Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city in the rust belt do you prefer?
Rochester 2 1.85%
Buffalo 2 1.85%
Pittsburgh 38 35.19%
Cleveland 15 13.89%
Cincinnati 9 8.33%
Saint Louis 14 12.96%
Detroit 13 12.04%
Milwaukee 15 13.89%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 07:19 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Pittsburgh for ten years now, and I've had limited experience with a number of other rust belt cities, including Detroit (lived there), Buffalo (almost went to school there, explored the city a lot) and Cleveland (visited a lot, given I live pretty close to it). I personally feel like Pittsburgh stands above its rust belt peers in a lot of ways right now, although of course that's a subjective opinion.

Therefore, I thought I'd throw this out to you guys - voting on the eight cities I consider the core rust belt today: Rochester, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Saint Louis, Detroit, and Milwaukee. Given the rules of this subforum require more than "best overall" I'll provide a few topics to consider.

1. Strong local economy within city limits
2. Healthy core city with low blight and a wide mix of neighborhoods
3. Lowest crime rate
4. Urban built form
5. Good quality of life/cost of living
6. Able to get around well without a car (transit, walkability,etc)
7. Vibrant mixed-use neighborhood commercial districts
8. Good arts scene
9. Educational options
10. The ineffable "culture" aspects - the uniqueness of the city itself

Regardless, poll is incoming...

Last edited by eschaton; 06-17-2015 at 07:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 08:00 AM

638 posts, read 978,219 times
Geographically I love Cleveland.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:52 AM

1,014 posts, read 3,585,845 times
I chose Pittsburgh and I would have chosen Cincinnati as well but I was only given one choice.

Old 06-18-2015, 02:07 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
Of those poll choices as a standalone city (meaning when we stop looking at location "near" other big cities and actually at the individual cities and their surrounding environs on the poll itself)?

Greater Detroit by far.

Old 06-18-2015, 02:10 PM

4,240 posts, read 4,917,434 times
Pittsburgh.

Wow current results! Lots of love for Milwaukee

Old 06-18-2015, 02:16 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,307,609 times
It's not on the list, but I have to give a little love to Toledo, Ohio. Seriously. Everyone dismisses it, but it has many pluses: a world class zoo (voted best zoo in the country by USA Today), a world class art museum, an amazing metroparks system, a riverfront, a blossoming downtown with a gorgeous ballpark, bars, restaurants, and beautiful loft apartments, and attractive, safe, family friendly suburbs. All this and waterfront access to the Great Lakes.

Toledo is highly underrated and actually has a lot to offer.

Old 06-18-2015, 02:28 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
I'm not sure Rochester or Cincy should be on this list. They weren't ever big heavy industry type cities.

You should probably drop those two cities and add Chicago, maybe, and/or Toledo? They were both heavy industry cities, but maybe Chicago is too big and Toledo too small for the list.

Old 06-18-2015, 02:29 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
It's not on the list, but I have to give a little love to Toledo, Ohio. Seriously. Everyone dismisses it, but it has many pluses: a world class zoo (voted best zoo in the country by USA Today), a world class art museum, an amazing metroparks system, a riverfront, a blossoming downtown with a gorgeous ballpark, bars, restaurants, and beautiful loft apartments, and attractive, safe, family friendly suburbs. All this and waterfront access to the Great Lakes.

Toledo has a nice zoo and nice art museum, but I can't think of anything else. It's pretty ugly and depressed looking, downtown is dead, it's just flat farmland, and every city in the developed world has "attractive safe family friendly suburbs". That's kind of a given.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:00 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,709,862 times
While St Louis suffers from blight and crime, it's a very unique feeling city with a good arts scene. The eats are good there too.

The other cities in the poll don't "stand out" as much to me.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:46 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post

Toledo was just a bit too small for me to consider. I mean, in terms of total population, it's not really that much smaller than Pittsburgh, and larger than Buffalo and Rochester by a good bit. But it anchors a very small metro area of only 600,000 - Toledo has pretty broad city limits for a rust belt city. Akron actually has a bigger metro area than Toledo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I'm not sure Rochester or Cincy should be on this list. They weren't ever big heavy industry type cities.

You should probably drop those two cities and add Chicago, maybe, and/or Toledo? They were both heavy industry cities, but maybe Chicago is too big and Toledo too small for the list.
Rochester was maybe iffy, but there's no way Cinci isn't rust belt, even if it wasn't heavy industry in the same way.

Chicago I consider a partially recovered rust belt city. Even if it wasn't, it's too different in scale from the other cities to compare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City