U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 07:54 PM

5,361 posts, read 7,052,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongNote View Post
No, Phoenix does not have "plenty" to offer. I'm not into the beach or camping, so for me San Diego doesn't have that much to offer either, but it's still miles ahead of Phoenix. Phoenix sucks in almost every way possible.
Umm...if you're not really a fan of either city, why are you even posting in this thread? Based on your response, I highly doubt you've done any extensive living in either city. The OP is most likely looking for genuine responses, not some ridiculously faulty assumptions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 09:11 PM

1,640 posts, read 1,906,926 times
After living in the Phoenix area for two years in the recent past, my impression is that most college-aged kids who move to Phoenix from the Midwest, East Coast, or another part of the Intermountain West have intentions of eventually moving on to Southern California after finishing school.

Also, lots of kids who grow up in Arizona move on after college as well, since Phoenix offers little in the way of career advancement opportunities in most industries. That's not to mention that it doesn't have a very strong social scene for those between the ages of 22-35 who aren't bros/bimbos.

For the most part, young adults from Arizona who are serious professionals move to Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, and Dallas among other cities. Those who want to lead a beach bum lifestyle tend to gravitate towards San Diego.

Go from there.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:46 PM

312 posts, read 339,718 times
I lived in Phoenix for several years, and my parents live there. I wasn't a fan. I would choose San Diego over Phoenix, although I have never lived there. While the cost of living in Phoenix may be cheaper, you get what you pay for. The summers were excruciatingly hot, and this is coming from a native of Houston, Texas. But not only were the summers hot, the winters were still quite chilly. San Diego has milder summers than Phoenix, and the winters are going to be warmer as well.

San Diego is prettier and greener than Phoenix. They both have mountains, but San Diego has ocean. Also, San Diego is more urban and dense than Phoenix.

The only pro I can come up with for Phoenix (besides cheaper cost-of-living) is having a bigger airport with a major airline hub in town (US Airways).

I would pick San Diego, although I'm sure both would be an improvement over the Midwest...

Old 04-11-2015, 01:36 PM

779 posts, read 649,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Umm...if you're not really a fan of either city, why are you even posting in this thread? Based on your response, I highly doubt you've done any extensive living in either city. The OP is most likely looking for genuine responses, not some ridiculously faulty assumptions.
OK...

To the OP, as everyone here is saying, go with San Diego if you can afford the higher cost of living.

Old 04-11-2015, 04:23 PM

273 posts, read 249,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
After living in the Phoenix area for two years in the recent past, my impression is that most college-aged kids who move to Phoenix from the Midwest, East Coast, or another part of the Intermountain West have intentions of eventually moving on to Southern California after finishing school.

Also, lots of kids who grow up in Arizona move on after college as well, since Phoenix offers little in the way of career advancement opportunities in most industries. That's not to mention that it doesn't have a very strong social scene for those between the ages of 22-35 who aren't bros/bimbos.

For the most part, young adults from Arizona who are serious professionals move to Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, and Dallas among other cities. Those who want to lead a beach bum lifestyle tend to gravitate towards San Diego.

Go from there.
Do you have any facts or links to back up your ridiculous claim that most young adults move out of Arizona after college? If that was true than Arizona wouldn't be top 10 in population growth year in and year out now would it? Tempe, Scottsdale and even downtown Phoenix have a very respectable and vibrant social scene for young adults and highly educated professionals.

With all that being said though I'd choose San Diego, I mean it's one of the most prestigious and sought after cities in all the world; just make sure to bring a substantial bankroll, the cost of living is no joke.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:14 PM

755 posts, read 505,061 times
San Diego is nice, but it is SMALL!!!! After the beach, Sea World, and The Zoo....it is pretty ah.... Better weather than Phoenix and the beach, but that doesn't make it hands down better. And cost is a major factor when it comes to having money to enjoy what the city offers. For a young person, I'd pick LA.....but SD will have to do because LA isn't on the list.

Don't sleep on Phoenix though.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:23 PM

312 posts, read 339,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Valencia View Post
Do you have any facts or links to back up your ridiculous claim that most young adults move out of Arizona after college? If that was true than Arizona wouldn't be top 10 in population growth year in and year out now would it? Tempe, Scottsdale and even downtown Phoenix have a very respectable and vibrant social scene for young adults and highly educated professionals.
The population growth rate has nothing to do with young adults moving out of Arizona after college. It's a transient place, with people always coming and going. The amount of inbound moves does outnumber the amount of outbound, leading to a net gain in population growth. But that doesn't mean that there are not a lot of outbound moves.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK115 View Post
The population growth rate has nothing to do with young adults moving out of Arizona after college. It's a transient place, with people always coming and going. The amount of inbound moves does outnumber the amount of outbound, leading to a net gain in population growth. But that doesn't mean that there are not a lot of outbound moves.
Phoenix has always been a transient market. The same can be said for other markets.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:39 AM

9,044 posts, read 17,306,273 times
If I had to choose between being broke in San Diego and getting ahead financially in Phoenix, I'd go for the latter. I'd also take in the good life in San Diego and spend long weekends in places like La Jolla or Coronado at various times throughout the year. Yeah, that sounds good to me.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
If I had to choose between being broke in San Diego and getting ahead financially in Phoenix, I'd go for the latter. I'd also take in the good life in San Diego and spend long weekends in places like La Jolla or Coronado at various times throughout the year. Yeah, that sounds good to me.
I love San Diego, but this works for me as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City