Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2015, 02:06 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,100,336 times

Advertisements

The Bay is hurt by being in a state that is a tier above other states. LA's CSA is more than twice as large as The Bay's. That kind of size disparity is hard to overcome. LA would have to be a backwater with relatively little commerce, entertainment or culture to give the Bay the nod. LA is none of these things. For the state of California, LA is the first city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 02:11 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
This is an extremely diplomatic way of saying San Francisco really isnt "second" to Los Angeles as far as primacy in California, and I tend to agree.

Yes, Los Angeles is far larger with 18 million people.

Yes, Los Angeles has a $1 Trillion economy.

Yes, Los Angeles is one of the most powerful media capitals in the world.

Yes on all counts.

But the Bay Area is the undisputed tech capital of the world.

And San Francisco is one of the most important financial centers in the world.

And like Los Angeles, San Francisco is a major international destination that has its own reputation and image around the world.

So it might not be as cut and dry as some might think.
I think those things make it cut-and-dry; it just so happens that the second-largest city/region in the state is also very high profile, just not quite at the level of the Alpha city.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:09 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think those things make it cut-and-dry; it just so happens that the second-largest city/region in the state is also very high profile, just not quite at the level of the Alpha city.
I agree. LA is definitely number one in California.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:23 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Except California has 2 alpha cities-literally.
Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, Los Angeles' primacy literally ends north of the Kern county line.

So that leaves 100,000 sq miles and 15 Million Californians who unequivocally refer to San Francisco as "The City"...

So while I appreciate largely uninformed, out-of-state guessing, really, for California, it's not cut and dry.

Last edited by 18Montclair; 04-15-2015 at 05:05 PM..

Old 04-15-2015, 04:40 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Except California has 2 alpha cities-literally.
Global city - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, Los Angeles' primacy literally ends north of the Kern county line.

So that leaves 100,000 sq miles and 15 Million Californians who inequivocally refer to San Francisco as "The City"...

So while I appreciate largely uninformed, out-of-state guessing, really, for California, it's not cut and dry.
I wasn't using "Alpha city" in a technical, GaWC sense, but in the sense of being top dog in the state. That's clearly Los Angeles and it's pretty cut and dried; the difference is that they are two very powerful cities in their own right but one still comes out ahead; there's nothing "uninformed" about that, nor is it guesswork. Me not living in California also has nothing to do with it.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:07 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Umm San Francisco cannot be #2 at anything, at the very least we are tied for #1. Even as far as the nation is concerned, NYC may be bigger but per capita we are richer with more gazllionaires per capita, and wayyy prettier! Get it straight bro!

Old 04-15-2015, 05:09 PM

1,709 posts, read 2,166,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Umm San Francisco cannot be #2 at anything, at the very least we are tied for #1. Get it straight bro!
Umm sorry bro, but LA is bigger, richer, more productive, and more famous than San Francisco. Not knocking on SF, it's a world class city, but LA is just even more so of one.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:26 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
The Bay is hurt by being in a state that is a tier above other states
Oh, and why is California a tier above other states, sherlock?

Answer: Because there are 2 bonafide world cities that are both immensely powerful.

duh.

Quote:
LA's CSA is more than twice as large as The Bay's. That kind of size disparity is hard to overcome.
and yet I still feel LA is struggling to keep pace...

2013 GDP
Los Angeles CSA $999 Billion
Bay Area CSA $667 Billion

The Bay Area is an economic beast that actually employs twice as many Californians from outside its borders than LA does.

That's an extremely telling commentary.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:30 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,806,830 times
San Francisco would be #1 in 48 states. It just happens to be one of the two states that has a city that is above it.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:37 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,404,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
San Francisco would be #1 in 48 states. It just happens to be one of the two states that has a city that is above it.
What about Illinois?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City