Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you choose if you're 26, single and like the outdoors?
Phoenix 42 46.15%
Dallas 49 53.85%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 06:06 PM

352 posts, read 570,010 times

Advertisements

Great pros/cons list. I've lived in DFW now for approximately 5 years, and have explored this area and state extensively. In fact, I've visited many places or experienced stuff in Texas that locals haven't even heard of. I lived in AZ for 4.5 years and now I'm ready to go back to AZ, if my career allows me to do so. Both cities have great airports however, I do enjoy a nice road trip. With that being said, here's my observation:

As an outdoor person also, and a person who doesn't sit in the house often, the one thing that I sorely miss about living in AZ is the opportunity to find a nice, scenic experience within a 5-6 hour drive, such as Sedona, Flagstaff, Las Vegas, Zion National Park/Utah, Palm Springs, Havasu, beaches of both CA and Mexico which are destinations you'd likely end up visiting more than 2-3 times;

If you drive 5-6 hours outside of Dallas, your options are Galveston, Austin, San Antonio, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Amarillo/Lubbock, Midland/Odessa, Tyler, which after 2-3 times, can get old.

Dallas has options for your career, some cool stuff (and diverse crowd) however, as a side-note, I end up hanging out in Fort Worth more often as it offers a different experience that fits my tastes. Also, my overall living expenses are higher here in DFW, though I earn slightly more than I did in AZ.

Go with your intuition, and you'll end up in the right location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 07:10 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,517,476 times
Neither.

Why not Denver?

Old 04-11-2015, 08:41 PM

16 posts, read 51,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNomad View Post
Go with your intuition, and you'll end up in the right location.
I'd like to think that but I usually end up changing my mind every day so it's really approaching the 'flip a coin' moment! I'd like to live in a Phoenix/Arizona which has a Southern/Texas culture but sadly that doesn't exist! Southern girls and cowboy boots really aren't found in Arizona!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
Neither.

Why not Denver?
I like the heat and Denver looks like it's pretty cold most of the year! I've spent a very long time looking at difference cities all over the US and it's definitely between Phoenix and Dallas. I'm also done travelling to different cities to research and see what they're like, I just have to decide.

Old 04-11-2015, 09:51 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,517,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HutchUSA View Post
I'd like to live in a Phoenix/Arizona which has a Southern/Texas culture but sadly that doesn't exist! Southern girls and cowboy boots really aren't found in Arizona!
While there is very little if any Southern culture in Arizona, some parts of the state do have a strong Texas-esque vibe. I'm thinking Cochise County and parts of Santa Cruz County around Sonoita.

I know Oklahoma is not Texas, but OKC very much reminds me of Tucson without the mountains.

I grew up in Tucson, actually, and in every picture from my childhood, I'm sporting cowboy boots, a snappy-button shirts (or a Dallas Cowboys jersey), and blue jeans. It looked damn good with my curly blond mullet.

Quote:

I like the heat and Denver looks like it's pretty cold most of the year! I've spent a very long time looking at difference cities all over the US and it's definitely between Phoenix and Dallas. I'm also done travelling to different cities to research and see what they're like, I just have to decide.
I admire your confidence. In that case, given what you've said, I think Phoenix is a better match. I'm sure you'll find your niche there and you'll meet girls. There really is no shortage of things to do within a five-hour drive, from skiing to dune-buggy racing. I feel odd saying this because, personally, Phoenix is my least favorite city in the country, but it's calling you. Get your ass down there.

Last edited by Dawn.Davenport; 04-11-2015 at 10:02 PM..

Old 04-11-2015, 09:52 PM

Quote:
I'd like to think that but I usually end up changing my mind every day so it's really approaching the 'flip a coin' moment!
Ok, flip a coin, make the move. If you don't like your choice, move on to the next choice.

Also, like Phoenix, Dallas-Fort Worth is full of transplants from all over, and for every 10 people I meet here, MAYBE 3 are "Southern/Texas" cowboy boot wearing natives.

Again, trust your gut.

Last edited by USNomad; 04-11-2015 at 10:05 PM..

Old 04-11-2015, 10:18 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,099,478 times
I think these two cities are a solid coinflip according to what youre looking for. im in a somewhat similar scenario likes yours, love the outdoors myself but live in houston and want to move back west. phoenix which would fit my criteria.

dallas does have lots of diversity, lots of big city amenities but if the outdoors are what youre looking for, id stick with the southwest. you seem to want southern girls, and although you may not have the texan type women in phx, theres still somewhat an old west cowboy culture in arizona. i was there with co workers for work and spent time out there and people seemed friendly and my co workers never had issues mingling and meeting females.

dallas has a significant edge in the job market, but if it doesnt affect you much, id go with phoenix.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:31 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,881,270 times
Quote:
Denver's not International Falls, MN. Cooler than Dallas or Phoenix? Sure, but summers here are pleasant and Denver is exponentially more outdoorsy than Dallas and Phoenix. You really need to visit Dallas in July or August to get a feel for how humid it really is there. It sucks...big time.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
I grew up in Tucson, actually, and in every picture from my childhood, I'm sporting cowboy boots, a snappy-button shirts (or a Dallas Cowboys jersey), and blue jeans. It looked damn good with my curly blond mullet.
I agree with this. How many places actually give you the day off, and close schools for "Rodeo Day"? Talk about southwest culture! Loved it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Denver's not International Falls, MN. Cooler than Dallas or Phoenix? Sure, but summers here are pleasant and Denver is exponentially more outdoorsy than Dallas and Phoenix. You really need to visit Dallas in July or August to get a feel for how humid it really is there. It sucks...big time.
Colorado is the escape from Texas. When i drive up there, it seems to be a caravan of Texas license plates.

Old 04-13-2015, 07:35 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
I think some people in TX tend to have a skewed idea of what goes on outside of their state.
And here we go...

Old 04-13-2015, 10:54 PM

389 posts, read 596,020 times
I would pick Dallas (I have never lived there, but am a native and current resident of Houston). After living in Phoenix, I can say that it is a hot, dry, dusty, brown desert. I'm not saying that everyone there is pretentious, but it is a recurring theme, especially in Scottsdale. I was underwhelmed by Phoenix. It just lacked culture and diversity. It's where people go that can't afford California, but want mountains/dryness/palm trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City