U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Richmond VA vs. New Orleans LA?
Richmond 53 52.48%
New Orleans 39 38.61%
Neither 9 8.91%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-10-2015, 11:59 AM

9,701 posts, read 6,669,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Or maybe people realize that Richmond is pretty underrated and is in actuality a well-rounded city that just happens to fly under the radar?
Doesn't matter. Richmond could very well be massively "underrated" and "well rounded". The point is that it's being compared to New Orleans. It better be globally renowed, an iconic destination and more urban/walkable than any city in the U.S. bar NYC, Philly, Boston, SF and maybe one or two others in order to compare to New Orleans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Everyone who doesn't see things your way isn't blind or stupid you know.
True, but anyone who says Richmond is as remotely as urban as New Orleans would be blind/stupid (or more likely biased/ignorant). I have spent lots of time in both cities, am biased towards neither (the NOLA in my screen name does not refer to New Orleans, it refers to LA) and Richmond isn't in the Top 50 of U.S. cities, while New Orleans is probably in the Top 5. It's like comparing Omaha to Boston or something in terms of urbanity, culture and global renown.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 12:00 PM

3,320 posts, read 2,241,294 times
^^^^lol this guy. You got it, man

Old 04-10-2015, 12:07 PM

27,749 posts, read 24,748,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Doesn't matter. Richmond could very well be massively "underrated" and "well rounded". The point is that it's being compared to New Orleans. It better be globally renowed, an iconic destination and more urban/walkable than any city in the U.S. bar NYC, Philly, Boston, SF and maybe one or two others in order to compare to New Orleans.
I love NOLA to death and will be having a blast there for a few days next week, but that's asinine in soooo many ways. Even smaller cities like Charleston and Savannah hold their own against NOLA in more than a few categories.

Quote:
True, but anyone who says Richmond is as remotely as urban as New Orleans would be blind/stupid (or more likely biased/ignorant). I have spent lots of time in both cities, am biased towards neither (the NOLA in my screen name does not refer to New Orleans, it refers to LA) and Richmond isn't in the Top 50 of U.S. cities, while New Orleans is probably in the Top 5. It's like comparing Omaha to Boston or something in terms of urbanity, culture and global renown.
Structurally, NOLA is the more urban of the two although Richmond is denser. I'm not sure what Top 50 or Top 5 list you're referring to and what the basis of such a list is.

Old 04-10-2015, 02:44 PM

1,833 posts, read 1,707,854 times
Lol New Orleans is not in the top 5 cities of the US. How? It's not even a world class city, it's a midsize American city like Richmond.

Old 04-10-2015, 03:01 PM

777 posts, read 1,030,668 times
Being urban and being vibrant are two different things

Old 04-10-2015, 03:14 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,117,158 times
I'm lost, what exactly is "urban"?

As far as being walkable, the only reason New Orleans is out of the top 10 in walkable cities is because NO East (a huge land mass compared to the rest of NO) is about 1/3 federal swamp and they count that in there because it's in the city limits, and NO East generally has a more suburban feel. Most neighborhoods in New Orleans are among the most walkable in the US unless we're counting cities with efficient subway systems like NYC.

Old 04-10-2015, 04:00 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,117,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Lol New Orleans is not in the top 5 cities of the US. How? It's not even a world class city, it's a midsize American city like Richmond.
But it is iconic and it's an absolute *dream* for a lot of people to visit or even live in NOLA.

Old 04-10-2015, 05:16 PM

6,212 posts, read 7,033,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poquoson7 View Post
And lame......
Like your comment....Says someone from Poquoson.

Old 04-10-2015, 05:19 PM

6,212 posts, read 7,033,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
No not at all. Pg county is wack I'll admit, it's an acquired taste definitely.
What's truly wack about MoCo are those blue laws regarding alcohol I'll admit, that is a little nanny-ish. Nightlife in Silver Spring could be better (can be a less pretentious alternative to say Arlington if it was even more vibrant past midnight) but I digress.

Last edited by tcave360; 04-10-2015 at 05:29 PM..

Old 04-10-2015, 10:07 PM

15,695 posts, read 34,693,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
You're right, but C-D polls have nothing to do with reality. It's just people blindly voting for where they live, or completely ignorant about the world around them.

If I did a poll asking "Houston or Naples, which is more urban" I guarantee Houston would win, proabably by a longshot, even though Naples is like 1000x more urban than any U.S. city not named NYC.
Well, I love both cities, New Orleans and Richmond.

BUT, if people were just BLINDLY VOTING and being completely ignorant about things, than New Orleans SHOULD win a major landslide, because it has such name recognition and name appeal.

The fact that Richmond is winning this poll, just says that there are quite a few people voting here who must have some sense of what Richmond has to offer. Also, this matchup is NOT TOURISM-RELATED...it's related to where a person would like to live. Living somewhere and visiting somewhere, has a major impact on how people vote as well. Tourism, no doubt New Orleans is tops. But living, you never know what people might say.

For me, I'm not even voting, as I like both cities quite a bit, and would love to live in either one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City