U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-12-2015, 10:26 PM
 
Location: The Dirty South.
1,567 posts, read 1,320,243 times
Reputation: 1087

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Dallas is Texas' SECOND city? Really? I know Austin is "hot and trendy" right now, San Antonio is the most tourist friendly, and Houston is the biggest, but Dallas is still the first city that comes to mind for most people all over the world when they think of Texas...
In some countries such as england and france Dallas is most popular in other countries like the Philippines and the middle east Houston is more popular. A friend from Saipan island thought Houston was the capital of Texas when he came. So it varies.

 
Old 04-12-2015, 10:46 PM
 
2,036 posts, read 1,451,894 times
Reputation: 3049
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
In some countries such as england and france Dallas is most popular in other countries like the Philippines and the middle east Houston is more popular. A friend from Saipan island thought Houston was the capital of Texas when he came. So it varies.
Yeah, but I don't think most of the Americans who are ranking Dallas as Texas' second city have Houston in mind as Texas' first city.

Out of Dallas/Fort Worth, Austin, San Antonio, and Houston, Houston probably gets the least national media attention out of all the big Texas cities these days, even though it's the biggest city.
 
Old 04-12-2015, 10:53 PM
 
Location: Houston
6,846 posts, read 12,442,919 times
Reputation: 5773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Yeah, but I don't think most of the Americans who are ranking Dallas as Texas' second city have Houston in mind as Texas' first city.

Out of Dallas/Fort Worth, Austin, San Antonio, and Houston, Houston probably gets the least national media attention out of all the big Texas cities these days.
That's true. We usually only get national attention when a hurricane is threatening the coast and that doesn't happen very often.

Dallas doesn't get much attention either but it did get a lot of coverage during the Ebola scare but I'm not sure that's a good thing.

Austin gets a lot of attention for South by Southwest so I think they win for the state.

San Antonio doesn't get any national attention.
 
Old 04-12-2015, 11:05 PM
 
Location: Mishawaka, Indiana
6,266 posts, read 8,430,874 times
Reputation: 4693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Dallas is Texas' SECOND city? Really? I know Austin is "hot and trendy" right now, San Antonio is the most tourist friendly, and Houston is the biggest, but Dallas is still the first city that comes to mind for most people all over the world when they think of Texas...
Houston, we have a problem...we are no longer number 1 according to Mentallect.
 
Old 04-12-2015, 11:32 PM
 
2,036 posts, read 1,451,894 times
Reputation: 3049
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
That's true. We usually only get national attention when a hurricane is threatening the coast and that doesn't happen very often.

Dallas doesn't get much attention either but it did get a lot of coverage during the Ebola scare but I'm not sure that's a good thing.

Austin gets a lot of attention for South by Southwest so I think they win for the state.

San Antonio doesn't get any national attention.
Not trying to turn this into a Texas thread, but let's look at each one:

Dallas: Is still the Texas city that most TV shows and movies choose as a filming location, is known for its glitz and for some of the best shopping in the nation, has a nationally known nickname with "The Big D," still known around the world for the 80's TV show and as the place where JFK was assassinated, gets the most companies and businesses relocating to its metro, and has three pro teams that have all won world Championships in recent years with the Cowboys, Mavericks, and Rangers. Hell, as much as I hate them, the popularity of the Cowboys alone puts Dallas ahead of most other Texas cities as the city people around the country think of first when they think Texas. Throw Fort Worth into the mix and you've got the whole western cowboy image that comes to most people's minds when they think Texas. That's A LOT.

Austin: The current media darling of Texas. Has taken a lot of media attention from Dallas in recent years, but still not known for as much as Dallas is. Mostly known for its music and bar scene, for being a college and hipster town, and as the city where the quintessential Texas BBQ is found.

San Antonio: Is the most tourist visited city in Texas, with nationally famous attractions like The Alamo, The Riverwalk, and a Sea World and a Six Flags. The Alamo alone is one of the first things that jumps to people's minds when they think Texas, and it's in San Antonio. Also home to the World Champion San Antonio Spurs, who have won several championships in the past couple of decades, including just last year, and could very possibly win it again this year. Also known as a big military city.

Houston: Like you said, it really only gets national attention when the rare hurricane threatens the coast. It's sports teams haven't won anything or gotten much national attention in decades. I guess one could say oil, but that's generic enough to most people that they would just think of Texas in general when it comes to oil, and not Houston specifically. A lot of people outside of Texas don't even know Houston is as large or as diverse as it is, so many aren't even aware that it's the biggest city in Texas, because they never hear anything about it. So how would Houston be the number one city in Texas to the casual person outside of Texas? Not knocking or trying to pit one city against the other, but just saying, since it ties into what the thread is all about...

Last edited by Tex Luthor; 04-12-2015 at 11:59 PM..
 
Old 04-13-2015, 12:10 AM
 
Location: Trumpville
7,256 posts, read 3,331,005 times
Reputation: 6311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Yeah, but I don't think most of the Americans who are ranking Dallas as Texas' second city have Houston in mind as Texas' first city.
I ranked Dallas as Texas' second city, assuming Houston was its first. I rank Texas like this:

1. Houston
2. Dallas
3. Austin
4. San Antonio
5. El Paso

I don't understand how people are saying Austin is first in Texas. Austin is awesome and is a media darling, but its a different level of city than Dallas and Houston. It has a firm place as Texas' third city.

Last edited by bawac34618; 04-13-2015 at 12:38 AM..
 
Old 04-13-2015, 12:14 AM
Status: "waite untill next year. It was fun while it lasted !" (set 29 days ago)
 
Location: Beautiful Northwest Houston
4,675 posts, read 4,523,979 times
Reputation: 3856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Not trying to turn this into a Texas thread, but let's look at each one:

Dallas: Is still the Texas city that most TV shows and movies choose as a filming location, is known for its glitz and for some of the best shopping in the nation, has a nationally known nickname with "The Big D," still known around the world for the 80's TV show and as the place where JFK was assassinated, gets the most companies and businesses relocating to its metro, and has three pro teams that have all won world Championships in recent years with the Cowboys, Mavericks, and Rangers. Hell, as much as I hate them, the popularity of the Cowboys alone puts Dallas ahead of most other Texas cities as the city people around the country think of first when they think Texas. Throw Fort Worth into the mix and you've got the whole western cowboy image that comes to most people's minds when they think Texas. That's A LOT.

Austin: The current media darling of Texas. Has taken a lot of media attention from Dallas in recent years, but still not known for as much as Dallas is. Mostly known for its music and bar scene, for being a college and hipster town, and as the city where the quintessential Texas BBQ is found.

San Antonio: Is the most tourist visited city in Texas, with nationally famous attractions like The Alamo, The Riverwalk, and a Sea World and a Six Flags. The Alamo alone is one of the first things that jumps to people's minds when they think Texas, and it's in San Antonio. Also home to the World Champion San Antonio Spurs, who have won several championships in the past couple of decades, including just last year, and could very possibly win it again this year. Also known as a big military city.

Houston: Like you said, it really only gets national attention when the rare hurricane threatens the coast. It's sports teams haven't won anything or gotten much national attention in decades. I guess one could say oil, but that's generic enough to most people that they would just think of Texas in general when it comes to oil, and not Houston specifically. A lot of people outside of Texas don't even know Houston is as large or as diverse as it is, so many aren't even aware that it's the biggest city in Texas, because they never hear anything about it. So how would Houston be the number one city in Texas to the casual person outside of Texas? Not knocking or trying to pit one city against the other, but just saying, since it ties into what the thread is all about...
First of all the Rangers have NOT won any world championships. As far as the OP is concerned you are confusing most notoriety with most important and they are not the same. Economically and historically Houston is the more important if not best known city in all of Texas. As you have inferred media attention is cyclical and moves around from time to time. The attention on Austin will fade just as the attention on DFW faded as did the attention that Houston has received from time to time over the last 180 years or so. You also do not take into account that maybe Houston just doesn't seek the attention and validation that DFW and Austin does from the national media...
 
Old 04-13-2015, 12:25 AM
 
Location: Sin City
241 posts, read 357,383 times
Reputation: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Connecticut - New Haven
Delaware - Dover
Hawaii - Hilo
Idaho - Coeur d'Alene
Indiana - South Bend
Maine - Bangor
Maryland - Annapolis
Massachusetts - Springfield
Montana - Missoula
New Hampshire - Nashua
New Jersey - Atlantic City
New York - Buffalo
North Dakota - Bismark
Oregon - Eugene
Rhode Island - Newport
South Dakota - Rapid City
Utah - St. George
Vermont - Rutland
Washington - Spokane
West Virginia - Huntington
Wisconsin - Madison
Wyoming - Casper



Going to have to disagree here, I think Savannah has a whole lot more notoriety.
You're wrong about NJ. Atlantic City is not much of a player in the state. You could make a much stronger case for Jersey City or Trenton.
 
Old 04-13-2015, 12:27 AM
 
Location: Nashville, TN
4,327 posts, read 3,402,594 times
Reputation: 3046
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Definitely agree Birmingham is the premier city in Alabama, think Mobile easily takes number 2. Number 3 spot is tricky, Huntsville has a TON of federal money poured into it from the Space Program presence there, a lot of high tech jobs and highly educated workforce in that city. Montgomer, aside from being a decent sized city and the state capital doesn't have as much going for it. Think it might be underrated nationally, but it's hard pressed for 3rd with Huntsville, especially at the rate Huntsville is expanding.
I disagree based on economics. Huntsville has the larger GDP at 22 billion to Mobile's 16 billion. Huntsville is also the second largest metro area, and is growing significantly faster as well. Huntsville is Alabama's second city.
 
Old 04-13-2015, 12:52 AM
 
Location: Earth
1,284 posts, read 1,185,130 times
Reputation: 1400
New Jersey is a tough state to pick a number 2, mostly because it's hard to pick a number 1.

Newark is the largest city and JC is the second, but they're all part of the NYC metro area. You could look at SW Jersey, but much of that is part of the Philly area. If we can take Philly and NYC out of the picture, I'd argue that Hudson County is number 1 and second could be Bergen or Essex Counties or Trenton (city).

I recognize that I'm citing counties and cities, but it seems to be the only way to make this classification in the state
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top