U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one sounds better for me?
Chicago 13 35.14%
Austin 5 13.51%
Atlanta 19 51.35%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 08:42 AM

6 posts, read 20,210 times

Advertisements

I am currently a young African-American male living in Texas that has just recently graduated! Iím honestly torn about where I would like to live for the next few years of my life. As a military brat, I have spent my entire life traveling around the world. Iím not used to really settling down, and I still have some sense of adventure.

AUSTIN
Austin Itís definitely a city that has been growing on me the more I visit it. Itís probably the first city that I have ever felt safe in. I love the beauty of this place, such as the parks and hills. Despite the traffic, itís also been pretty easy to navigate around. I love that itís very liberal compared to other places in Texas. Of course, I am fully aware that the other cities in this state are just as liberal.

The only problem is that I have no family living within the immediate area. I have friends here that can help me. However, I feel like trying to transition to this place would be too stressful. There is far more too much pressure to simply look for a place to live, and work. I struggle with the idea of leaving it. Iíve lived in this area for so long now that I have almost become too comfortable.

ATLANTA
Atlanta Thus far this is the only choice that really interests me the most. I have always heard so many positive things about it, and I loved visiting the place. Being a minority, I think my life would not be so bad here. I feel that everything that I enjoyed in Austin can be found here. In fact, it even seems like it offers much more. To be honest, I canít necessarily think of any huge downsides.

I also have family within this area, but I donít know how long they plan on remaining here once I move. However, I have heard that the crime within this city is nearly identical to what can be found in Chicago.

CHICAGO
Chicago I have always wanted to live in a big city. It seems that out of all these options Chicago would give me the most things to do. It was somewhere that I have always wanted to live growing up, and now this is the first time that I can do it. Itís another choice that allows me to be closer to my family.

The problem is that I am completely aware of some of things that go on within the city. I feel that the media might be overhyping it. However, the overwhelming crime and racial segregation is very off-putting. This could probably be solved by simply researching which neighborhoods to go to, but I still feel concerned. There seems to be more people moving out rather than moving in. The fact that I met more Chicago transplants in the past few yearsí kind of puts up some red flags. Another huge thing is that I am completely aware of how harsh the winters can get. As a previous Illinois native I grew up dealing with harsh winters. Now, I shudder to think how I would be able to survive one after dealing with southern weather for so long.

I have already visited each of these cities. I absolutely loved all of them, but I havenít lived in them long enough to truly understand. I know that there are other cities in the nation that I could go to. Washington, DC and certain cities in the West coast have interested me the most. However, those cities are mad expensive, and I would like to remain realistic about my choices.

Houston was previously a big choice of mine. Itís far more racially integrated, and I feel that it also offers many things that I enjoy. It gets so much undeserved hate here, and I have no idea why. Sadly, the transition to move would be more stressful than living in Austin. I also felt far more comfortable being in Austin compared to Houston.

Someone help me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 09:35 AM

589 posts, read 583,206 times
I think it would be good to experience a city like Chicago. estimations suggest that Chicago is adding more people than are moving out, not a lot more people, but enough to keep the city flourishing (http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...-growing-again). Yes segregation is a problem here but it is a problem in every major city. (The Racial Dot Map: One Dot Per Person for the Entire U.S.)

here is some crime statistics, the bluer the area the safer
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

It seems like you are leaning toward Atlanta right now, which is not a bad place either. but it is ranked more dangerous than chicago

Last edited by Yac; 04-14-2015 at 07:38 AM..

Old 04-07-2015, 02:20 PM

5,602 posts, read 3,464,733 times
People flee Chicago to get away from the high taxes, corruption, crime, etc. If you could erase those 3 things, Im confident Chicago's population would skyrocket. I mean, even in the face of those negatives, Chicago still attracts so many people from all over the world/states. Its a great city, just take the time to find the correct neighborhood, do a lot of research! I would choose it over Austin and Atlanta simply because its bigger, and IMO, a true world class city. Atlanta is working on becoming a world class Alpha city, but its not on the same level as Chicago. It just isnt. Others will say its close, but I still think Chicago is a much more "elevated" city, for lack of better term. Austin reminded me of a giant suburb thats growing too fast for its own good.

Go with Chicago.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:35 PM

7,794 posts, read 11,724,981 times
What industry do you work in? That would probably be the biggest deciding factor between Chicago or Atlanta for a young upwardly mobile person of color. Chicago own it's own to offer than Atlanata (obvs), but Atlanta is no slouch and intown Atlanta is a Millennial playground with something to always keep you occupied.

I've never heard bad things about Austin per se, but it does seem a bit isolated to me and you're not going to find the same level of opportunities you would in Chicago or Atlanta. Obviously, it cannot to compare to big cities like Chicago or Atlanta in amenities space either.

As far as crime stats go, don't pay attention to them for any city. It's a pretty easy thing to avoid for the most part, but also a part of life in a big city. I've always found that if you keep to yourself and try not to be flashy, you're golden.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:25 AM

60 posts, read 63,613 times
Since you seem to be searching for more opportunities in the long run, you're going to want the biggest and Chicago fits that bill. Just find the right neighborhood to live in because it's a very gappy place if you're not careful enough.

Old 04-08-2015, 10:32 PM

9,086 posts, read 12,856,148 times
Atlanta for a young person starting out is a great place to get comfortable fast.The weather is good and you dont have to worry about snow and freezing temperatures.

Although Chicago in the summer cant be beat but your budget will take a bigger hit if you want to be in the city,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or