U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 11:01 PM

26 posts, read 24,677 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I know this sounds silly, but I am curious about this and also worried.

Would living in a cold city possibly make you lazier because you have to always be bundled up to go outside, even if it's just a block away. Can anyone who has lived in both cold and warm/mild climates care to elaborate on this? Has your laziness and level of productivity changed? Do you feel like you accomplish more things and have more motivation in warmer weather?

So do you think there's any truth to this? Or do people just use the cold as an excuse to be lazy?
Or could the cold perhaps motivate you to get up and do everything and be more productive than warm/mild weather?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 11:09 PM

240 posts, read 234,425 times
Surely do...A cold city makes me very uncomfortable...I live in NWA right now and travel to Phoenix on early Feb. In Phoenix, the weather is 80s and 20s in NWA with snow.....

I am looking forward to move to FL/CA sometimes in my life...

Old 04-06-2015, 11:11 PM

21 posts, read 26,275 times
I'm from Chicago. I'm a different person between seasons. I have way more energy and positive vibes in the summer, and in the winter I get depressed and tired. I need to move somewhere sunny!

Old 04-06-2015, 11:16 PM

3,751 posts, read 3,483,581 times
I actually think it's the opposite. People in cold climates have to be on their toes to keep warm, while those in warm climates don't really need to do anything aside from fight enemies and make sure they aren't stung by poisonous insects.

Old 04-07-2015, 04:07 AM

15,703 posts, read 34,718,992 times
It makes you a smarter person.

In general, people who live in cold climates, have to find ways to exercise their minds for many months of the year.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:05 AM

15,675 posts, read 18,232,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty124 View Post
Hi everyone. I know this sounds silly, but I am curious about this and also worried.

Would living in a cold city possibly make you lazier because you have to always be bundled up to go outside, even if it's just a block away. Can anyone who has lived in both cold and warm/mild climates care to elaborate on this? Has your laziness and level of productivity changed? Do you feel like you accomplish more things and have more motivation in warmer weather?

So do you think there's any truth to this? Or do people just use the cold as an excuse to be lazy?
Or could the cold perhaps motivate you to get up and do everything and be more productive than warm/mild weather?
Well, if this were true, then how is it that the richest and most productive places in the world are generally in colder climates?

Old 04-07-2015, 07:30 AM

6,458 posts, read 5,911,464 times
Quite the opposite, I believe. Colder cities, in the U.S., often top healthy cities lists. Having lived in a humid, southern city for a few years, I can say I am lazier down there. The heat is oppressive and it is easier to stay in the comforts of your house.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:03 AM

11,016 posts, read 21,584,696 times
I believe it's the opposite based on the way hot and cold temperatures work on the body (just in general, obviously if you're at 105 degrees or 0 degrees your body will just die). Warmer temps tend to make you more inactive, and "lazy" althought that's a bad word for it.

Maybe it's just the word "lazy". I do more physically in the summer while I'm outside, but I don't feel I'm any more lazy in the winter. I still keep busy and do things most nights of the week, go to work, etc - I just do them in a different setting.

From talking with my friends down south and in Arizona and Texas it sounds the same for them as it is in winter here regarding the amount of time you're active outdoors. They tend to avoid the ourdoors during the summer. So really you could swap out cold/winter and hot/summer and an excuse to be lazy between up north and down south.

My friend moved to Phoenix from Chicago and spent all summer saying how he felt cooped up and kinda trapped indoors the whole time. People just run from building to building and car to car. Same thing people say in Chicago during January and February (I don't really include December which is also cold, since winter is still a novelty and people are much more accepting, plus the holidays keep you busy 24/7)

Old 04-07-2015, 08:43 AM

1,750 posts, read 1,510,100 times
Possibly people avoid the outdoors in the South (in the summer) because there's a lot of obesity in the country. People who sweat a lot (due to personal weight), don't like the heat/humidity, so they stay indoors and are inactive. Those who are fit are out and about summer or winter.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:10 PM

26 posts, read 24,677 times
Hmmmm interesting responses so far.

For those of you who have lived in both cold and warm/mild climates: Do you find it harder to get up and start your day in a colder climate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City