U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Richmond VA vs. New Orleans LA?
Richmond 53 52.48%
New Orleans 39 38.61%
Neither 9 8.91%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-09-2015, 08:35 PM

276 posts, read 238,602 times

Advertisements

I really like this match up because I have always found Richmond interesting. You just never hear much about it because its in the shadow of D.C. New Orleans while carrying a big name still is in the shadow of Houston and Atlanta though it was on top in the south in the past those days are long gone. I would guess New Orleans wins since it is larger more well known and overall is a more fun and lively destination. Yes it has crime but what city doesn't. There are lots of exciting projects going on like the South Market District, a huge new University Medical Center, redevelopment of the World Trade Center, and a lot more that's bringing jobs and people to the city. Also there are plans for a state of the art new airport to be completed by 2018 on the cities 300th anniversary. By then the city will be well on its feet and I think the city will be looking to get back to the days when it was on top.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 10:54 PM

3,311 posts, read 2,238,620 times
@mwah, New Orleans is extremely interesting. The fact that yall have maintained such a unique culture is unquestioned lead on Richmond, which has imported so much Northeastern culture that you have to be from Rich to know what RVA's original culture is. Not a problem with NO...

I did a little digging, and from what I found Richmond has at least 16 historical districts, although I couldn't find anything that explicitly says how many. It seems yet again that is another commonality between the two, because like Nola, almost the entire city of Rich is a history lesson. One major impact on American culture, I will say, is that Richmond influenced the general consensus of being "southern", though the city today hardly fits that mold. The archetypal southern accents, southern traditions and southern food that have long been portrayed in media were modeled after colonial Richmond...

Also like NO, there is a wealth of historical sites and scenes in RVA. And I cannot understate the city's liveliness! From a glance, it would seem that Richmond isn't as busy as larger cities, both because of Richmond's relative small size, and because its sandwiched between two larger metros. However, anyone who has ever spent significant time in Rich knows that it is s real, breathing city. Carytown, The Fan, Shockoe Bottom, Church Hill, Monument Ave, Manchester, etc....these are just a few urban hotspots within the city. Clearly, Rich loses the battle of tourism with Nola, and the dollars that tourism generates. But peel that lid back a little, and Richmond has as many hoppin neighborhoods as any city it's size, maybe even more...

You're right, it is about preference. I'm a bit of a homer as well lol. But Richmond is such an underrated city, it just doesn't have a "main thing" it's known for like Nola and other cities. Still and all, Richmond lines up extremely well with every city its size, and even a few larger cities. New Orleans v. Richmond is a great matchup, and closer than one may think on first thought. I am glad New Orleans is coming back, though. Those people deserve it---that city (and Detroit)---are too important to American history to have been allowed to struggle the way it has. Go New Orleans!

Old 04-09-2015, 11:14 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,116,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
You're right, it is about preference. I'm a bit of a homer as well lol. But Richmond is such an underrated city, it just doesn't have a "main thing" it's known for like Nola and other cities. Still and all, Richmond lines up extremely well with every city its size, and even a few larger cities. New Orleans v. Richmond is a great matchup, and closer than one may think on first thought. I am glad New Orleans is coming back, though. Those people deserve it---that city (and Detroit)---are too important to American history to have been allowed to struggle the way it has. Go New Orleans!
Thank you. And cheers to Richmond!!

Old 04-10-2015, 10:13 AM

815 posts, read 663,059 times
gemme that sazerac!!

Old 04-10-2015, 11:12 AM

9,701 posts, read 6,666,855 times
This is a completely silly comparison.

New Orleans is one of the five or so most iconic cities in the U.S. It's world-renowned. It has a culture and pedigree almost unmatched in the U.S. No city in the South can compare to its urbanity and street-level feel.

Richmond is a minor city where the Mid-Atlantic meets the South. It has no real reputation. It's just another smaller American city.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:20 AM

1,653 posts, read 5,006,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
This is a completely silly comparison.

New Orleans is one of the five or so most iconic cities in the U.S. It's world-renowned. It has a culture and pedigree almost unmatched in the U.S. No city in the South can compare to its urbanity and street-level feel.

Richmond is a minor city where the Mid-Atlantic meets the South. It has no real reputation. It's just another smaller American city.
The poll seems to show a different perspective. Richmond has a pretty commanding lead so far.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post
The poll seems to show a different perspective. Richmond has a pretty commanding lead so far.
You're right, but C-D polls have nothing to do with reality. It's just people blindly voting for where they live, or completely ignorant about the world around them.

If I did a poll asking "Houston or Naples, which is more urban" I guarantee Houston would win, proabably by a longshot, even though Naples is like 1000x more urban than any U.S. city not named NYC.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:47 AM

3,311 posts, read 2,238,620 times
^^^^and where you're also wrong is in your assertion that New Orleans is more urban than Richmond. That's just a blatant lie, not to mention your bold statement of New Orleans being a top 5 most iconic city...NY, Chi, LA, SF, DC, that's the first 5 off the top of my head. Boston, Philly, Dallas, Atlanta, do I really have to continue here?

New Orleans is one of the most unique cities in the country. No one is taking that away. But no matter how hard you want it to be, New Orleans is not a 'major' city, therefore it fits into the class of mid-sized American cities. Like Richmond....

I love how you cd posters knock the polls when they aren't in your favor. New Orleans and Richmond offer different strengths, but really, head-to-head, there isn't a hell of a lot of distance in anyone's favor. Knock it off...

Old 04-10-2015, 11:51 AM

27,710 posts, read 24,737,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
You're right, but C-D polls have nothing to do with reality. It's just people blindly voting for where they live, or completely ignorant about the world around them.

If I did a poll asking "Houston or Naples, which is more urban" I guarantee Houston would win, proabably by a longshot, even though Naples is like 1000x more urban than any U.S. city not named NYC.
Or maybe people realize that Richmond is pretty underrated and is in actuality a well-rounded city that just happens to fly under the radar?

Everyone who doesn't see things your way isn't blind or stupid you know.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
^^^^and where you're also wrong is in your assertion that New Orleans is more urban than Richmond.
When you wrote that crazy homer nonsense, I stopped reading right there. Proof that reading C-D threads can make you dumber by the post.

New Orleans is far more urban than any U.S. city south of DC. There's more urbanity in one block of core NOLA than in all of Virginia. It's among the most iconic cities on the planet, and no city in the South comes close (and sure as hell not relatively unknown Richmond freakin Virginia).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City