U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you choose if you're 26, single and like the outdoors?
Phoenix 37 45.12%
Dallas 45 54.88%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-08-2015, 05:02 PM

16 posts, read 26,345 times

Advertisements

A lot of the threads about these cities are quite old, even though I've read them all and they've been really helpful, I'd be interested in getting peoples opinion in 2015 and to share my own experience and get feedback as I've visited and been out in both a few times! It's quite in depth but I needed to make a list anyway and might as well share it with everyone! If you disagree with anything I've said I'd genuinely be interested to hear your opinion so please comment!

Just for starters, I can work in either city so that's not an issue, and I think they both share a lot of things which I'm looking for like:
-Low cost of living/affordable housing
-Located in conservative/tax/regulation friendly states with a good economy which embrace small government
-Large metro areas with international airports and other big city amenities
-Warm climates with very hot summers (let's not get into extreme heat vs humidity, both just need to be toughed out each summer)
-Cars favored over public transit

In that sense I think they're both great cities and would be happy in either but there are also some major differences I've found, especially for single people around my age in their mid-late 20s:

Phoenix pros:
-A house with a pool in a good/prime location is within reach for the average person.
-Clear blue sunny skies virtually every day.
-Those 2 combined means being able to plan a BBQ or pool party or volleyball or hike or boating or any outdoor activity virtually any weekend of the year (except maybe summer) without fear of it being rainy/cloudy/cold. This is by far the biggest draw to Phoenix as I love the outdoors and planning these sort of things.
-Weekend breaks to the LA/San Diego coast, Flagstaff, Vegas etc.. It has to be one of the best locations in the country for weekend road trips!
-Amount of public land. There's an insane amount of sparse land where you can drive out to go camping or shooting or offroading or horse-riding etc.. Texas seems to be almost all privately owned so that sort of stuff is only available if you know someone or have the money to buy land.
-I feel like it's really easy to get around anywhere in Phoenix in my car. The roads/traffic are amazing compared to Dallas which seemed very chaotic!

Phoenix cons:
-The social life. Despite all of the awesome activities to do, it's not exactly the same if there's no-one to do it with! I hate to say it but for a single mid-late 20s guy (26), Phoenix is a terrible place to meet people, especially girls. There is no area where people my age hang out. Downtown is dead, Tempe has nice people but they're all young students and Scottsdale is either for people/families 30s+ or hot 20s girls looking for their old rich sugardaddy. I organize 20s events on Meetup and people on there are friendly as always, but there aren't many on it and I also like to meet people when out and about and I've found the girls in Scottsdale are not friendly or down to earth at all. I hate to stereotype and didn't think it would be as bad as others have said, but sadly it's 100% true. I'm sure there are some nice girls around somewhere, but the odds of meeting them seem extremely low and the ratio of guys-girls here doesn't help. This is essentially the main reason I wouldn't want to live here - the only girls my age are in Scottsdale and they're very much 'Scottsdale girls'.
-Lack of large parks (and grass/trees). Aside from Papago (which is great!) there don't seem to be many large parks in the city. Lots of small ones or mountain hiking areas, but if you just want to go on a long walk/run with your dog in a big park with few people around, there doesn't seem to be anywhere except Papago.
-Always a small risk of lung problems/Valley Fever with all the dust around. Especially if you have a dog, I hear that it's quite common in pets and can require long term treatment. I've also met people who got it and said it was a pretty horrible experience. Maybe not a reason to not move here, but should be taken into account.
-Sunlight hours. It gives people more daylight time in the cooler mornings but without daylight savings it gets dark quite early here (e.g. on a day which gets dark at 8pm in Dallas will get dark at 7pm in Phoenix, giving the people in Dallas an extra hour of sun/sunlight every evening during the summer half of the year - despite being a similar latitude to Phoenix). If you're a morning person this is probably a pro.

Dallas pros:
-The social life. I've been out in Dallas a few times now and the people/girls there are so friendly! Virtually everyone in Uptown is mid 20s-early 30s and more importantly is peoples attitude. You can go up to most girls and say hi and actually have a friendly conversation. Compare that to Scottsdale, whereby if you're not at least 30 years old or 6ft tall wearing flashy clothes with an expensive watch, girls are just not interested in even the slightest bit of conversation (and who wants to meet girls like that anyway!). I've been out about 4 times to different places in Dallas and even more in Scottsdale and this has been the case every single time without exception.
-City living. This is a pro for some people, I prefer living in a house with a yard, but you can live in an apartment in Uptown for a reasonable price surrounded by young people, bars, walking trails etc and probably have a really good time and meet tons of people.
-Southern/country culture. Again, this is a massive pro for me and a con for others but I love southern accents and cowboy boots and country music. I also think this is probably why people are friendlier here, southern hospitality and all. Even though Dallas is quite an international city with people from all over, there are still a lot of Texans around and a night in Cowboys Red River was much more of a real country bar filled with nice people compared to Scottsdale's Whiskey Row.
-Seasons/rain, at least more so than Phoenix. I hate clouds but a little rain now and again is nice!
-It seems like there are a lot more large parks for dog walks/running trails etc.

Dallas cons:
-Volatile climate/cloudy/bad for outdoor fun. Aside from being warm, the weather seems totally random and unpredictable which makes planning all of those fun things I mentioned earlier impossible. I feel like you could put loads of effort into planning a BBQ or day in the park only for it to be a cloudy day or have a random storm appear, and it's never the same doing outdoor stuff with overcast dull gray clouds. Admittedly my experience has mostly been in Winter/Spring but it seems very cloudy in Dallas, especially after spending time in Phoenix!
-Can't get an affordable house anywhere near the good/young areas in Uptown. If you like apartment living that's obviously not an issue. Also insane property tax which seems much worse than Arizonas small income tax. Something to take into account for the future!
-Nowhere near nice places to drive to like snowy mountains or California coast. Flying somewhere for the weekend is rarely practical, especially if you have a dog you want to take places (FYI I don't have a dog but I plan on getting one!).
-I heard the bugs/insects can get pretty annoying in humid places, don't think it's as bad in Phoenix.

I think that generally sums up my experience in both cities, I hope this helps other people looking into it! I moved here from the UK (but consider myself pretty American - love this country!) and have done a bit of travelling which is how I've managed to experience both cities a lot (also been to Austin and Nashville but decided against them). Currently staying in a short term houseshare in Scottsdale but need to make up my mind as to where to settle very soon. I plan on living in the city I choose for at least 4 years, probably a lot longer as I'd like to settle down long term, so this is an unbelievably difficult decision which I find impossible to make, would love some input from anyone who's been in a similar situation! I'd rather live in Phoenix for the house/outdoors/trips but I also hope to meet my future wife in the next few years which makes me think I should move to Dallas where all the nice, friendly, southern girls are (literally every night in Dallas I met a girl who I liked and got on well with compared to zero in the Phoenix area). I mean what's the point of having all the great things Phoenix has to offer if there's no-one to share it with! Tricky decision!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 09:26 PM

326 posts, read 372,770 times
Good Pros and Cons. I think you heavily favor Dallas women in general since they're friendly and the southern culture/vibe appeals to you. Maybe its a good choice for you at this point in life.

For me...Dallas is way too flat for my personal liking, Much preferred Houston's Topography more than Dallas. Phoenix kills it for hiking, outdoor activities, lately music festivals (just had 4-5 last couple of months). It can't be that hard to meet a nice female in Tempe despite the age difference, there are many that now go to Downtown for a night out at Cityscape etc...

Women here are flaky I agree with you, however they can be approachable. Most seem laid back, smile when you give them eye contact on occassion smoke a little tree, but may "act" stuck up if you want/have early expectations on how your game will go.

Cant speak on nightlife but Dallas has a larger population In this case and so more diverse when it comes to areas to "party", but I highly doubt they have anything like Maya Day/NightClub or Mint in Scottsdale.

The weather is messy in Dallas but yes I agree the rainfall is beneficial to any growing metro. Phoenix had its wettest monsoon season ever last year like 6+ of rain so maybe you could trade that for the 7-8 months of pleasant, warm and dry weather we enjoy!

Old 04-09-2015, 02:20 AM

60 posts, read 63,613 times
I think Dallas has much more of a future than Phoenix does. If you want to be around a lot more of the younger crowd, choose the Dallas area because it does have a lot to keep you occupied. Phoenix to me is where the old go to retire and the politics in Arizona in general are to me probably the most backwards out of anywhere in the Western United States. I visit Arizona around once a year to visit my grandparents so I can say that this is what I get out of there. You also seem to have better experience with Dallas women, so don't risk it by going to Phoenix where you could have trouble.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:34 AM

5,361 posts, read 7,050,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingcalm View Post
I think Dallas has much more of a future than Phoenix does. If you want to be around a lot more of the younger crowd, choose the Dallas area because it does have a lot to keep you occupied. Phoenix to me is where the old go to retire and the politics in Arizona in general are to me probably the most backwards out of anywhere in the Western United States. I visit Arizona around once a year to visit my grandparents so I can say that this is what I get out of there. You also seem to have better experience with Dallas women, so don't risk it by going to Phoenix where you could have trouble.
Phoenix has plenty of young people and is not simply a place where people retire. I know I've said it way too many times on here, but hopefully some of you will finally get a clue (regardless of whether or not you've "been there"). The median age in the Phoenix metro is on par or even lower than many other metros its size or larger. I will say that although I used to live in Dallas and enjoyed it there, I think some people in TX tend to have a skewed idea of what goes on outside of their state.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:38 AM

5,602 posts, read 3,464,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Phoenix has plenty of young people and is not simply a place where people retire. I know I've said it way too many times on here, but hopefully some of you will finally get a clue (regardless of whether or not you've "been there"). The median age in the Phoenix metro is on par or even lower than many other metros its size or larger. I will say that although I used to live in Dallas and enjoyed it there, I think some people in TX tend to have a skewed idea of what goes on outside of their state.
Of course they would! They think theyre the center of the universe for some bizarre reason.

OP, I would go with Dallas based on your needs/desires.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:31 AM

6,150 posts, read 9,436,212 times
The OP has "outdoors" listed in his poll caption. If the outdoors is very high on your list of wants then go with Phoenix. Dallas has scads of jobs and cheap houses, but it simply isn't very outdoorsy. Phoenix has actual mountains with a decent amount of elevation (and the cooler temps that go with them) nearby.

Dallas OTOH is largely flat and unless you're swimming in a pool (or god forbid one of the skanky, overcrowded lakes) the heat in summer can seem inescapable.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:02 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,306,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
The OP has "outdoors" listed in his poll caption. If the outdoors is very high on your list of wants then go with Phoenix. Dallas has scads of jobs and cheap houses, but it simply isn't very outdoorsy. Phoenix has actual mountains with a decent amount of elevation (and the cooler temps that go with them) nearby.

Dallas OTOH is largely flat and unless you're swimming in a pool (or god forbid one of the skanky, overcrowded lakes) the heat in summer can seem inescapable.
Phoenix Summers are no better than Dallas summers Phoenix actually gets hotter lol. Dallas has a theme park and NASCAR and nhra drag racing in the metro. Its plenty of outdoor activities if you know where to go. And Dallas isn't Houston flat there are some hills in the southwest area.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:19 PM

Thanks for the responses. Being able to do stuff outdoors is really important which is why Phoenix seems amazing to me. I'd find outdoor stuff to do in Dallas, what bothers me is that whenever I've been there and whenever I look at the forecast it constantly seems like it's either cloudy or stormy which generally ruins most sociable outdoor activities in my opinion!

I've looked into the demographics of Phoenix and there are meant to be young people, but where do all the friendly, down to earth young people hang out? The problem is they seem to be all really young (aka Tempe college crowd - who are nice people but I'm just getting too old for that) or the Scottsdale crowd which is a mix of 20s and 30s+ but all the 20s girls around there just aren't interested in meeting people, I read about it beforehand and didn't believe it could be as bad as people were saying, but in my experience the stereotypical 'Scottsdale girl' is pretty much spot on and every guy I've met here has found exactly the same thing.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:27 PM

60 posts, read 63,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
I probably overgeneralized because usually I'm the one who judges places from personal experiences, haha. The way I saw comparing those two was what would be better for someone who's still relatively on the younger age and just in general, Dallas would seem like the better option for meeting singles. Phoenix don't get me wrong, might have the better weather and nature in general, but I think OP might have preferred lucking out with women of his kind as opposed to weather/nature.

You kind of can't get the best of both worlds in this situation although I think Salt Lake City might, might, be a potential best of both worlds between Dallas and Phoenix. Although it probably is more like Phoenix anyways, and Texas girls seem too much like something you can't find elsewhere unless you're in like say, Oklahoma, Arkansas, or Louisiana. Maybe Fayetteville, Arkansas might be a good best of both worlds option that slightly bends more towards Dallas. The Ozarks I've heard are neat.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingcalm View Post
Phoenix don't get me wrong, might have the better weather and nature in general, but I think OP might have preferred lucking out with women of his kind as opposed to weather/nature.
Haha, the thing is once in a relationship I'd rather be in Phoenix where there's houses and all the good outdoor stuff! Only need to meet the right girl once, I'm just not sure if the odds of that happening in Phoenix are high enough!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or