U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you relocate to?
Portland, OR 74 39.78%
Portland, ME 36 19.35%
Albuquerque, NM 28 15.05%
Miami, FL 52 27.96%
Sacramento, CA 33 17.74%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 03:00 PM

232 posts, read 323,136 times

Advertisements

I'm not surprised Portland, OR came out on top in the poll. Although I'm a little surprised that Miami came out second.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbound and Down View Post
I saw your post in the ABQ forum.

I live in ABQ now, moved here last summer. I also considered Sacramento. I have spent enough time in Portland ME to have an opinion on it.

Caveat: I am retired, my kids are grown, so I have none of the school issues to be concerned with.

I really like ABQ. Of all the cities on your list, the weather here is the clear winner. The cost of living, too - your money will go farther in housing than in any of the other cities on your list.

As for a "liberal" place, be careful what you wish for. What you really want is a place where nobody cares what you do, or who you are. "Liberal" enclaves like Boulder CO and Charlottesville VA, 2 places I know quite well, are full of people who want to dictate everything you can do with your property, etc, for the "good" of the community, when in reality they are just world's biggest NIMBY's. I have a friend who works once a month at a homeless kitchen in Boulder, and it drives her nuts that the patrons ask if the food is "gluten free" or sustainably sourced...

Maine, in general, is a wonderful state, my favorite in the northeast. When my children were younger, I entertained a job offer in Portland. The winters there are miserable, and that killed the deal for us.

I really liked Sacramento, too, but the cost of housing is much higher there than ABQ - maybe 50 percent higher on an apples to apples comparison. But if I had to pick a second city on your list, I would go with Sacramento, but mainly for its convenience to SF and so many other great places within a half day. Again, I am retired, and would have loved to have that city as a home base, but ABQ wins on weather and housing costs, and if I want to visit the west coast, I hop on a plane...

Good luck.
We're coming to visit ABQ in 2 weeks to check it out. The areas we're looking at are the North East Side and Rio Rancho. Schools are a big consideration for us and those areas seem to have the best ones. What's your experience of those areas?

Old 04-27-2015, 09:10 PM

35 posts, read 48,420 times
I am not surprised by the poll... Portland is getting bigger and better.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:47 AM

4,836 posts, read 10,155,612 times
Not Miami. It also has crazy home prices and not so great schools.

If you are interested in Florida though I would give Tampa, Orlando and Ft. Myers a look.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:24 AM

We wouldn't be living in the city of Miami but in the metro area. The home prices are nothing there compared with the good areas of SoCal.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:30 AM

2,367 posts, read 3,412,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westbound and Down View Post
Charleston, SC
Tucson
Boise
Nashville

All good cities in very conservative states...so not what the OP wants...they turned down Austin, TX and Atlanta for the same reasons.

Besides the weather, Portland, OR is exactly what the OP wants...Liberal Utopia basically...good schools, outdoorsy....no worry about religion anywhere

Alb, NM...not sure I'd consider NM socially liberal...Miami is certainly not in a liberal state either..

I'd rank them Portland, OR 1 and Sacramento, CA 2 and not look at any others here.
Boulder/Denver, CO would be a good choice as well. You may also want to look into Madison, WI (if you can handle the winters). Great schools and a lot to do. Twin Cities (Minneapolis-St Paul) would also meet the requirements.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:59 PM

I would say Florida is less conservative than Texas/Georgia but I don't really want to make this a political debate. I'd characterize it as a socially liberal utopia :-)

The biggest thing for us is that we aren't religious and we don't want that to ever come up or have anyone feel the need they need to comment on it, use it against us, raise it with out children, etc, etc.

Old 05-23-2015, 09:34 AM

So our first trip is done. We visited Albuquerque last week. The natural surroundings are beautiful to me. The Sandias provide an incredible backdrop and the weather is nice. However we had to rule it out. One factor was how isolated it is but we knew that before we went. I would say that there is just a sense of blandness about the place. The landscaping is dull and unimaginative. The buildings are non-descript and squat. And for some reason we couldn't understand there are parcels of land everywhere that look like abandoned scrub land. Right beside nice homes. The weather was great and you can get some serious amount of house for your money but we're now down to 4.

Old 05-23-2015, 09:36 AM

Also downtown was laughable.

Old 05-23-2015, 01:42 PM

412 posts, read 402,143 times
I would decide between Portland OR and Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or