U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Seattle vs Denver vs Pittsburgh?
Seattle 17 29.82%
Denver 19 33.33%
Pittsburgh 21 36.84%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-07-2015, 08:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,887 times

Advertisements

I will be graduating later this year as an RN (I'm in my early 20's) and I'm looking to get out of New Mexico to try something new! I've narrowed down my choices to Seattle, Denver, or Pittsburgh

Seattle: I've never been but I would love to live in such a green city with water and mountains nearby. I'm also an avid runner and love the outdoors so I think Seattle (where I could run outside year round without dealing with snow or humidity) would be a good fit. I'm a little nervous about the rainy/overcast weather but I think I could live with it.

Denver: I've visited a few times and I liked it. It would be nice to be so close to my family and it wouldn't be as much of a transition from what I'm used to in Albuquerque.

Pittsburgh: I've also visited a few times and loved it. I have a lot of family that lives nearby and I'm a big Steelers fan. Pittsburgh also seems to be more affordable than Seattle or Denver, and although I'm not too worried about being able to get a job in any of these cities, I will be fresh out of college.

I would appreciate any input on which city you think I should choose and thanks for reading this long post!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 11:36 PM

2,945 posts, read 3,595,946 times
Seattle's medical job market would definitely be the largest of the three. If you can afford to manage 1,200-1,400 a month for rent, then you should go for it!

Old 04-08-2015, 08:54 AM

15,694 posts, read 34,684,028 times
All three would be good choices.

Personally I like Pittsburgh because not only is it an interesting city, but its also much easier to be a home-owner there, with a very low cost to housing....(compared to the other two).

Old 04-09-2015, 03:57 AM

3,751 posts, read 3,478,213 times
I would say Pittsburgh, more affordable and everyone and their mother is moving to Seattle and Denver, those cities are well beyond capacity and are VERY crowded and expensive.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:10 AM

1,333 posts, read 1,154,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cctina8 View Post
I will be graduating later this year as an RN
Pittsburgh is a good area for people in the medical field and it's best from a COL standpoint. If you want bars as far as nightlife goes, go there. If you want nightclubs too then Denver would be a better pick.

Denver, at least on here, seems to be on the same level as Pittsburgh and I'd go with that if you want the more wide open outdoorsy thing.

Seattle is a step above the other two, but you're certainly going to pay extra for that. People there are known for being less friendly though.

Can't really go wrong with any of them though and you're still young enough that moving wouldn't be too much of an issue if it didn't work out.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:22 PM

60 posts, read 63,640 times
From a personal standpoint I would pick Seattle because it's where I was born and raised and leaving there was a mistake, but I think if you want a challenge, more specifically, "something new," go with Pittsburgh to get a chance of what life is like in the Eastern United States and since you seem to slightly prefer less financial obligations, you'll be better off putting less pressure on yourself.

Personally call BS on the Seattle unfriendliness btw, although if you don't fit in there (which to me in Seattle is simply not trying to fit in, as tons of transplants in general complain about this), chances are you'll get exposed to the "Seattle Freeze," something I sorta have myself, lol.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:31 PM

403 posts, read 399,385 times
I would choose Denver or Seattle over Pittsburgh. Since you're young, you probably want to live in a more exciting city. Pittsburgh is a nice city, but it's smaller and not as exciting as the other two and there's not as much to do there. I would personally choose Denver over Seattle because I prefer the weather there and it's also less expensive. It depends on what you really want in a city.

Old 04-09-2015, 01:20 PM

559 posts, read 510,846 times
In terms of excitement for a person in their 20's, I don't think Denver or Pittsburgh are even close to Seattle.
However, the COL is definitely something to consider.

Old 04-09-2015, 01:26 PM

104 posts, read 91,194 times
I would choose Seattle:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7331/...22c56dae_b.jpg

Old 04-09-2015, 02:39 PM

1,643 posts, read 1,670,732 times
I wouldn't choose based on a skyline picture, I would actually go and visit these places before making a decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or