U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Richmond VA vs. New Orleans LA?
Richmond 53 52.48%
New Orleans 39 38.61%
Neither 9 8.91%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 04-12-2015, 05:21 PM
 
Location: New Orleans, LA
1,291 posts, read 1,124,273 times
Reputation: 710

Advertisements

World Focuses on NOEW (a few weeks ago):
The World Focuses On New Orleans Entrepreneur Week - Forbes

Various lists given to NOLA and Louisiana last year:
Awards & Rankings | Greater New Orleans, Inc. | Regional Economic Development

Global Accounting Firm Ranks New Orleans as Most Cost Effective Place to do Business among mid-sized cities (cited a few days ago):
Global accounting firm ranks New Orleans the most economical mid-sized city for businesses in the United States | NOLA.com

Million-Dollar Mansion Club Booming in New Orleans (a few days ago):
Million-dollar mansion club booming in New Orleans - Post and Courier

Louisiana is Increasing Export Sales More than all but One State (days ago):
Louisiana is increasing export sales more than all but one state, according to new report | NOLA.com

Cargo Shipments hit 14 Year High at Port of New Orleans (last month):
Port of New Orleans cargo shipments hit 14-year high in 2014 | NOLA.com

New Orleans WTC Four Seasons Developer Approved with Increased Rent Offer (last month)
New Orleans World Trade Center: Four Seasons developer approved with increased rent offer, moves to City Council | NOLA.com

I could go on and on ...
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-12-2015, 05:31 PM
 
Location: California x North Carolina (soon)...
3,376 posts, read 2,285,857 times
Reputation: 3709
Also, while I freely admitted I've never visited Nola, it is easy to see which ones of you are unfamiliar with Richmond (and unfamiliarity isnt a bad thing, thats the point of this website lol!) . Seriously, do you really think people arent as passionate to live in Richmond as they are in New Orleans? We love this city, to a fault---every fault---and just because you all dont know that, does not mean it isnt so. In fact, any Virginian will probably tell you Richmonders are the proudest region in the State. We are the original Capital of the South, and southern culture, especially upper-crust social culture, was patterned after Richmond society. The ONLY reason Richmond doesnt have the name recognition is because it is too close to DC; Richmond and Baltimore would be far larger and more important cities if DC wasnt created. Why dont some of you understand this? The name recognition is an advantage, but it isnt the best trait to claim triumph over Rich. Again I'll say, if Nola was inland, and within 100 miles of Houston, it WOULD ALSO be overshadowed and not as recognizable...

Richmond is becoming the East Coast capital of brewing and beer. Richmond has PLENTY of neighborhood festivals, the biggest cycling event in the country, and luxury shopping. Sure, the culture is diluted, but thats what happens when you can get to Dc in an hour and a half, Philly in four and a half, New York in 6 hours. But Richmond is renowned, at least nationally, for its diversity in eateries. The only place NO has Rich beat on food is with homegrown dishes. Richmond has venues galore, relative to a city its size, featuring both international and homegrown restaurants. Again some of you tell on yourselves, because anyone who visits Richmond doesnt have to question that...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2015, 05:39 PM
 
Location: New Orleans, LA
1,291 posts, read 1,124,273 times
Reputation: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Seriously, do you really think people arent as passionate to live in Richmond as they are in New Orleans?
Yes, absolutely. If you lived here and see how the people operate, you'd understand. I bet you think the state pays for Mardi Gras? Nope! Working people go to stores and buy beads and cups to throw to people who come here to watch us do our thing. The festivals aren't government sanctioned here, they're very much people based and culturally ingrained. Far, far more than anywhere else I've seen including San Antonio, New York City, Boston, Philly, DC, you name it.

If you're really interested into why New Orleans is a truly unique city culturally speaking, read a few books on why are traditions are still here. They aren't government based, they're very, very much people based. Way more than I've seen anywhere else and it's not even close.

It's very, very difficult to grasp a culture you've never seen. Most people expect some tourist trap when they get here and then drive around outside of town to realize - we really do eat crawfish and king cake and celebrate things for a reason from a local perspective.

And to even put Richmond in a list with New Orleans as far as food is laughable. People come here from all over the world specifically to eat. The culinary dishes we produce are derived from long gone Indian recipes, mixed with other cuisine. We're always ranked #1 or 2 in fine dining in the country. That's ridiculous to compare them.

Read a book about New Orleans, or Louisiana. You'd be very, very encouraged to check it out if you finish it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2015, 05:40 PM
 
Location: California x North Carolina (soon)...
3,376 posts, read 2,285,857 times
Reputation: 3709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
World Focuses on NOEW (a few weeks ago):
The World Focuses On New Orleans Entrepreneur Week - Forbes

Various lists given to NOLA and Louisiana last year:
Awards & Rankings | Greater New Orleans, Inc. | Regional Economic Development

Global Accounting Firm Ranks New Orleans as Most Cost Effective Place to do Business among mid-sized cities (cited a few days ago):
Global accounting firm ranks New Orleans the most economical mid-sized city for businesses in the United States | NOLA.com

Million-Dollar Mansion Club Booming in New Orleans (a few days ago):
Million-dollar mansion club booming in New Orleans - Post and Courier

Louisiana is Increasing Export Sales More than all but One State (days ago):
Louisiana is increasing export sales more than all but one state, according to new report | NOLA.com

Cargo Shipments hit 14 Year High at Port of New Orleans (last month):
Port of New Orleans cargo shipments hit 14-year high in 2014 | NOLA.com

New Orleans WTC Four Seasons Developer Approved with Increased Rent Offer (last month)
New Orleans World Trade Center: Four Seasons developer approved with increased rent offer, moves to City Council | NOLA.com

I could go on and on ...
Lol I've enjoyed this debate with you @mwah. We can go back and forth forever. You prefer your hometown, I prefer mine, and its cool that we've been able to disagree with civility. The fact of the matter is that these are both two of the more historic cities in the nation, that have gone through turbulent times in the last 50 years, that are both rebounding with a fury. Both are recognized for their revitilization by plenty of reputable sources; New Orleans' decline was a bit more dramatic and tragic so its rebound is going to be more profiled. But no matter which way you slce the pie, New Orleans isnt a superior city to Richmond, and vice versa, and if one of them is, it is the thinnest of margins...

I just got tired of all the crying lol. By the way, you still didnt answer when you were last up here lol...

Also, take your own advice with the "culture you've never seen". Apparently, while YOU dont realize all that Richmond offers, many, many people and national publications do. If you're really interested into whether Richmond has its own unique culture, do a little research on your computer right now, or better yet, just come visit, and I'll be your personal tour guide...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2015, 06:00 PM
 
Location: New Orleans, LA
1,291 posts, read 1,124,273 times
Reputation: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I just got tired of all the crying lol. By the way, you still didnt answer when you were last up here lol...

Also, take your own advice with the "culture you've never seen". Apparently, while YOU dont realize all that Richmond offers, many, many people and national publications do. If you're really interested into whether Richmond has its own unique culture, do a little research on your computer right now, or better yet, just come visit, and I'll be your personal tour guide...
I've never been to Richmond, but the last time I was in the area was 2012. Virginia has beautiful places to visit. Yorktown amazed me, and it was nice to see a forest that wasn't so overran with swamps or shrubs.

I'm very interested in it, trust me. Seeing the capital of the Confederacy is totally on my top things to do, and it should be on any amateur historians list
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2015, 07:31 PM
 
Location: Baltimore
683 posts, read 686,218 times
Reputation: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
The ONLY reason Richmond doesnt have the name recognition is because it is too close to DC; Richmond and Baltimore would be far larger and more important cities if DC wasnt created. Why dont some of you understand this?
I understand where you are coming from... But its probably because Baltimore has always been larger than DC in a lot of ways in the past. In population up until 2013 and in land area. This was the first and only time in history DC's population surpassed Baltimore's. Thing is cities go up and down but blaming it on DC wouldn't be a good justification at least for Baltimore. DC is just recovering quicker from the same problems Baltimore has/had. Only difference is one has the help of the federal gov't but when that climax is reached the hype will die down. Yes both are underrated like a lot of cities but I think that's because people and even residents ourselves don't know much about where we live and on the outside tend to think that everything revolves around DC over here but that's not true. Sometimes we are our worse enemies, don't sell your city short. I'm sure there are plenty of things Richmond can offer without DC being brought into the conversation. It just helps to stay on topic and not point fingers. So keep it going there are some really interesting posts going.

Last edited by Northernest Southernest C; 04-12-2015 at 08:03 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2015, 07:34 PM
 
815 posts, read 670,392 times
Reputation: 1011
When you finally visit Richmond you will be proud, not insulted, that it compares to New Orleans.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2015, 08:18 PM
 
Location: New Orleans, LA
1,291 posts, read 1,124,273 times
Reputation: 710
To be blunt, how could it differ from Baltimore? I've been to East Virginia (and seen a fair amount of the Shenaandoah's as well). East Virginia felt just like a bedroom community / tourist destination of Baltimore / DC.

I'm not taking anything away, but sell me, how is it different than Baltimore?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2015, 08:47 PM
 
Location: California x North Carolina (soon)...
3,376 posts, read 2,285,857 times
Reputation: 3709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwahfromtheheart View Post
To be blunt, how could it differ from Baltimore? I've been to East Virginia (and seen a fair amount of the Shenaandoah's as well). East Virginia felt just like a bedroom community / tourist destination of Baltimore / DC.

I'm not taking anything away, but sell me, how is it different than Baltimore?
Ah, the subject of many a debate...

I've debated people in real life and online as far as comparing Richmond and Baltimore; being that I grew up on the other side of DC, I've met plenty of Baltimoreans throughout my life. A lot have disagreed with me, though much of that is typical big city snobbery, because some people have agreed with me....

There are clearly some obvious differences between Richmond and Baltimore, but they are alike in some ways. To answer your question, you will obviously know that you are in a smaller city in Richmond. Being that youre from NO and Baltimore is bigger than NO as well, the slower pace may suit you better, though I dont know your preferences. With Richmond, you'll have much more natural beauty, and the architecture is 1000 times better than Baltimore. All Baltimore is, is rowhomes: ugly ones, pretty ones, wide ones slim ones--and there are plenty of ugly ones. But there is really no diversity of architecture there....

Baltimore also gives you the feeling that it hasnt caught up to the 21st century. There are some terrible roads up there, and they just refuse to revitalize to the same extent that Richmond has. People in Richmond are generally a bit calmer and not as loud; however, you are coming from the Deep South, so the differences in persona may not be noticeable to someone not from the East Coast.

All that notwithstanding, this isnt to say that Rich is on the same level as Baltimore in terms of an overall picture, because clearly Baltimore plays in another field. But Baltimore is not wholly progressive, and compared to other cities in its class (Charlotte, Portland, etc) it is falling further behind every year. Baltimore is a large city that doesnt feel as large, because it just doesnt have the same energy as cities its size, and is really not comparable to DC in most areas. One poster pointed out that Baltimore was larger than DC until '13---yeah, in city population. But Metro Washington has, for all intents and purposes, been larger in population and cast a larger cultural and economic shadow than Baltimore for at least the 80s...

In Richmond, you'll absolutely get the impression of a city on the rise, and a city that "feels" larger than its listed population numbers. This feeling is a direct contrast to Baltimore. Baltimore is a historic city as well and a good visit, but once you leave the Harbor area/Johns Hopkins area, that city is a washout. There arent too many good areas. Trust me, besides just wanting to see a bigger city with more entertainment options, you'd rather come to Richmond...

End of the day, there are some inherent similarities between Baltimore-DC-Rich, that may appear to a visitor to make any combination of the three indistinguishable from each other in any way other than size and influence...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2015, 09:02 PM
 
Location: New Orleans, LA
1,291 posts, read 1,124,273 times
Reputation: 710
Hey, I respect those differences. Thing is, you don't have to squint too hard to see the difference between New Orleans and anywhere else. The people are just ... different. I've been to liberal and conservative cities from San Antonio to Boston and my roommate has lived all along the West Coast including San Francisco, LA, Seattle, and her parents live in Oregon, and we both agree, the people just make the city what it is. You have to live here to see, what you see on TV about us is not gimmicks. The Fleur De Lis, the food, the language, the festivals, everything - we live it, and it has a reason, and it's all over the news and the scene. We party, the world just tags along. I'm serious about that.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top