U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Richmond VA vs. New Orleans LA?
Richmond 53 52.48%
New Orleans 39 38.61%
Neither 9 8.91%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 01:04 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,513,697 times

Advertisements

I love New Orleans. Love visiting it and could easily live there. But if I had to choose between these two, I would go with Richmond. Richmond is a pretty cool city. It's much larger and more urban than most people know. The topography is nice. My only problem is that is lacks pro sports. I know most people there are fans of the DC area teams, but you can't really just jump in the car and go to a Caps or Nats game, especially with I-95 being so congested all the time. But still the overall location of Richmond is pretty amazing. You have SO MUCH to do within a few hours drive. Richmond has two of the largest amusement parks on the east coast close by, Virginia Beach, Ocean City, the mountains to the west and of course all the big cities between Charlotte and Philly.

For such a unknown city, Richmond has a really impressive skyline, really nice lush topography with the hills and river and some nice cultural assets, thriving urban neighborhoods and great food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 02:00 PM

27,766 posts, read 24,794,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
@mutiny, yes, that's exactly what I'm saying, that the support for DC teams makes Richmond a bigger sports city than New Orleans. Why is this hard to understand? New Orleans has had its football team for almost 50 years, and for 40 of those years the fan support was mediocre. They've had the basketball team for 13 years, and [u]every single year,[u] they are at or near the bottom in attendance. Richmond hasn't had that problem, because EVERYBODY who knows anything about DC sports know that Central Virginia supports--and support means the dollars an area puts into the franchise--Washington teams just as much as the City itself does. You gain no points by New Orleans having professional franchises that it struggles, and has struggled historically, to support. Part of being a "sports city" means the loyalty of the fan base. The Saints didn't matter to that city at large until Katrina. There is no way you can argue New Orleans being a sports city moreso than Rich, and why this doesn't register to you boggles my mind...
We'll just have to agree to disagree on this point. Packing out bars to view another city's team and traveling to another city to see their teams play doesn't make that city a better sports city than another that actually has major league sports teams that represent that actual city and where residents have the option to see those teams play live right there in that city. Honestly, I think an argument for Richmond's support of its college teams and NASCAR would be a better argument than an argument for its support of another city's teams.

Quote:
Neither city has superior public transportation. New Orleans just never abandoned the streetcar, which is unique because MOST cities that had them did. And obviously NO has a large and important port, so it has the edge in transportation because of that, not because of the streetcar....
The port transports goods, not people so it's not really applicable here; NOLA's ferry would be a different story though. Again, the transportation category in these matchups typically refers to mass transit networks--buses, trains, etc.--and highways. Just looking at each city's respective transit agencies, I see where NOLA's currently operates 32 bus routes and four streetcar routes with an annual ridership of 18.6 million as of 2013 (I think this number excludes ferry passengers); however, the number of routes has been significantly diminished since Katrina. Richmond's has 71 bus routes (12 of them express routes) with an annual ridership of 8.8 million as of 2013. So NOLA has more options and carries more people, but Richmond has more routes.

But overall, this is a good matchup; the two cities seem to be more complimentary than anything and each represents a version of Southern culture apart from what most typically think of.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:00 PM

3,330 posts, read 2,251,159 times
We'll agree to disagree. But I love how you move the goalposts. First, VCU's basketball popularity is "new" in the city, but now you say our support of college athletics is a better argument? I just think we're looking at the same thing through two different lenses. To me, residents being able "to go to" the sports teams in their city is irrelevant when the residents are poor with showing their support--as is the case with the Pelicans, and was the case with the Saints. I don't know how it could (if it can) be measured, but I would bet cash that there are as many, or more, diehard Redskin fans in Rich than there are Saints fans in NO. You're right, the Skins don't play in Richmond, but Richmond's support of the Redskins is more ingrained in the city's culture, than the Saints are in NO, and traditionally Richmond has supported DC teams for a much longer time. Your side of the argument is baseless when the city of New Orleans isn't historically a city that turns out for its sports teams---and again, the NBA team STILL struggles to draw....

It's easy to scoff at supporting another city's team when you don't understand the culture of the city at whole. Look, Richmond and DC are separate and different in many ways. But many people live in one and work in the other---my mother did it for about two years, my father for about a year. Many people live in one and "vacation/road trip" in the other metro, because for Rich, DC is the "City", to DC, Rich is a change of pace when you want to see or do some new things. When you understand that relationship, it's not hard to fathom the how ardent the support of DC teams are in Richmond. And again, the relationship of Richmonders to DC teams is long and reciprocated by those organizations to their Richmond followers, and it's been this way for many years...

To your point on transportation, GRTC is largely confined to the city limits, though not wholly. Even if New Orleans' bus was confined to the city limits (don't know if it is or not), it makes sense it would carry double the passengers annually, as New Orleans city has twice the population of Richmond. So the raw numbers in itself don't reflect a higher ridership per capita...

Old 04-07-2015, 03:28 PM

815 posts, read 664,852 times
To visit: New Orleans
To live: Richmond

New Orleans is a top five city in the US for me (Baltimore, Seattle, Los Angeles and Charleston are the other 4). I love to visit dozens of cities but only these five are hard for me to leave when it is my time to go. New Orleans is stunning and evocative and one of the few truly special cities in the USA. That said; the pervasive poverty, pitiful health outcomes and education attainment along with an unhospitable climate and an eco catastrophe lurking around the corner make life there a challenge.

Richmond is beautiful and more equitable with a better economy and location. Richmond consistently ranks as one of the best cities in which to live and do business and we currently hold the title of the happiest city in the USA (the cities immediately to our north, west and east rank at the top too, so road trips are to other happy metros with well adjusted populations).

Old 04-07-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
We'll agree to disagree. But I love how you move the goalposts. First, VCU's basketball popularity is "new" in the city, but now you say our support of college athletics is a better argument? I just think we're looking at the same thing through two different lenses. To me, residents being able "to go to" the sports teams in their city is irrelevant when the residents are poor with showing their support--as is the case with the Pelicans, and was the case with the Saints. I don't know how it could (if it can) be measured, but I would bet cash that there are as many, or more, diehard Redskin fans in Rich than there are Saints fans in NO. You're right, the Skins don't play in Richmond, but Richmond's support of the Redskins is more ingrained in the city's culture, than the Saints are in NO, and traditionally Richmond has supported DC teams for a much longer time. Your side of the argument is baseless when the city of New Orleans isn't historically a city that turns out for its sports teams---and again, the NBA team STILL struggles to draw....

It's easy to scoff at supporting another city's team when you don't understand the culture of the city at whole. Look, Richmond and DC are separate and different in many ways. But many people live in one and work in the other---my mother did it for about two years, my father for about a year. Many people live in one and "vacation/road trip" in the other metro, because for Rich, DC is the "City", to DC, Rich is a change of pace when you want to see or do some new things. When you understand that relationship, it's not hard to fathom the how ardent the support of DC teams are in Richmond. And again, the relationship of Richmonders to DC teams is long and reciprocated by those organizations to their Richmond followers, and it's been this way for many years...
Yeah, the support of VCU sports (as well as the city's other college athletic programs) would make for a better argument, along with NASCAR, because they are teams that actually belong to Richmond. Furthermore, it could be the case that before VCU men's basketball became quite competitive that attendance for games was already solid; I'm not sure of that, but again, I think support for your actual teams and sports events makes for a better argument. This is especially true because you can make an apples-to-apples comparison with actual statistics. Your lines of evidence in favor of Richmond's support for DC teams are anecdotal at best.

Quote:
To your point on transportation, GRTC is largely confined to the city limits, though not wholly. Even if New Orleans' bus was confined to the city limits (don't know if it is or not), it makes sense it would carry double the passengers annually, as New Orleans city has twice the population of Richmond. So the raw numbers in itself don't reflect a higher ridership per capita...
I only provided the stats; I didn't say NOLA won because of them, but there's definitely an argument to be made in its favor from both a ridership perspective as well as the number of transit options.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:35 PM

As for sports, Richmond doesn't offer much in the way of local spectator sports (though the Kickers and Flying Squirrels are well attended) but it does offer a lot for runners and cyclists. The Richmond Marathon is huge and the Monument Avenue 10K is one of the largest in the country attracting 10's of thousands of runners (40K this year). Richmond is a Nissan Xtera city and hosts its own extreme sporting event, Richmond River Rock in May.

And then there is this http://richmond2015.com/ (the biggest cycling event held in America in decades).

Last edited by spencer114; 04-07-2015 at 03:48 PM..

Old 04-07-2015, 03:44 PM

I only provided the stats; I didn't say NOLA won because of them, but there's definitely an argument to be made in its favor from both a ridership perspective as well as the number of transit options.[/quote]

or it could have something to do with poverty... fewer riders with double the routes in Richmond may mean a better service area with less demand for the service.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
or it could have something to do with poverty... fewer riders with double the routes in Richmond may mean a better service area with less demand for the service.
Possibly, but Katrina threw a monkey wrench in everything so that's a factor to be considered. But NOLA is also expanding its streetcar network with a new line under construction at the moment.

Old 04-07-2015, 08:38 PM

6,212 posts, read 7,041,393 times
Hard choice....I haven't been to NO yet, but I will be going down there with Mi Amor later in June for several days to attend her father's wedding. And I've been to Richmond before since like most of us who grew up in the DC area have family ties down there but I haven't really been down to Richmond since 2000 when I was 8 years old, so I can't really paint an actual picture on what the city looks like nowadays.

Old 04-08-2015, 01:58 AM

998 posts, read 800,187 times
Quote:
@mutiny, yes, that's exactly what I'm saying, that the support for DC teams makes Richmond a bigger sports city than New Orleans. Why is this hard to understand? New Orleans has had its football team for almost 50 years, and for 40 of those years the fan support was mediocre. They've had the basketball team for 13 years, and [u]every single year,[u] they are at or near the bottom in attendance. Richmond hasn't had that problem, because EVERYBODY who knows anything about DC sports know that Central Virginia supports--and support means the dollars an area puts into the franchise--Washington teams just as much as the City itself does. You gain no points by New Orleans having professional franchises that it struggles, and has struggled historically, to support. Part of being a "sports city" means the loyalty of the fan base. The Saints didn't matter to that city at large until Katrina. There is no way you can argue New Orleans being a sports city moreso than Rich, and why this doesn't register to you boggles my mind...

Neither city has superior public transportation. New Orleans just never abandoned the streetcar, which is unique because MOST cities that had them did. And obviously NO has a large and important port, so it has the edge in transportation because of that, not because of the streetcar....
, a
@noncense, clearly you have no idea what you're talking about. Richmond is "completely" separated in relationship to DC? Richmond is the "same" tier as Madison, Wisconsin? Try again, sir...
Agreed on the @noncense comment, way left field from someone who lives fairly close....and what boat is Madison in, a dinghy for Milwaukee?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City