U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which CSA feels larger?
Chicagoland 136 81.44%
DC/Baltimore 24 14.37%
They feel equal 7 4.19%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 04:33 PM

22,300 posts, read 31,996,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Historically, this was the smallest gap between NYC and Chicago in city population during 1890 before Brooklyn was annexed. It would be interesting to see what Chicago would be today had it continued it's growth rate (never dropping in population) beyond it's first population drop in 1960. Chicago 4-5 million?? Detroit 3 million?

1890 census

1. NYC - 1,515,301

2. Chicago - 1,099,850 (2nd city to surpass the 1,2 and 3 million mark)

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larges...by_decade#1790

What is crazy about 1880 to 1890 is that Chicago doubled in size basically and passed Philadelphia also then grew by 50% the next decade- it added one million people in 20 years at a time when that was crazy

also Philadelphia was actually the same population in 1910 as it was in 2010

also crazy when I look at these that Detroit reached almost 2 million in 1950, only really 60 years ago
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 04:38 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,920 posts, read 3,399,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Your first sentence is untrue. There are Wa****onians regularly making negative comments in the Baltimore forum.
Just because we laugh at you doesn't mean we care

Old 07-23-2015, 04:43 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,920 posts, read 3,399,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
outside of city geeks I dont think anyone really looks at the CSA as relevant and most people I know dont look at DC and Baltimore as the same region more just close

Also Chciago is not as much lagging as the economies of DC and SF are going crazy - nothing last forever and those trajectories cant either long term

and Chicago (and SF to me) are both larger and more impressive fellings as cities - though i really like DC definately among my top cities in the country. to me Chicago and SF are ahead on ize nd feel to me and both more impressive urban places to me personally

that said DC is pretty cool as well and has some great attributes and awesome neighborhoods
I actually have encountered the opposite outside of city geeks I've literally heard people say "Oh DC-Baltimore its the same thing." And I quickly had to jump in and tell them HECK NO, we're like worlds apart just next to each other. It's on C-D where the distinction is made clearer.

The national capitol and the tech capitol are not going anywhere so I'd imagine they both continue to gain ground on Chicago in the coming decades.

Old 07-23-2015, 04:47 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,238,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
What is crazy about 1880 to 1890 is that Chicago doubled in size basically and passed Philadelphia also then grew by 50% the next decade- it added one million people in 20 years at a time when that was crazy

also Philadelphia was actually the same population in 1910 as it was in 2010

also crazy when I look at these that Detroit reached almost 2 million in 1950, only really 60 years ago
What's also crazy is that Baltimore was briefly the nation's 2nd largest city between 1830 - 1860 but never peaked above the 1 million mark. Eventually Philly reclaimed the 2nd spot in according to the 1860 census. I have wondered how it passed Philly to begin with and then fall behind. Unless Philly annexed more land.

Old 07-23-2015, 05:53 PM

22,300 posts, read 31,996,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
What's also crazy is that Baltimore was briefly the nation's 2nd largest city between 1830 - 1860 but never peaked above the 1 million mark. Eventually Philly reclaimed the 2nd spot in according to the 1860 census. I have wondered how it passed Philly to begin with and then fall behind. Unless Philly annexed more land.

yes but at that time Northern Liberties and Southwark were seperate cities, now some consider CC but yes technically it was

This is Northern liberties today looking back to CC for perspective

http://phillyskyline.com/misc/wallpa...twohancock.jpg

And Southwark looking back

http://www.centercityrealestate.com/...yline-view.jpg

Also the density of CC was twice what it is today at the time (only 1.4 sq miles at the time actually) Northern Liberties and Southwark combined were larger than all cities except NYC, Baltimore, and Boston at the time excluding what was Philadelphia

Also a little side trivia note - the measurements for the Mason Dixon line were started at the border of Philadelphia and Southwark by two folks from Southwark (Queen Village) their (Mason and Dixon) measurments started at the intersection of 2nd and South Street - Thier office was at the corner of Christian and 2nd in the Queen Village neighborhood of Southwark (which is about 1/4 of the present day South Philly in total - these cities were small area wise. Spring Garden (4 blocks north of present Day City Hall) and U City were seperate entities that also made the top ten or twnty around this time

Last edited by kidphilly; 07-23-2015 at 06:02 PM..

Old 07-23-2015, 06:50 PM

6,212 posts, read 7,346,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Having never been to Chicago, I'd assume it feels larger for the obvious reasons, and I agree that DC and Baltimore don't "feel" like one region; if you are from or familiar with the area, you can notice the change from one metro to the next. All that said, I'm not sure that they shouldn't just be considered one massive MSA, because I also agree that the two areas blend into each other and on a large scale, share much of the same events, entertainment and cultural offerings. Screw that, though:

The real thing that needs to be debated is how Washington and San Francisco are closing the gap on Chicago (and Los Angeles). It's undeniable that Chi/LA are closer to the next tier of cities (which in my opinion is only DC and SF) than they are to NY. I agree that it almost seems as if Chicago has already peaked as a city. Washington has been undergoing a renaissance over the last decade that shows no signs of slowing, and in most categories, can already fight toe to toe with Chicago (education; gdp is smaller but it is a smaller city; the economy is stronger because there's more money in DC per capita; arts---fine, visual, performing, music; quality of life in terms of gentrification and amenities; this list can go on and on). So where does Chicago have a clear advantage over DC? On what metrics?

So size differences notwithstanding, if DC is potentially on bumping Chicago in the next quarter century (very possibly sooner than that), if DC can fight Chi by itself, then a comparison of DC AND Baltimore versus Chicago, like in this thread, should be a no brainier that Washington-Baltimore are the stronger region. I do think that Chicago (and LA) are still firmly the number 2 & 3 cities in the nation, in any order, but Frisco and DC are playing catch up in a huge way and deserve more credit than they receive on this board. Chicago and LA are not so stable or so far ahead that we can assumedly project they'll keep that Second/Third City status forever, or even in the next 25 years...
This.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Your first sentence is untrue. There are Wa****onians regularly making negative comments in the Baltimore forum.
Wishful thinking from a Baltimoron.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:02 PM

7,702 posts, read 6,066,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Wishful thinking from a Baltimoron.
Glad you showed up since you were one of the people that I was referring to. I can pull up your post history in case you've suddenly come down with a case of amnesia.

Thinking of moving to Baltimore "just because"?
How come there isn't a Ben's Chili Bowl in Baltimore?

Should I keep going?

Last edited by KodeBlue; 07-23-2015 at 07:32 PM..

Old 07-23-2015, 07:15 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,337,129 times
Anyone who lives in the DC metro area knows that the counties in MD outside of DC do not like to be even mentioned in the same sentence as the Baltimore metro area. That's just the way it's always been.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Anyone who lives in the DC metro area knows that the counties in MD outside of DC do not like to be even mentioned in the same sentence as the Baltimore metro area. That's just the way it's always been.
Precisely. A lot of us would sooner identify with the Eastern Shore before we identify with Baltimore lol. Most of us here in the Maryland side of Suburban DC either dislike Bmore strongly, have a neutral opinion of it, or don't much care for it and view as the other city that's "just there" in our backyard. To me, it's an okay city with some pretty interesting and cool things and great architecture but overall, there's a lot about it that I don't really care for...I'm not really alone in this sentiment either, both on this board and in real life as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or