U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which CSA feels larger?
Chicagoland 136 81.44%
DC/Baltimore 24 14.37%
They feel equal 7 4.19%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 12:26 PM

1,078 posts, read 894,310 times

Advertisements

That's just his opinion on Chicago's laggard growth, I agree he was a bit harsh on Chicago but it's becoming apparent that the current third largest city/metro in our nation is looking at a bleak future of 5th place perhaps on all metrics population/GDP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 12:28 PM

3,919 posts, read 5,040,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
No, Chicago's growth is pathetic. It has a population base of 10 million people, just off natural increase it should be getting more than 10,000 people per year but it doesn't. It isn't even like Chicagoland is an aged place, median age is 35.2, which for a major city is really good and the fertility rate for the 15 largest places in the country is really good for Chicago. It's immigration is declining substantially and it is not like it is an expensive place like the San Francisco Bay Area or Washington DC-Baltimore.

All around pathetic growth for Chicago. Absolutely pathetic. The civic leaders of Chicago and its suburbs should be embarassed, the growth is godawful. The only thing they can say is they're not declining.

It doesn't deserve to be third anymore, by economy it already gets shoved down to its rightful place of 5th as both San Francisco Bay Area and Washington DC-Baltimore, despite being smaller places, are richer, more important, and frankly just better than Chicago.
Hmm, not enough pejorative terms, sweeping generalizations, and nebulous phrases such as "frankly just better."

Old 07-21-2015, 12:31 PM

1,323 posts, read 675,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Maybe that's the solution to the "LA problem": Give LA a franchise and add a second team in Chicago. It would even out the imbalance that would exist by just adding a LA team. On the other hand, it would be tough to get any one in the Chicago area to root for a team other than the Bears.
Who would win Ditka or a hurricane, but what if that hurricane was named Hurricane Ditka?

Old 07-21-2015, 12:49 PM

2,045 posts, read 2,490,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Hmm, not enough pejorative terms, sweeping generalizations, and nebulous phrases such as "frankly just better."
I've already chalked that guy up as a passive aggressive hater/troll. I need to engage the IGNORE FUNCTION!

Old 07-21-2015, 03:34 PM

11,015 posts, read 21,568,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
The city and metro aren't growing at the moment, but I'm not going to get super emotional about it and write the place off. Every city has its swings up and down. I'd rather look at the problems and work towards the future than freak out about rankings. My boyfriend and I each moved here with nothing but a degree and a few hundred dollars and this city has been great to us. Up to $300,000 in household income by age 30, great friends, awesome condo....I absolutely love this city and the ammenities it has, the restaurants, the fact we don't need to own a car, the parks, lakefront, downtown, etc. To each his own. Any place can be either a blessing or a curse. I couldn't imagine my life being as good as it is today, and I'm very appreciative and greatful for that. I fully understand that most people don't get to enjoy that in their lives. Chicago was a gamble back when I was 22 years old, but it was an amazing journey and a great gamble. It has tons of problems, but it also has even more positives.

There are plenty of cities I'm not a huge fan of, but I certainly don't blame the people for living there. I wouldn't bash and spit disgust at their choices and their city or how fast it's growing, how big it is, how it ranks. Every city exists for a reason, and people love or hate those cities for their own reasons - but it's their reasons. Don't judge.

Given the nature of the words used, "embarrassing", "horrendous", "pathetic" and "doesnt' deserve" obviously says a lot more about the person writing the paragraph than it does about the city in question.

Last edited by Chicago60614; 07-21-2015 at 03:50 PM..

Old 07-21-2015, 04:43 PM

Sounds more like he struck a nerve lol, truth hurts.

Old 07-21-2015, 04:52 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,899,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
Sounds more like he struck a nerve lol, truth hurts.
Sometimes, someone's bias renders their opinions irrelevant. There are a few on this forum, that fit into that category.

Old 07-21-2015, 05:09 PM

387 posts, read 253,150 times
DC feels like a very compact city manageable city.....Where as Chicago is both very tall (huge skyscrapers) and massive in scope....Both are big enough to keep anyone entertained, but DC feels much smaller and less engulfing than Chicago...I love them both about the same (or maybe a tiny edge to Chicago) but they are on different levels in size...

NYC is another world...

Old 07-21-2015, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Sometimes, someone's bias renders their opinions irrelevant. There are a few on this forum, that fit into that category.
I do agree that his post read of distaste for Chicago, however his data was eye opening.

Old 07-21-2015, 05:45 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,899,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
I do agree that his post read of distaste for Chicago, however his data was eye opening.
Wow, really? I saw a population gain, and nothing terribly horrendous. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or