Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 09:50 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,688,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soursop View Post
There really is no comparison between San Diego and Phoenix. San Diego is on another level in nearly every category.
Only if you know nothing about Phoenix, which this post makes it sound like you don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2017, 08:37 AM

827 posts, read 682,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Only if you know nothing about Phoenix, which this post makes it sound like you don't.
Phoenix is a great city, but it has nothing on San Diego. Thanks for trolling me though. It has been a while.

Old 04-15-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Phoenix is a great city, but it has nothing on San Diego. Thanks for trolling me though. It has been a while.
One of us has facts and the other posts opinions, who is trolling who here?

Phoenix has nothing on San Diego? San Diego does have nice beaches and Little Italy is cool but as far as day to day life goes Phoenix has outpaced San Diego in most important measures.

Size? 4.8M in PHX to 3.4M in SD
Big 4 Sports? 1 in SD, 4 in PHX
Non-Fram Employment? PHX 2.1M, 1.4M SD
COL adjusted wages? $25/hr Phoenix, $20/hr in SD
Fortune 500's HQ's? More in Phoenix
Bigger airport? Phoenix
Job/Population Growth? Both higher in Phoenix
Cost of Living? Much higher in SD
College students? More in Phoenix
Things to do? Phoenix ranks 14th in cultural destinations per capita, SD didn't make the top 20 ranking.
Entertainment? 2 valley cities outrank San Diego on this as well. Including things like nightlife, restaurants, number of festivals, etc...

Old 04-16-2017, 12:29 PM

827 posts, read 682,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
One of us has facts and the other posts opinions, who is trolling who here?

Phoenix has nothing on San Diego? San Diego does have nice beaches and Little Italy is cool but as far as day to day life goes Phoenix has outpaced San Diego in most important measures.

Size? 4.8M in PHX to 3.4M in SD
Big 4 Sports? 1 in SD, 4 in PHX
Non-Fram Employment? PHX 2.1M, 1.4M SD
COL adjusted wages? $25/hr Phoenix, $20/hr in SD
Fortune 500's HQ's? More in Phoenix
Bigger airport? Phoenix
Job/Population Growth? Both higher in Phoenix
Cost of Living? Much higher in SD
College students? More in Phoenix
Things to do? Phoenix ranks 14th in cultural destinations per capita, SD didn't make the top 20 ranking.
Entertainment? 2 valley cities outrank San Diego on this as well. Including things like nightlife, restaurants, number of festivals, etc...
Your statistics don't prove that Phoenix is a better city because quality of life is not a mathematical equation.

I offered an opinion about which city was better. Then you trolled me by accusing me of knowing nothing about two places that I've visited many times. I didn't come out of the blue and criticize you just because I had a different opinion. What you did is trolling on the other hand.

Any beautiful place by the sea is better than someplace in the middle of a desert almost by default.

Being larger does not make Phoenix better.

Having a nice airport does not constitute a great city.

-1 for anyplace in Arizona because of rampant racism and xenophobia.

# of college students as a measure of a cities greatness? How do you figure?

Entertainment is much better in San Diego. You have beach access for boating, surfing, body boarding, swimming etc. The weather is always nice enough for hiking or cycling or any other outdoor activity that you want to do.

Cost of living is higher in San Diego that is true.

Phoenix does have a better job market and better sports teams. That is also true.

Both cities are great, but San Diego is a better place to live overall.

Old 04-16-2017, 02:11 PM

8,520 posts, read 10,040,360 times
I love my hometown Phoenix, but will likely always love San Diego more.

Old 04-16-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Your statistics don't prove that Phoenix is a better city because quality of life is not a mathematical equation.

I offered an opinion about which city was better. Then you trolled me by accusing me of knowing nothing about two places that I've visited many times. I didn't come out of the blue and criticize you just because I had a different opinion. What you did is trolling on the other hand.

Any beautiful place by the sea is better than someplace in the middle of a desert almost by default.

Being larger does not make Phoenix better.

Having a nice airport does not constitute a great city.

-1 for anyplace in Arizona because of rampant racism and xenophobia.

# of college students as a measure of a cities greatness? How do you figure?

Entertainment is much better in San Diego. You have beach access for boating, surfing, body boarding, swimming etc. The weather is always nice enough for hiking or cycling or any other outdoor activity that you want to do.

Cost of living is higher in San Diego that is true.

Phoenix does have a better job market and better sports teams. That is also true.

Both cities are great, but San Diego is a better place to live overall.
That's your opinion and this is mine, beaches are but it doesn't make up for everything else San Diego lacks, at least for me.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:14 PM

53 posts, read 51,287 times
Phoenix is a better city than San Diego. More diverse, more trendy, bigger population = more entertainment and big city amenities.

San Diego is lovely, but it's overpriced. Other than the climate it doesn't offer anything you can't find in other mid-size cities like Tampa, Raleigh, and Kansas City for a fraction of the COL.

California beaches are not that great other than for photography. The water is chilly and it's not as clean as many of the East Coast beaches. If you want nice beaches and water activities for everyday living move to Florida.

Many Californians seem to think any place outside California is garbage. Don't take it seriously when other posters day that Californians in Phoenix would move to back if they could. Lol I had a roommate that told me she thought San Jose was better city than NYC.

As for older people, there's plenty of those in San Diego as well. Lots of rich retirees in the San Diego area. Job market is also mediocre in the San Diego area and many jobs don't pay on par with the COL.

Phoenix isn't my favorite and San Diego is a nice place. But in terms of offerings from employment, entertainment, amenities, and diversity Phoenix is better.

Old 04-16-2017, 08:45 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,900,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue123 View Post
Phoenix is a better city than San Diego. More diverse, more trendy, bigger population = more entertainment and big city amenities.

San Diego is lovely, but it's overpriced. Other than the climate it doesn't offer anything you can't find in other mid-size cities like Tampa, Raleigh, and Kansas City for a fraction of the COL.

California beaches are not that great other than for photography. The water is chilly and it's not as clean as many of the East Coast beaches. If you want nice beaches and water activities for everyday living move to Florida.

Many Californians seem to think any place outside California is garbage. Don't take it seriously when other posters day that Californians in Phoenix would move to back if they could. Lol I had a roommate that told me she thought San Jose was better city than NYC.

As for older people, there's plenty of those in San Diego as well. Lots of rich retirees in the San Diego area. Job market is also mediocre in the San Diego area and many jobs don't pay on par with the COL.

Phoenix isn't my favorite and San Diego is a nice place. But in terms of offerings from employment, entertainment, amenities, and diversity Phoenix is better.
In some cases, San Jose is a better city than NY: better weather, stronger economy, more defined and cozy downtown, nicer airport, lower crime, cleaner and better scenery.

Old 04-23-2017, 02:30 PM

594 posts, read 693,790 times
Born and raised in San Diego.
Phoenix resident for 20 years. I love the flattering responses to my hometown but I have to be honest...
Phoenix blows San Diego out the water.
San Diego has been living off past perception for some time now.
The Bolts relocation to LA was the final straw.
I think everyone knows what residents already knew..the bloom is off the rose.
I'm not going to put my home town's dirty laundry out there, I refuse to do that.
I'm just going to say this....San Diego today is not on par with Phoenix in any category.
I'm still trying to figure out what happened.

Old 04-23-2017, 03:23 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,204,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexxxcblac View Post
Born and raised in San Diego.
Phoenix resident for 20 years. I love the flattering responses to my hometown but I have to be honest...
Phoenix blows San Diego out the water.
San Diego has been living off past perception for some time now.
The Bolts relocation to LA was the final straw.
I think everyone knows what residents already knew..the bloom is off the rose.
I'm not going to put my home town's dirty laundry out there, I refuse to do that.
I'm just going to say this....San Diego today is not on par with Phoenix in any category.
I'm still trying to figure out what happened.
I think San Diego got too comfortable in its status as the anti-LA alternative to South England California live by. Although it's a cosmopolitan city, a lot of people there can be quite provincial and hostile to anything that would make San Diego more "big-league" and attract more people. The great weather and the chill vibe make the city very complacent, and other cities have surpassed it in terms of growth, economy, and amenities. Someone once told me that living in San Diego was like living a permanent Sunday Afternoon, and that makes perfect sense. When you don't have to worry about weather extremes or becoming a desirable destination because you already are, there tends to be a sameness to the place. I grew up there in the 1980s and 1990s, and while there's a LOT that has changed (baseball stadium, development in Downtown, improvements in North Park and Hillcrest, etc.), a lot of people still like to fantasize that San Diego is still the mid-sized town it was in the 1970s rather than a city of 1.3 Million people and all the good and bad that comes with that.

San Diego and Phoenix were roughly the same size back in 1980, and its quite obvious who "won" the growth war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City