U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 09:15 AM

15,404 posts, read 24,391,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexxxcblac View Post
With all due respect...
When all 3 people who support the vibrancy of downtown San Diego live somewhere else that should tell you something.
Not one local have come on this thread to support the statement of a vibrant downtown San Diego. NOT ONE !
And just to be specific, one of the 3 lives in the Bay area ( YOU )
The other poster been to San Diego once he claims...oh I'm sorry, that would make him an expert of course.... whom himself lives in Phoenix by way of Chicagoland (we're constantly reminded in the Phoenix forum).
Although I would love to say San Diego has a vibrant downtown, to do so would be inaccurate as well as dishonest.
I lived in San Diego for 9 years (hence the "858" in my username), five of those years in Pacific Beach. Downtown's nightlife scene is way more vibrant than PB's. Have you ever lived in San Diego?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 10:14 AM

5,602 posts, read 3,469,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I lived in San Diego for 9 years (hence the "858" in my username), five of those years in Pacific Beach. Downtown's nightlife scene is way more vibrant than PB's. Have you ever lived in San Diego?
Ignore that poster. He knows amazingly little about SD, and runs all over C-D proclaiming PHX is the greatest city in the world with reckless abandon.

While downtown PHX is growing, its still nothing really special. Its better than it was 10 years ago, and a decent enough place to hang out for a short while, but SD's downtown is livelier. Anyone who has been to both knows the Gaslamp blows anything in downtown PHX away (in terms of liveliness).

Old 05-09-2017, 10:53 AM

594 posts, read 433,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Um, I live walking distance to downtown San Diego for 20 years - am down there all the time and you can't even walk on the sidewalks on most weekend evenings in the Gaslamp Quarter (not really my thing- we mostly stick to uptown, Little Italy and Barrio Logan among other surrounding, equally vibrant areas) it's so fricking crowded with people and forget about it on a spring or summer baseball night! There are always, every weekend, downtown events going on that draw 1000s of people and close streets.

I am neither inaccurate or dishonest. Not to say there are not other Mid-sized cities that don't also have some great, vibrant downtowns and core neighborhoods within them but we are not talking about them.
Really ???
" you can't even walk on the sidewalks...." Really???
" am down there all the time " " not really my thing " I'm confused....which one are you ?
" and forget about it on a spring or summer baseball night" Really???
Is the SAN DIEGO PADRES bringing the crowds to Gaslamp Quarter now?? the SAN DIEGO PADRES ????

By the way thanks for chiming in on the downtown debate !

Old 05-09-2017, 11:13 AM

860 posts, read 468,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
So because Phx is bigger than SD and is growing at a faster rate, that makes it more vibrant to you? Phoenix's population grew by 11.17% between 2010 to 2016, while SD grew by 7.19% during the same time, so it's not exactly slow growth going on here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tistical_Areas )

Downtown Phoenix doesn't compare to Downtown SD. I was there for the weekend in late March and stayed a Renaissance thinking it would be in the middle of all of the action. Boy was I wrong. No traffic, no pedestrians, nothing. I wandered over to CityScape and can already see another failure in a few years once the novelty wears off. Just another suburban mall trying to be urban......Like the sad Arizona Center nearby. There are 10 cranes in the are in Downtown SD right now, how many does Phoenix have?

And no, Roosevelt does stack up to either Hillcrest or North Park. Welcome Diner was cool but it's in the middle of a dead neighborhood. Desoto Market would have been cooler if there were actually people inside and had more vendors.

I'm curious to know that other nodes activity there are in Phoenix? In SD there's Pacific Beach, Ocean Beach, Mission Beach, La Jolla, Bird Rock, Hillcrest, North Park, University Heights, Normal Heights, Bankers Hill, South Park, Little Italy, Barrio Logan, Middletown, Old Town, among many others. Maybe you can explain to me the Melrose arch? What is that? Why would they build something in the middle of no where? Are they trying to make it a place to be? There is nothing there.

Encanto Park doesn't compare to Balboa Park, Mission Bay Park over Tempe Town Lake, Waterfront Park and Embardero Park is nicer than that downtown park with the jelly fish sculpture, Old Town is more active that Heritage Park..........I can go on and on comparing the liveliness of public spaces in SD and in PHX.
Ok

Old 05-09-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
In shock that anyone is trying to say Downtown Phoenix is more vibrant than Downtown SD
I'm also starting to hear rumbles of the PADRES might be thinking about leaving also even though that stadium is fairly new.

Somebody is not being completely honest here....you have people talking about not being able to walk because of the crowds in Gaslamp, in other hand professional teams are leaving like flies.
Columbus, OH is in a better position than San Diego. They have ONE professional team AND THE BUCKEYES.
San Diego is not on par with Phoenix in anything.
My hometown have been relegated to nothing but a cheap vacation spot for Phoenicians in the summer.
Book a room in Hotel Circle for a few days than go back to Phoenix.
A cheap vacation.
Zonies this, Zonies that.
Growing up I got so sick of hearing about Zonies.
PHOENIX AZ IS WHAT SAN DIEGO CALIFORNIA USED TO BE !

Old 05-09-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Ignore that poster. He knows amazingly little about SD, and runs all over C-D proclaiming PHX is the greatest city in the world with reckless abandon.

While downtown PHX is growing, its still nothing really special. Its better than it was 10 years ago, and a decent enough place to hang out for a short while, but SD's downtown is livelier. Anyone who has been to both knows the Gaslamp blows anything in downtown PHX away (in terms of liveliness).
Really???
I don't recall Sav858 posting in the Phoenix forum or posting in City-Data posting about Phoenix with reckless abandon...
Are you sure you're not talking about something you know absolutely nothing about...........AGAIN?????

Old 05-09-2017, 11:52 AM

5,602 posts, read 3,469,469 times
Quote:
Really???
I don't recall Sav858 posting in the Phoenix forum or posting in City-Data posting about Phoenix with reckless abandon...
Are you sure you're not talking about something you know absolutely nothing about...........AGAIN?????
Dude, your main goal on C-D is to either A) follow me around and stalk me B) say rude things about me or C) boast that PHX is better than everything on Earth.

Its time you start acknowledging PHX lacks in many areas and quit pretending that it doesn't. You really need to go visit cities that are half of PHX's size yet incredibly more efficient and vibrant. We both love PHX, but you cant ignore the obvious.

Old 05-09-2017, 05:29 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,406,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Its time you start acknowledging PHX lacks in many areas and quit pretending that it doesn't. You really need to go visit cities that are half of PHX's size yet incredibly more efficient and vibrant. We both love PHX, but you cant ignore the obvious.
Phoenix is more spread out then San Diego and many other older cities, to some that's a con to others it's a pro. I like the fact that Tempe and Old Town as well as downtown have urban environments to live or work in. That means all 5 million of us aren't trying to live and visit the same 3 mile radius for work and entertainment. When you combine the multiple urban areas Phoenix offers it stacks up just fine.

It's easy to ignore the many amenities San Diego lacks just because people get excited about the gas lamp district... 1 pro team, limited job prospects, limited large events, limited airport connectivity, and outside of downtown San Diego the area is pretty low key.

Old 05-09-2017, 05:44 PM

15,404 posts, read 24,391,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Phoenix is more spread out then San Diego and many other older cities, to some that's a con to others it's a pro. I like the fact that Tempe and Old Town as well as downtown have urban environments to live or work in. That means all 5 million of us aren't trying to live and visit the same 3 mile radius for work and entertainment. When you combine the multiple urban areas Phoenix offers it stacks up just fine.

It's easy to ignore the many amenities San Diego lacks just because people get excited about the gas lamp district... 1 pro team, limited job prospects, limited large events, limited airport connectivity, and outside of downtown San Diego the area is pretty low key.
Aside from Tempe, Old Town, and downtown Phx what other vibrant "urban" areas does Phoenix really have?

Some of the beach communities are arguably just as or more vibrant than Downtown San Diego during the day.

Old 05-09-2017, 07:38 PM

4,638 posts, read 7,068,281 times
Quote:
Really ???
" you can't even walk on the sidewalks...." Really???
Yep, too crowded to walk, gotta go out in the street or gutter to actually move past the crowds
" am down there all the time " " not really my thing " I'm confused....which one are you ?
I'm down there all the time in both the day and night but don't really go clubbing or in the mostly tourist restaurants in the Gaslamp as noted
" and forget about it on a spring or summer baseball night" Really???
absolutley, ridiculously crowded- more so than the video included from over 10 years ago with so much more development having taken place
Is the SAN DIEGO PADRES bringing the crowds to Gaslamp Quarter now?? the SAN DIEGO PADRES ????
Sure, it's the best ballpark in the country, even if the crowds aren't huge it is smack dab in the middle of downtown and that crowd makes its presence known every home game

REALLY

By the way thanks for chiming in on the downtown debate !
You are welcome, you on the other hand have nothing to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City