness. I'm saying that working conditions - indoors, in factories and offices - in the Southern states were less forgiving and harder to endure until the advent of AC.

If you're talking about active lifestyles and suggesting people choose to get out and exercise more in pleasant climates than in harsher ones, than you're actually speaking more to laziness than I am.

Old 04-18-2015, 05:01 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,905,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fight_for_Freedom View Post
I'm from Chicago. I'm a different person between seasons. I have way more energy and positive vibes in the summer, and in the winter I get depressed and tired. I need to move somewhere sunny!
Just speaking of Chicago, you can see a big difference between winter and summer. Summer is amazing, tons of people in great mood, out all day and night, a lot of energy in the air in areas, etc. Winter, places are still buzzing with energy, but not outside like the summer is and people are smiling a little less. I have a friend here who ducks during the summer (so dumb to do in Chicago), but has spent a few weeks during the summer and finds it amazing how happy everyone is in summer but he feels there's a lot of half depressed people when he's living here during fall/winter/early spring.

I don't personally get depressed, but others do. I don't have a problem braving any sort of "cold" since I grew up in a colder environment, but it has sometimes made me think I'm not going to go all out on a January weekend night. However, there's still plenty of people freezing their asses off trying to get into the hottest clubs and bars in some areas anytime of the year. However, yeah I think there's a lot of people where it makes them lazy to go outside - not lazy in general, but just less apt to step outside if they don't need to.

Old 04-18-2015, 05:49 PM

78 posts, read 123,604 times
Living in Kansas City, I say yes, for me at least. If its too cold outside I'm just gonna watch netflix all day, forget working out. However on nice spring days, i like to go for walks at the park and i don't like to be indoors for too long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City