U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which CSA feels larger?
Chicagoland 136 81.44%
DC/Baltimore 24 14.37%
They feel equal 7 4.19%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 12:44 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,458 posts, read 2,998,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
When it comes to Baltimore only being used when it benefits DC, and shunned when it isn't is absolutely correct. The same people that use Baltimore to inflate DC's numbers are the same ones in the Baltimore forum trashing the city like typical, uninformed out-of-towners. Living in Baltimore, I don't feel I'm in the DC area; when I'm in DC, I don't feel like I'm in the Baltimore area. IMHO,the Baltimore and DC connection feels like a smaller version of the NYC-Philly connection: two large, unique, separate cities in close proximity to one another.
Lol no one in DC cares about Baltimore and vice versa, Baltimore does not anything to pad "DC's numbers" other than CSA population and CSA GDP. I don't care about population. In every other metric DC over powers Baltimore in this region. As someone has already stated the DC MSA alone, though smaller than Chicago, holds more than its own and quite frankly outshines the city and metro of Chicago without including anything related to Baltimore. This a testament to both how strong DC as its own stand alone metro and how Chicago has began to lag behind places like DC and SF over the most recent years.

As a whole though, when my family and friends visit from the Midwest or other parts of the country even they see the DC/Balt region as more or less a dual city region, each with their own separate amenities but close enough to each other to be brother and sister.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 01:42 PM

589 posts, read 583,206 times
i cant stand the CSA statics. i dont even know what the Chicago csa is, so im going to go with metros

to me, Chicago's metro feels bigger area wise than New York, but New York's is denser even in the further out suburbs, mostly due to the demographics of the eastern US.

Old 07-23-2015, 02:04 PM

7,245 posts, read 5,534,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Lol no one in DC cares about Baltimore and vice versa, Baltimore does not anything to pad "DC's numbers" other than CSA population and CSA GDP. I don't care about population. In every other metric DC over powers Baltimore in this region. As someone has already stated the DC MSA alone, though smaller than Chicago, holds more than its own and quite frankly outshines the city and metro of Chicago without including anything related to Baltimore. This a testament to both how strong DC as its own stand alone metro and how Chicago has began to lag behind places like DC and SF over the most recent years.

As a whole though, when my family and friends visit from the Midwest or other parts of the country even they see the DC/Balt region as more or less a dual city region, each with their own separate amenities but close enough to each other to be brother and sister.
Your first sentence is untrue. There are Wa****onians regularly making negative comments in the Baltimore forum.

Old 07-23-2015, 02:10 PM

3,918 posts, read 5,040,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Your first sentence is untrue. There are Wa****onians regularly making negative comments in the Baltimore forum.
I think the poster's 3rd and 4th sentences are untrue, too (i.e., DC MSA alone outshining/outcompeting Chicago and its MSA.)

Old 07-23-2015, 02:46 PM

11,015 posts, read 21,568,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ambitious View Post
Any stats on what kind of people Chicago is losing? Is it losing lower wage workers and gaining young professionals? Is it the opposite?
The city lost 200,000 people during the 2000's. The breakdown by age:

0-17: -138,211 (69% of the decline)
18-64: -41,328 (20% of the decline)
65+: -20,858

Children and the elderly were roughly 80% of the population decline

Breaking it down further:

Black kids under the age 19: -115,000
Elderly white people: -50,000
Whites age 20-34: +45,000
Whites under age 5: +10,000

The biggest movers:

The population of black children crashed, making up well over 50% of the overall decline with that one specific group itself

The population of elderly white people shrunk by 50,000, replaced by a roughly equal gain in white people in their 20's and early 30's.

Hispanics had a general decrease in the younger generations, and in increase in the older generations

The adult population of whites was fairly stable, with the population of white children gaining for the first time in decades

Given the demographics of the changes, the declines were overly represented in the poorest segments of the city. The city tore down and displaced 200,000 people from the projects, which were all but gone between 2000 and 2010. That alone is explained in the sharp decline in the black population, declining 180,000 out of a total city decline of 200,000.

Old 07-23-2015, 02:57 PM

2,380 posts, read 1,215,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
I think the poster's 3rd and 4th sentences are untrue, too (i.e., DC MSA alone outshining/outcompeting Chicago and its MSA.)
I've never heard anyone say that DC outshines Chicago in "ever area," and I am from the DC area and love DC and Chicago. Chicago MSA has a higher GDP than DC MSA; Chicago has a bigger and more impressive downtown; Chicago has more neighborhoods; Chicago has better food; Chicago is more diverse....Chicago outshines DC in "every area".

Old 07-23-2015, 03:19 PM

21,945 posts, read 30,803,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownWonder View Post
i cant stand the CSA statics. i dont even know what the Chicago csa is, so im going to go with metros

to me, Chicago's metro feels bigger area wise than New York, but New York's is denser even in the further out suburbs, mostly due to the demographics of the eastern US.
not sure I can totally agree here, there is more seperation with LI isolated and CT and NJ somehwat disjointed but not sure can agree here, the next set of counties excluding NYC itself has the population of basically the whole Chicago metro including the city. More peaks and valleys in density but very large are and population wise. Chicago has sort of the flat grid extension which is different then the construct around NYC but NYC is really that massive. LA sort of takes that flat grid one step further in this sense.

Honestly and I love Chicago - the burbs there would kill me, I like the NE or Cali burb better in comparison even if much different constructs (the Cali ones have beaches )

Old 07-23-2015, 03:24 PM

21,945 posts, read 30,803,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post

outside of city geeks I dont think anyone really looks at the CSA as relevant and most people I know dont look at DC and Baltimore as the same region more just close

Also Chciago is not as much lagging as the economies of DC and SF are going crazy - nothing last forever and those trajectories cant either long term

and Chicago (and SF to me) are both larger and more impressive fellings as cities - though i really like DC definately among my top cities in the country. to me Chicago and SF are ahead on ize nd feel to me and both more impressive urban places to me personally

that said DC is pretty cool as well and has some great attributes and awesome neighborhoods

Old 07-23-2015, 03:53 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,112,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
not sure I can totally agree here, there is more seperation with LI isolated and CT and NJ somehwat disjointed but not sure can agree here, the next set of counties excluding NYC itself has the population of basically the whole Chicago metro including the city. More peaks and valleys in density but very large are and population wise. Chicago has sort of the flat grid extension which is different then the construct around NYC but NYC is really that massive. LA sort of takes that flat grid one step further in this sense.

Honestly and I love Chicago - the burbs there would kill me, I like the NE or Cali burb better in comparison even if much different constructs (the Cali ones have beaches )
Historically, this was the smallest gap between NYC and Chicago in city population during 1890 before Brooklyn was annexed. It would be interesting to see what Chicago would be today had it continued it's growth rate (never dropping in population) beyond it's first population drop in 1960. Chicago 4-5 million?? Detroit 3 million?

1890 census

1. NYC - 1,515,301

2. Chicago - 1,099,850 (2nd city to surpass the 1,2 and 3 million mark)

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larges...by_decade#1790

Old 07-23-2015, 04:32 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,458 posts, read 2,998,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I've never heard anyone say that DC outshines Chicago in "ever area," and I am from the DC area and love DC and Chicago. Chicago MSA has a higher GDP than DC MSA; Chicago has a bigger and more impressive downtown; Chicago has more neighborhoods; Chicago has better food; Chicago is more diverse....Chicago outshines DC in "every area".
I'm saying for a city of its size you can argue Chicago punches at or below its weight, DC metro punches well above its weight for its size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or