U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 06:21 PM

5,377 posts, read 7,671,696 times

Advertisements

In shock that anyone is trying to say Downtown Phoenix is more vibrant than Downtown SD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 06:54 PM

4,645 posts, read 7,075,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
In shock that anyone is trying to say Downtown Phoenix is more vibrant than Downtown SD
Exactly! I am somewhat of a Phoenix booster but its vibrant areas are more limited than S.D.

Old 05-08-2017, 07:05 PM

594 posts, read 434,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Not sure how anyone can say Downtown SD doesn't have nightlife or isn't vibrant when the Gaslamp Quarter is arguably one of the most vibrant nightlife districts on the west coast.
With all due respect...
When all 3 people who support the vibrancy of downtown San Diego live somewhere else that should tell you something.
Not one local have come on this thread to support the statement of a vibrant downtown San Diego. NOT ONE !
And just to be specific, one of the 3 lives in the Bay area ( YOU )
The other poster been to San Diego once he claims...oh I'm sorry, that would make him an expert of course.... whom himself lives in Phoenix by way of Chicagoland (we're constantly reminded in the Phoenix forum).
Although I would love to say San Diego has a vibrant downtown, to do so would be inaccurate as well as dishonest.

Old 05-08-2017, 07:22 PM

4,645 posts, read 7,075,148 times
Um, I live walking distance to downtown San Diego for 20 years - am down there all the time and you can't even walk on the sidewalks on most weekend evenings in the Gaslamp Quarter (not really my thing- we mostly stick to uptown, Little Italy and Barrio Logan among other surrounding, equally vibrant areas) it's so fricking crowded with people and forget about it on a spring or summer baseball night! There are always, every weekend, downtown events going on that draw 1000s of people and close streets.

I am neither inaccurate or dishonest. Not to say there are not other Mid-sized cities that don't also have some great, vibrant downtowns and core neighborhoods within them but we are not talking about them.

Old 05-08-2017, 08:31 PM

444 posts, read 504,019 times
San Diego vs Hot & Boring as Hell, That's Why It's Cheaper Here, Arizona . . .

Hmmm, let me count the ways. Actually I won't, let's put up some non-biased nationwide polls to compare the 2 cities:

Health & Life - The Beach Beckons: Florida, California, Hawaii Top States Where Americans Want to Live

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

So in conclusion, people move to a cheap place like Phoenix for economic reasons not so much they really want to. If San Diego and Phoenix had the same costs where would most people choose to live? (Hint: read the polls above)

And LOL @ downtown SD being dead. What are you Zonies smoking out there? CaliKush? Show me any place in all of Arizona that can rival the electric atmosphere of 5th Avenue in the Gaslamp or India St in Little Italy that's not confined to a college campus. Downtown Phoenix? Is you kidding me? Why do Zonies fill up the central core in San Diego on any given day and night? Answer: TO GET A TASTE OF URBANITY.

Last edited by Yac; 05-10-2017 at 06:20 AM..

Old 05-08-2017, 11:08 PM

4,776 posts, read 10,501,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
My response below from my original quote. I'm saying this as someone who grew up in San Diego and has visited the city several times over the past decades btw:

To me, San Diego has a much more vibrant downtown than Phoenix (although Phoenix is making strides in that department), and the inner core neighborhoods like Hillcrest/North Park can go toe-to-toe with Roosevelt and the Central Corridor, but overall, Phoenix is a more dynamic city and has evolved a lot more than San Diego due to its growth and people who have moved there for the last 30 years.It's a metro area of 4.5 Million People (and growing), as opposed to SD County's 3 million people (and has been a lot more steady in its growth since the 1990s). I'm factoring in that the cities are both pretty sprawling and they're not setup the way cities and metros here on the East Coast are, so I don't necessarily think what's lacking in Downtown Phoenix would be as detrimental to the city overall since there are multipolar nodes of activity there, just like San Diego.

Keep in mind, I don't think either of them are that vibrant, since these are some of the more laid-back metros in the country. However, I can see compelling arguments for why someone would find SD more vibrant than Phoenix, especially if they're factoring in its Downtown area and the beaches, and even proximity to other parts of the Southern California megaregion
So because Phx is bigger than SD and is growing at a faster rate, that makes it more vibrant to you? Phoenix's population grew by 11.17% between 2010 to 2016, while SD grew by 7.19% during the same time, so it's not exactly slow growth going on here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tistical_Areas )

Downtown Phoenix doesn't compare to Downtown SD. I was there for the weekend in late March and stayed a Renaissance thinking it would be in the middle of all of the action. Boy was I wrong. No traffic, no pedestrians, nothing. I wandered over to CityScape and can already see another failure in a few years once the novelty wears off. Just another suburban mall trying to be urban......Like the sad Arizona Center nearby. There are 10 cranes in the are in Downtown SD right now, how many does Phoenix have?

And no, Roosevelt does stack up to either Hillcrest or North Park. Welcome Diner was cool but it's in the middle of a dead neighborhood. Desoto Market would have been cooler if there were actually people inside and had more vendors.

I'm curious to know that other nodes activity there are in Phoenix? In SD there's Pacific Beach, Ocean Beach, Mission Beach, La Jolla, Bird Rock, Hillcrest, North Park, University Heights, Normal Heights, Bankers Hill, South Park, Little Italy, Barrio Logan, Middletown, Old Town, among many others. Maybe you can explain to me the Melrose arch? What is that? Why would they build something in the middle of no where? Are they trying to make it a place to be? There is nothing there.

Encanto Park doesn't compare to Balboa Park, Mission Bay Park over Tempe Town Lake, Waterfront Park and Embardero Park is nicer than that downtown park with the jelly fish sculpture, Old Town is more active that Heritage Park..........I can go on and on comparing the liveliness of public spaces in SD and in PHX.

Old 05-08-2017, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexxxcblac View Post
San Diego vibrant downtown???
Phoenix has a lot better downtown with a lot more to.do in the area of entertainment.
I wanted to stay out of this conversation but I have to be honest...residents of San Diego don't even go downtown for anything.
The place is dead.
PB is far more vibrant than downtown San Diego.
Phoenix downtown the synergy is real. I actually love going down there.
I'll put it this way......has anyone and I mean ANYONE ever heard someone say...lets go downtown San Diego to party ?
You obviously know little about San Diego if you think no one goes downtown to party

Enjoy this video of Halloween night from last year and pay attention to the noise, lights, traffic, pedestrians, outdoor patios, historic buildings....things you'll never see on a typical Saturday night in Downtown Phoenix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WnBRHocEbE

Old 05-08-2017, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Well as someone who lives in Phoenix, unless I can afford to live very, very close to the ocean I would never consider California in a million years. Phoenix and San Diego are pretty comparable at the end of the day, in terms of culture especially since it was southern Californians who have been invading Arizona for over 40 years continuously now and brought California culture with them.

Phoenix used to be a more comparable city to San Diego than Los Angeles but as Phoenix is entering yet another large and sudden influx of people that we experienced in the 90s it is starting to feel like we are more comparable to LA.

No, Phoenix is not like a mini LA since LA has over 13 million people. A better comparison is to the Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario Metro (AKA The Inland Empire). The populations are nearly the same and both places grew rapidly because of people fleeing more expensive cities. The demographics are also similar, ie, low educational attainments, low salaries, and high poverty rates as proven in my earlier post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
For starters, Phx has always been a lower tier city when compared to its peers, which says a lot if you ask me. Quantity over quality is a great way to describe it.

Average median households incomes are among the lowest:

Tampa Bay is dead last in median household income among the nation's largest metro areas | Tampa Bay Times

4th lowest educational attainment among 25 largest metro:

Phoenix Among Lowest Large U.S. Metro Areas for College Graduates | Phoenix New Times

3rd highest poverty rate among 25 largest metros:

https://www.census.gov/content/dam/C...acsbr15-01.pdf

Last edited by sdurbanite; 05-09-2017 at 12:01 AM..

Old 05-09-2017, 06:52 AM

3,951 posts, read 2,351,094 times
Being young, OP can get a roommate and make SD affordable. I'd bet bartenders do well there.

Old 05-09-2017, 08:44 AM

2,359 posts, read 1,410,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
You obviously know little about San Diego if you think no one goes downtown to party

Enjoy this video of Halloween night from last year and pay attention to the noise, lights, traffic, pedestrians, outdoor patios, historic buildings....things you'll never see on a typical Saturday night in Downtown Phoenix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WnBRHocEbE
Sure you will and not only will downtown Phoenix look similar so will old town and mill avenue. Another nice element to Phoenix over San Diego is that we're not all heading to the same part of town, that helps make urban amenities easier to come by since you can have a live/work/play lifestyle in more then 1 or 2 parts of town.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htKcPqeXJxU

Here's another big event that takes place on the first Friday of every single month showcasing downtown Phoenix's art scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa1JSNAcMBY

Be sure to notice the crowded eateries and historic homes many of these galleries are based on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City