U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 12:37 PM

5,602 posts, read 3,659,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenBronco8 View Post

We have probably the best concert venue in the country. Red Rocks Ampitheatre.
Good heavens, no. Its a unique setting, Ill give you that much. But "best venue"? Heck to the no. Not even close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 08:40 PM

2,440 posts, read 1,512,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenBronco8 View Post
I've came to Phoenix way more then once. And yes sometimes we will get snow on April or even may. But all the warm sunny days in December and January make up for that. I never said Phoenix doesn't have some great aspects to it. There is nothing that Phoenix does better then Denver to make it a dynamic city. You host one of the largest art walks..well that's cool. We have the 2nd biggest performing arts complex in the country.

We have probably the best concert venue in the country. Red Rocks Ampitheatre. We have a world class airport, better public transportation, the more urban city, one of the best economies in the U.S. lowest unemployment rate, I can go on and on.

Keep in mind I'm not saying Phoenix is a bad city, but it shouldn't have been on that list..it's understandable though because that list was made in 2012. A lot has changed since then.
I like how you say Phoenix does nothing better than Denver in one sentence then a few later admit that we host one of the largest art walks. Clearly we're doing something well here, 6th largest city and 12th largest metro doesn't happen by mistake.

Another one of my favorite things about Phoenix is it's not full of over-hype, which is exactly what you and countless others continually try to push for places like Denver, Austin and so on. Then you get there and realize Redrocks isn't even in the City of Denver, it's 20 miles away and nothing happens in it for 7 months of the year cause it's too friggin cold to want to sit outside.

Nothing makes Phoenix more dynamic huh?

DPAC is great, Phoenix is loaded with theaters too, they're not a contigious complex which is the reason why Denver's is "the largest between the West Coast and Chicago." Okay, great? Downtown Phoenix boats Orpheum, Comerica, Herberger and Symphony Hall. Tempe has Gammage, Tempe Arts Center and Mesa has Ikeda.

Our museums garner plenty of attention and accolades, including Musical Instrument Museum is recognized as the largest of it's type in the world, featuring over 15,000 musical instruments and an amazing line up of concerts that perform year-round. The Heard is commonly recognized as one of the top native American museums nationally as well. Checking in at 250,000 square feet, Phoenix Art Museum is no slouch either.

The Odysea aquarium boasts 2,000,000 gallons of salt water and features. That's about 6x the animals and 2x the size of Denver's Downtown Aquarium.

The Phoenix area also has 2 zoos, the 140 acre Desert Botanical Garden filled with over 21,000 plants including some of the rarest in the world, the largest butterfly conservatory in the world and Taliesin West home of the Frank Lloyd Wright's west coast architecture school.

But as you said, nothing to see here... The simple fact that a city is laid out different means there's nothing dynamic or interesting right??

Old 01-19-2018, 04:18 AM

5,395 posts, read 7,859,421 times
OP has most likely already decided but...According to his criteria, I'd say San Diego. Phoenix offers the same things at a cheaper price though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
So you like snow more than some of us, I wouldn't willingly choose to deal with Denver weather, I was there at the end April and it was in the 40s, you have an extremely long period of cold weather and it can snow like 7 months of the year, sure there's the ocassional warmups mixed... not enough to make me want to live there.
I don't want to drag this thread off topic even more, but I just have to comment. I know Phoenicians can't handle the cold, but it's not that bad. So what if it snows a bit in April/May? It'll literally be gone a day or two after. I mean, the weather in Phoenix isn't exactly a walk in the park either. I'd prefer weather that doesn't allow you to easily cook eggs on the sidewalk

Last edited by Mezter; 01-19-2018 at 04:44 AM..

Old 01-19-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
OP has most likely already decided but...According to his criteria, I'd say San Diego. Phoenix offers the same things at a cheaper price though.

I don't want to drag this thread off topic even more, but I just have to comment. I know Phoenicians can't handle the cold, but it's not that bad. So what if it snows a bit in April/May? It'll literally be gone a day or two after. I mean, the weather in Phoenix isn't exactly a walk in the park either. I'd prefer weather that doesn't allow you to easily cook eggs on the sidewalk
I can handle cold just fine, I happen to prefer not to. I’d rather not live somewhere where it’s so cold that you actually have to scrape frozen precipitation off the car windows before you can drive it. By the way, you have to work and try really hrd to fry an egg on a sidewalk here and the hours of the most extreme summer days where that’s possible are short lived plus most of us are in the office at work during that stretch of the day. Put another way, you wait a few days for snow to melt, I wait a few hours for the sun to drop and no issue heading outside.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:

Denver's weather sucks. Just because its a bit sunnier than most places, doesn't make its weather "desirable". I don't care if the snow only lasts 2-3 days. When it snows in May, that's just ridiculous.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:02 AM

5,395 posts, read 7,859,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
I can handle cold just fine, I happen to prefer not to. I’d rather not live somewhere where it’s so cold that you actually have to scrape frozen precipitation off the car windows before you can drive it. By the way, you have to work and try really hrd to fry an egg on a sidewalk here and the hours of the most extreme summer days where that’s possible are short lived plus most of us are in the office at work during that stretch of the day. Put another way, you wait a few days for snow to melt, I wait a few hours for the sun to drop and no issue heading outside.
The thing is, in Phoenix it's going to be 100F+ weather constantly for 3 months straight (With maybe a few days of relief). The same can't be said about Denver and the snow. Just snowed a few days ago and it was completely gone by the end of the day. The next few days were in the 50s/60s. It's not the Midwest/Northeast. But to each their own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Denver's weather sucks. Just because its a bit sunnier than most places, doesn't make its weather "desirable". I don't care if the snow only lasts 2-3 days. When it snows in May, that's just ridiculous.
Denver's weather is fine, and many think so as well. It doesn't even snow that much in May though. The average high for May in Denver is 71F and by then the leaves are already on trees. Once again, cold period =/= winter. And when it snows in May usually it's gone the same day. It can last longer in April however.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:04 AM

Quote:
The thing is, in Phoenix it's going to be 100F+ weather constantly for 3 months straight (With maybe a few days of relief). The same can't be said about Denver and the snow. Just snowed a few days ago and it was completely gone by the end of the day. The next few days were in the 50s/60s. It's not the Midwest/Northeast. But to each their own.
Congratulations. The Midwest just had the same weather. On average Denver is a bit warmer during the day, but just as cold (and colder) at night. And many times I see Denver is colder than Chicago and even MPLS at times.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:

Denver's weather is fine, and many think so as well. It doesn't even snow that much in May though. The average high for May in Denver is 71F and by then the leaves are already on trees. Once again, cold period =/= winter. And when it snows in May usually it's gone the same day. It can last longer in April however.
Itís not 100 constantly for 3 months, it cools off to under 100 consistently every single night of every year. We have high temps that hit 100 and you simply do your outdoor activities when itís cooler, morning or night. We also benefit from being less than a 2 hour drive from the high country where 20 or more degrees cooler.

50s and 60s in the day while Iím at work means cold a Hell after the sun sets, when Iím actually off. Iíd rather it be warmer so itís comfy for dining al fresco and sunset hikes which a lot of us Phoenicians like to do. Phoenix weather is fine, 5 million of us do just fine here and another 100,000 are jumping on board every year.

Iím glad youíre content in Denver thatís the beauty of a free world, we can all live where we want. I do think most that havenít lived here exaggerate the impact of the heat, yeah itís sucks but itís not that difficult to work around. 15 summers in and I still crank out 3-5 hikes or mountain bike rides every week of the year.

Old 01-19-2018, 02:25 PM

5,404 posts, read 7,190,857 times
Quote:

I think many Phoenicians can handle the cold better than you think. One of the snowiest cities in the country (Flagstaff) is just a few hours away. In fact, many of us come from cold-weather cities. I'm from Chicago area originally, although I haven't lived there since the 80's. Yet, almost every year, I make the trek up there for the holidays. I over-prepare myself for the cold, and then I'm underwhelmed by the fact that I overestimated it. However, I wouldn't want to live in that environment post-holidays through April during the "depressing months". Yet, I can't say Phoenix is without its drawbacks. The summers can occasionally feel miserable depending upon the humidity levels during Monsoon season and how long someone chooses to remain outdoors. San Diego has nice weather and I love the city, yet there's not enough variance in the weather to make it interesting and I like at least a little bit of variety. I guess one has to pick his/her poison. BTW, who cooks eggs on the sidewalks here? Silly idea...lol.

Old Yesterday, 09:17 PM

326 posts, read 788,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Honestly, I prefer LA to San Diego as a place to live. Phoenix is better than San Diego in this regard. Only advantage to San Diego is if you work in tech or medicine. Otherwise, you are better off in Phoenix or LA
What makes you say that San Diego has an advantage over Phoenix for those who have careers in Technology or Medicine?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City