Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2015, 05:14 PM

1,032 posts, read 1,085,271 times

Advertisements

If Houston and Dallas are that close, can any one of them really be considered a second city to the other? Second city to me means clearly a level below first. The Bay Area is clearly the second city in California which ironically enough is one of only 2 states in the country where The Bay would be second city. Baltimore is clearly a level below DC but within the geographic limits of the state of Maryland, Baltimore and the DC burbs are close enough that neither one plays second to the other within the state. I think Texas should do a 1 and 1a with Dallas and Houston and then try to figure out the third city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 05:18 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,733,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
If Houston and Dallas are that close, can any one of them really be considered a second city to the other? Second city to me means clearly a level below first. The Bay Area is clearly the second city in California which ironically enough is one of only 2 states in the country where The Bay would be second city. Baltimore is clearly a level below DC but within the geographic limits of the state of Maryland, Baltimore and the DC burbs are close enough that neither one plays second to the other within the state. I think Texas should do a 1 and 1a with Dallas and Houston and then try to figure out the third city.
But the fact of the matter is that Dallas and Houston aren't that close. Dallas needs Fort Worth in order to go toe to toe with Houston alone. Let's also look at the fact that Houston has been a larger and more important city for a longer time. Texas won its independence in the shadows of the Houston area. The state's oil heritage also saw its beginnings in Southeast Texas. And, as Jack pointed out, it serves as Texas' true gateway to the world.

So like I said, it's painfully clear which town is the Gotham of Texas.

Last edited by Gunion Powder; 04-13-2015 at 05:26 PM..

Old 04-13-2015, 06:05 PM

4,982 posts, read 9,045,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I disagree based on economics. Huntsville has the larger GDP at 22 billion to Mobile's 16 billion. Huntsville is also the second largest metro area, and is growing significantly faster as well. Huntsville is Alabama's second city.
Huntsville feels smaller than both Mobile and Montgomery it lacks a cohesive urban center. Mobile`s metro and economy is based off of one county while Huntsville is 2 counties. Baldwin is on track to being added back to the Mobile metro commuting patterns have picked back up.

Old 04-13-2015, 07:38 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,782,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogoesthere View Post
I actually agree with this. Houston and Dallas both seem like similar size and importance cities within the state. Houston has the Ship Channel. Dallas has the big airport. Houston has the rodeo. Dallas has the state fair. Both cities pack a big punch in the state. I'd say Austin takes the next spot as it's the capital and it has a reputation for being unique within the state.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:44 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,733,547 times
Houston is the only one of the two that even existed when Texas was its own country. It even served as a capital for a short period of time. Dallas wasn't founded until after Texas became a state. If that doesn't tell you which city has the advantage in importance I don't know what will.

City Data posters assign entirely too much importance to what the general public thinks. It doesn't make sense to say the cities are close simply because Dallas has gravitated towards the limelight while Houston has largely avoided it.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:01 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,018,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Houston is the only one of the two that even existed when Texas was its own country. It even served as a capital for a short period of time. Dallas wasn't founded until after Texas became a state. If that doesn't tell you which city has the advantage in importance I don't know what will.

City Data posters assign entirely too much importance to what the general public thinks. It doesn't make sense to say the cities are close simply because Dallas has gravitated towards the limelight while Houston has largely avoided it.
Well from a pure history standpoint San Antonio is the historic city in Texas. But I think from a economically stand point Houston is the leader in Texas.

Old 04-13-2015, 09:14 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,919,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Huntsville feels smaller than both Mobile and Montgomery it lacks a cohesive urban center. Mobile`s metro and economy is based off of one county while Huntsville is 2 counties. Baldwin is on track to being added back to the Mobile metro commuting patterns have picked back up.
I agree. Mobile has the downtown and feel to be Alabama's #2.
Even the license plates will tell you that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
Well from a pure history standpoint San Antonio is the historic city in Texas. But I think from a economically stand point Houston is the leader in Texas.
I agree. Houston, by itself, is the BIG Texas #1. Dallas by itself does not. The metro includes Fort Worth and is about the size of Houston with both Dallas and Fort Worth combined, but not Dallas by itself.

#2 with honors goes to Dallas. (NOT Dallas-Fort Worth )

Old 04-13-2015, 09:24 PM

Here is my list of #2s:

Alabama - Mobile
Alaska - Fairbanks
Arizona - Tucson
Arkansas - Fayetteville
California - San Francisco
Colorado - Colorado Springs
Florida - Orlando
Georgia - Savannah
Illinois - Rockford
Kansas - Kansas City (just the KS side).. If including the KC metro, Wichita
Kentucky - Lexington
Louisiana - Baton Rouge
Michigan - Grand Rapids
Minnesota - Duluth
Mississippi - Biloxi
Missouri - Kansas City
Nebraska - Lincoln
Nevada - Reno
New Mexico - Santa Fe
New York - Buffalo
North Carolina - Raleigh
Ohio - Cincinnati
Oklahoma - Tulsa
Pennsylvania - Pittsburgh
South Carolina - Columbia
Tennessee - Memphis
Texas - Dallas
Virginia - Richmond
Washington - Spokane

Old 04-13-2015, 09:28 PM

Whoever posted earlier on the first page didn't add these states in for whatever reason in their first post..

Connecticut - New Haven
Delaware - Dover
Hawaii - Hilo
Idaho - Coeur d'Alene
Indiana - Fort Wayne
Maine - Augusta
Maryland - Annapolis
Massachusetts - Springfield
Montana - Missoula
New Hampshire - Manchester
New Jersey - Trenton
North Dakota - Bismarck
Oregon - Eugene
Rhode Island - Newport
South Dakota - Rapid City
Utah - St. George
Vermont - Montpelier
West Virginia - Morgantown
Wisconsin - Madison
Wyoming - Casper

Last edited by WanderingImport; 04-13-2015 at 09:37 PM..

Old 04-13-2015, 11:47 PM

7,048 posts, read 19,200,955 times
Alabama Mobile
Alaska Fairbanks
Arizona Tucson
Arkansas
California SF
Colorado Colorado Springs
Connecticut New Haven
Delaware Newark
Florida Orlando
Georgia Savannah
Hawaii
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas Topeka
Kentucky Lexington
Louisiana BR
Maine Lewiston-Auburn
Maryland Frederick
Massachusetts Cambridge
Michigan GR
Minnesota St Paul
Mississippi Biloxi
Missouri Kansas City
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada North Las Vegas?
New Hampshire Portsmouth
New Jersey Jersey City
New Mexico
New York Buffalo
North Carolina Raleigh
North Dakota
Ohio Cincinnati
Oklahoma Tulsa
Oregon
Pennsylvania Pittsburgh
Rhode Island Newport
South Carolina Columbia
South Dakota
Tennessee Memphis
Texas Dallas
Utah
Vermont Bennington?
Virginia Norfolk
Washington Tacoma?
West Virginia Huntington
Wisconsin Madison
Wyoming
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City