U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Philadelphia more urban than Chicago?
More urban 46 24.60%
Less urban 100 53.48%
About the same/don't know/don't care 41 21.93%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-24-2015, 10:23 AM

9,701 posts, read 6,669,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
As a whole, yes, but Queens is not unlike may parts of Chicago (though not all of Queens or anything) in terms of built environment and density.

This for example in Queens is not unlike something you'd find in an area of Chicago like Lakeview, Lincoln Park, Uptown, Edgewater, etc and I'd bet real money that you could convince someone from Chicago who's familiar with those areas that it's actually Chicago (as long as you were to blur out all the license plates on the street):

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7467...7i13312!8i6656
I can't even think of a single block anywhere like that in Chicago.

To me, it seems pretty obvious NYC, as look at the building types, look at the street and sidewalk. They basically scream NYC.

Is there even one similar block anywhere in Chicago?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 10:25 AM

14,304 posts, read 17,924,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Yes. There are blocks in Lakeview East east of Broadway and west of the Lake are like this but you're right - not exactly. What I meant though is you could probably make someone believe that's in Chicago somewhere.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:37 AM

3,919 posts, read 5,040,632 times
Quote:
Yes. There are blocks in Lakeview East east of Broadway and west of the Lake are like this but you're right - not exactly. What I meant though is you could probably make someone believe that's in Chicago somewhere.
Yeah, it's not too dissimilar from down the street of where I live in Edgewater:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9926...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Setbacks are a bit wider as are the sidewalks.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:40 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,310,375 times
Quote:

To me, it seems pretty obvious NYC, as look at the building types, look at the street and sidewalk. They basically scream NYC.

ALWAYS THE SAME..... NOLA nothing in Chicago as Mighty NYC has.... not on iota of a block ..... We can count on it. Something negative toward Chicago AND BRING NYC IN to lessen it.

Just because Chicago has a couple feet more set-backs from the street and alleyways..... At least you could acknowledge what others say of ACCUAL DENSITIES in Lakeside neighborhoods when the Lakeshore parks and harbors are removed..... ONE TIME. But I still can't forget your arguing Brooklyn's Brownstones are superior to any of Chicago's Greystone/Brownstond Victorian areas... It is on ALL THINGS..... you refer to as inferior?

Last edited by steeps; 06-24-2015 at 10:48 AM..

Old 06-24-2015, 10:42 AM

252 posts, read 195,029 times
Quote:
I wonder what the density of Chicago would be if you were to get rid of the water/park areas along the lake from those tracts . Even down on the south side in South Shore, there are tracts with a density of under 10K per sq mile, but some of the block groups within those have density of 30k-50k per sq mile. Hyde Park has some of this going on too - as well as, of course, Near South Side where Museum Campus/Soldier Field and all that stuff is.
I doubt it'd be significantly higher. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think water is counted by the Census in calculating density and it can't be more than like 40 tracts affected by the Lakefront parks

Old 06-24-2015, 11:45 AM

14,304 posts, read 17,924,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMBX View Post
I doubt it'd be significantly higher. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think water is counted by the Census in calculating density and it can't be more than like 40 tracts affected by the Lakefront parks
I'm not sure - the source I'm using actually counts it I think

Old 06-24-2015, 12:00 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,310,375 times
Quote:
Would Density Tract counts dismiss these parks? Because of Harbors within Land areas, for Lincoln Park? But High-rises line 3-sides of it.
Would the US census leave out Millennium/Grant Park, from the Cities 2-miles from city hall downtown count? When Skyscrapers line 3 sides of it?

.... Lincoln Park....... Grant Park..... Millennium Park.... Lincoln Park
Attached Thumbnails
Is Philly more urban than Chicago?-chicago-gold-coast-downtown-_.jpg   Is Philly more urban than Chicago?-grant-park-downtown-chicago-__.jpg   Is Philly more urban than Chicago?-millennium-park-grant-chicago-loop_.jpg   Is Philly more urban than Chicago?-north-shoreline-chicago_.jpg  

Old 06-25-2015, 01:26 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,336,466 times
Quote:

Chicago is more urban and that's that!

Old 06-25-2015, 01:40 PM

9,701 posts, read 6,669,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Yeah, it's not too dissimilar from down the street of where I live in Edgewater:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9926...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Setbacks are a bit wider as are the sidewalks.
To me, those blocks aren't very similar. The Edgewater block obviously has lots of lawn separating the street from the sidewalk, and the sidewalk from the buildings, and the buildings themselves have a totally different appearance and scale. Then there's all those gated courtyard thingees that are common to Chicago and rare in NYC.

I wouldn't be surprised if the first block (the Queens block) had at least twice the density of the Edgewater (Chicago) block. Bigger, taller buildings, bigger building footprints, no setbacks, smaller street, no wasted public or private space.

Old 06-25-2015, 02:31 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,740 posts, read 39,621,992 times
Quote:
I agree there's a lot of Chicago that's similar to large parts of Queens, and the cities are relatively similar in the 25K-50K range. The difference comes at 50K+, where Queens blows Chicago out of the water (I know that's not really the point, just sayin)
Rather large density gap:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or