U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Richmond VA vs. New Orleans LA?
Richmond 53 52.48%
New Orleans 39 38.61%
Neither 9 8.91%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 12:55 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,117,913 times

Advertisements

New Orleans is such an extreme city to live in as anybody who has lived here will tell you (whether it's economy is burning hot, lukewarm, or in the gutter). Crime, poverty, roads, natural disasters, bugs, heat, "freaks", race, too many parades everywhere, very old infrastructure, Louisiana politics, New Orleans politics, etc ... something will always make you emotional or disappointed here just about every day. A lot about this city and this state is stuck in the stone age... and in a sense it keeps this region from being like the rest of the USA. There are plenty of reasons people would wanna just stay the hell away from NOLA. It ain't for everyone.

That said, I think people on here may still relate it to Katrina and what they saw on the news then and couldn't possibly imagine us doing much better now. This city is long past the days where it's teetering on the verge of disrepair. I also think people who haven't visited this city have no business voting ... because it's almost guaranteed to surprise you how much you'd want to move here after a visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 08:17 AM

815 posts, read 664,211 times
Personally I never think about Katrina. I've been to New Orleans before and after. It is such a gorgeous and fun city (not all drunken debauchery, but just generally fun...my face hurts from smiling all the time) and I do think about living there when I am visiting.

And then on the drive to the airport I see the metro outside of the immediate downtown area and remember that I'm in one of the poorest and most dysfunctional states and get excited about my flight back to Virginia.

I love NOLA's story. The resilience and attitude of the locals is inspiring. It is more "cool" than Richmond but RVA is pretty darn cool too and a lot more equitable and stable.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:39 AM

276 posts, read 239,015 times
I think as others have said that people mostly associate New Orleans with crime and think oh because Richmond has less crime its a better place to live. Its subjective really. But New Orleans has a larger economy and is a larger city. There is a lot of revamping going on in New Orleans and its growing. I would say New Orleans is the better place to be right now. Those who have a view of New Orleans shaped by the media of course will vote Richmond. Half of the voters probably haven't even commented here. Just seen the New Orleans listed and thought 'crime' and voted Richmond.

Old 04-12-2015, 12:39 PM

3,629 posts, read 6,118,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Well, I love both cities, New Orleans and Richmond.

BUT, if people were just BLINDLY VOTING and being completely ignorant about things, than New Orleans SHOULD win a major landslide, because it has such name recognition and name appeal.

The fact that Richmond is winning this poll, just says that there are quite a few people voting here who must have some sense of what Richmond has to offer. Also, this matchup is NOT TOURISM-RELATED...it's related to where a person would like to live. Living somewhere and visiting somewhere, has a major impact on how people vote as well. Tourism, no doubt New Orleans is tops. But living, you never know what people might say.

For me, I'm not even voting, as I like both cities quite a bit, and would love to live in either one of them.
Yes this pretty much sums it up. Nola has far more notority and popularity on this site than Richmond. If you were to search this site for both cities Nola would have far more sub forums. I think the votes on this poll are honest and true.

Old 04-12-2015, 02:41 PM

815 posts, read 664,211 times
Let's not pretend that Richmond has a good reputation and let's not pretend that the negative stories about N.O. are completely fabricated.

Any objective review of economic, health, education, crime and environment data will show that the Richmond area beats New Orleans by a long shot.

Old 04-12-2015, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
Let's not pretend that Richmond has a good reputation and let's not pretend that the negative stories about N.O. are completely fabricated.

Any objective review of economic, health, education, crime and environment data will show that the Richmond area beats New Orleans by a long shot.
Arguing Richmond has a better economy than New Orleans would be tough. Poverty and income disparity, while very high, do not represent nearly enough of a picture. There is a massive movement of jobs and start up businesses forming in New Orleans.

I can point to a lot of things that would shock you as far as economic data is concerned. For example, the city has been among the top 10 cities to start a business in for the past 3 years or so. Homelessness is now down to below pre-Katrina levels and we were the first city to announce an end to homeless veterans at the beginning of the year. A 2 billion dollar medical corridor is going in, and entrepreneurship has grown at a mind blowing pace. Exports in the city are setting records. We're grooming a business festival to be our next major event (Mardi Gras and Jazz Fest proportions) and it's working. 10,000 people attended the NOEW event (a local festival with local businesses selling their products to anybody that comes). Google attended and Forbes wrote an article claiming the entire world is watching this event.

Add in the fact that we're the 1st and 2nd most filmed state and city respectively in the USA, and the huge push of an IT / game designer market here, it makes for a very exciting time to be in NOLA right now from an economical prospective.

Old 04-12-2015, 03:18 PM

3,322 posts, read 2,246,018 times
Beat me to the punch...

Its already been determined that New Orleans has a bigger reputation, in a number of areas. But some of the spin-doctoring going on doesnt make any sense, because Richmond doesnt have a squeaky clean reputation. It was, in the mid-90s, considered a murder capital, and still has a violent crime rate above the national average although its gotten better. Maybe those of you from the Gulf Coast didnt know that, but anyone from the Mid-Atlantic and Upper South states know this. So no one is in here picking Richmond over NO because of "crime". That is an uneducated assumption because there are PLENTY of news articles documenting crime in Rich...

Also, why is it so hard for some of you to accept that Richmond and New Orleans may actually be in the same tier of cities? The major advantage that Nola has on Rich is tourism and entertainment, which lead to the higher gdp. No pro-Richmond voter in here has even asserted otherwise. besides those two areas, this is a dogfight. Miss me with the "people are choosing RVA because..." crap. Richmond consistently gets downplayed because of its crime history, its mixed Northern/Southern identity, because its "small", its Confederate capital history and monuments, its lack of a professional sports franchise, its lack of a leading national educational institution, and i can go on and on. Like the poster before me said, some of Richmond's reputation is deserved, some of it isnt, and this isnt any different for NO. As great of a city as New Orleans is in some respects, there are more than a few areas where that city comes up short in terms of being a full, well-rounded community. that some people side with Rich in this battle speaks, in part, to the fact that while Richmond isnt on the "national radar" as much, very few people come to this city and are disappointed...

There is a lot of revamping going on in New Orleans. What do you think is happening in Richmond? Search the web for a few minutes, and youll find many articles detailing the transformation of the city within just the last 15 years. Ask anyone who was here in the 80s/90s. I grew up around Rich, and the way the city is today as compared to my memories as a child, is mind-blowing. New Orleans city is growing at twice the rate of Richmond, but the metro is only growing slightly faster than Greater Richmond. I can tell you just as much "revamping" and new projects happening in Rich. Katrina was a tragedy. New Orleans' growth is in large part due to the fact that the metro lost so many people after the storm, so this is more a return to what it was than if it is truly growing. And thatKatrina shined so much of a spotlight on the city, of course you would hear about it more than Rich...

For the record, I havent been to New Orleans, but neither have I uttered a negative word about it here. just like many pro-New Orleans people have never visited Richmond. I dont have togo somewhere to know i wouldnt want to live there, and the beauty of the internet is that for matchups like this, where all information for comparisons is just an inquiry away. Some of you really need to quit with the spin doctor crap. This thread/poll is as accurate as any on here can get, and global think tanks such as gaWc (which has Richmond rated far higher than New Orleans) also attest to the fact that these two are essentially in the same class of cities. Different strengths, different weaknesses; everyone isnt going to like both of them. But they are definitely only an arm's length away from each other, no matter which you consider the better city, neither one is blowing the other one out in the full scope of city to city comparison...

Old 04-12-2015, 03:39 PM

I'm not gonna quote you, but to say you wouldn't live somewhere without seeing it is just sad. I would never put Richmond out of my thoughts of places to move based on assumption. NOLA has been known to shock people when they visit.

To act like the growth of New Orleans is some sort of post-Katrina thing is completely naive, especially for somebody who admittedly has never been here. Sales tax is higher than pre-Katrina levels (despite less people and less people visiting the city still), crime is lower, homelessness is lower, skyscrapers abandoned before Katrina are being renovated, exports are setting records for the city, streets are getting fixed that have been neglected for decades, canals under streets are getting built for better flood systems that have been ignored for decades, public transportation and bike lanes are going in everywhere, a giant green strip is going in the middle of the city connecting 2 important areas, Tulane is being shown as a top college in the nation... quite honestly to read that is frustrating and it tells me more about perspective than reality of these polls.

Also, the "no comparison" attitude comes from the fact that we have world renowned name recognition, and the fact that people actually do have a true passion to live here. Very few cities in the US give that passion or have that name recognition and population doesn't make that happen. Can you get as good of food in Richmond? Do you have communities that set up neighborhood festivals with shopping focuses (this is how we do business here)? A deeply enjoyable culture? It's not all entertainment.

Old 04-12-2015, 03:56 PM

276 posts, read 239,015 times
I can't count the many times on city-data that I see New Orleans get written off as a "cesspool" full of crime. I'm not denying that New Orleans has crime issues and I'm not saying that Richmond doesn't have negative press. But I will say New Orleans has a way more negative image and that is likely that image has been broadcast to the entire nation rather than just a regional thing like Richmond deals with. As you here have said New Orleans has a high profile so its more likely that people will have a preconceived notion of what New Orleans is before they do any research on the city and vote for Richmond. That is fact. I've said nothing ill of Richmond here either and as I stated it seems like a nice place. But right now I say New Orleans is better based on culture, vibrancy, economy, and all around fun.

10 years from now people will still claim New Orleans growing due to people coming back from Katrina...smh

Old 04-12-2015, 04:10 PM

3,322 posts, read 2,246,018 times
@mwah, what do you mean? Have you ever been to Iraq? Rwanda? do you have to visit these places to know that you dont want to live there? To that time, when is the last time you visited Richmond, and how many times total have you been to Richmond? Perception is human nature, although it isnt everything. That comment didnt make much sense....anyway, instead of listing each project and renovation, we'll just do a Forbes comparison. Everyone considers Forbes reputable, right?

According to Forbes.com:

GMP: Richmond $73.9 billion, New Orleans $70.4 billion
MEDIN INCOME: Richmond $53k, New Orleans $46k
Median home price: Richmond $229k, New Orleans $164k
unemployment: New Orleans 4.8%, Richmond 5.5%
job growth: New Orleans 2%, Richmond 1.4%
college attainment: Richmond 32.6%, New Orleans 26.7%
net migration: New Orleans 720, Richmond 1770
best place for business/careers: Richmond 51, New Orleans 65
cost of doing business: New Orleans 53, Richmond 81
education: Richmond 57, New Orleans 126
projected annual job growth: Richmond 1.9%, New Orleans 1.6%
household income growth: Richmond 0%, New Orleans -1%
high tech employment: Richmond 3.4%, New Orleans 2.1%
housing affordability: Richmond 163, New Orleans 188
home price change: Richmond +8.9%, New Orleans +5.4%
graduate degrees: Richmond 12.2, New Orleans 9.5
cost of living: New Orleans 2.8% above national avg, Richmond 3.3%

These are 2013 numbers. I really didnt want to do this, but all this crying from the pro-NO people has made me sick. No one who is pro-Richmond has done all this complaining; people like what they like and we're fine with that! But dont act like New Orleans is some superior metropolis, because clearly, it isn't. Some of these numbers are slim margins that we can agree makes the cities virtually equal. But Richmond leads the vast majority of these categories, and thats saying something, unless one of you geniuses are able to debunk Forbes' methodology....

Bottom line, I'll say it agin: aside from tourism and entertainment, it would appear Richmond is actually the stronger city---and to highlight that even more, all the tourism and "filmmaking" going on in New Orleans, it still has a smaller gmp. what does that mean? Does it meand anything?

As I've said from page 1, these two cities are pretty evenly matched. Even if Richmond is a stronger city pound for pound, it is a slight victory, it is not far and away a greater city than Nola. For anyone who disagrees with the fact they are fairly evenly matched, it'll help when you see with the blinders off...

@mwah, oh yeah, even Forbes profile of New Orleans says its growth is "partially a rebound effect from the massive population loss after Katrina." That is a quote. Obviously, that is not the only reason for growth in your city, but dont act as if it is not a factor...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City