U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2015, 09:49 PM

1,462 posts, read 1,506,920 times

Advertisements

what a bunch of CvC newbs taking sav srsly (she hates where she lives)

Old 04-15-2015, 10:04 PM

15,404 posts, read 24,412,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
what a bunch of CvC newbs taking sav srsly (she hates where she lives)
Look lady, just because I don't constantly boost the Bay Area doesn't mean I hate it; I don't think I've actually ever said I hate it. Not sure why not being a homer means you hate a place.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:10 PM

Oh I guess I got the wrong idea from your posts, I always assumed someone or something was forcing or paying you to live there. I don't care if you like where you live or not though, I just interpret your posts as you being miserable there. A deficiency on my end I suppose.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:17 PM

Oh that's weird because this isn't the first time you've commented on how you assume I feel about and my posts about the Bay Area.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:18 PM

Yeah, I know.

?

Old 04-15-2015, 10:22 PM

Guess I thought you cared...

Old 04-15-2015, 10:24 PM

1,699 posts, read 1,482,534 times
What's up with you passively aggressively calling people ladies, Radical Athiest. Do you think you're a big man? Because no one is buying you're mistaking everyone who criticizes the bay as a lady

Old 04-15-2015, 11:26 PM

886 posts, read 586,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Oh, and why is California a tier above other states, sherlock?

Answer: Because there are 2 bonafide world cities that are both immensely powerful.

duh.

and yet I still feel LA is struggling to keep pace...

2013 GDP
Los Angeles CSA $999 Billion
Bay Area CSA $667 Billion

The Bay Area is an economic beast that actually employs twice as many Californians from outside its borders than LA does.

That's an extremely telling commentary.
Sherlock? LOL...rudeness over such trivial foolishness...that's a shame

Anyway, I have already said in this very thread that The Bay would be second city in only 2 states in the country. The Bay certainly deserves its props. Whether you like it or not, its not the first city in California. Earlier in this thread I put Houston and Dallas-Ft Worth as equals. I cannot do the same for LA and SF. While the Bay has a per capita larger economy, more rich people etc; by your own figures LA still has a 50% larger GDP. Larger GDP, twice as many people, more famous...I mean, California is one of the easier states to pick first and second cities.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:09 AM

6,229 posts, read 8,375,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I like Mobile, too (the waterfront, bay, and general area are very underrated in beauty IMO, but this thread is not about which is more beautiful. We can shoulda, woulda, coulda all day, you can't change what you want to about a city to make it fit your narrative. I wouldn't base my conclusion on a pretty waterfront or taller skyscrapers. Huntsville's metro is larger, has a much higher GDP, and is growing faster.
Actually, I created this thread, so I know exactly what it's about. Each state's "Second City" is not ALWAYS the second largest, the second most productive, or so on. I think in the case of Alabama, Mobile is a very deserving of the title for "2nd City" status, regardless of a slightly smaller metro area.

In the case of Mississippi how many people are calling for Gulfport to be 2nd city? In the case of Georgia, how many people are calling for Columbus to be 2nd city? In the case of Michigan, how many people are calling for Ann Arbor to be 2nd city over Grand Rapids? 2nd city is not always 2nd biggest.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:32 AM

3,629 posts, read 6,125,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I like Mobile, too (the waterfront, bay, and general area are very underrated in beauty IMO, but this thread is not about which is more beautiful. We can shoulda, woulda, coulda all day, you can't change what you want to about a city to make it fit your narrative. I wouldn't base my conclusion on a pretty waterfront or taller skyscrapers. Huntsville's metro is larger, has a much higher GDP, and is growing faster.
Mobile's GDP is at 18 now and Huntsville is at 23.I can't find the article at the moment to back my claim .Huntsville never really passed Mobile metro in population. We lost Baldwin County a couple years back because it fell 1% behind the metro commuting paterns and Baldwin still pretty much feels like it is apart of the Mobile metro that is why this is strongly being pushed I-10 Mobile River Bridge's construction could generate $1.5 billion for Mobile area | AL.com . Mobile still feels more urban , vibrant and larger than Huntsville inspite of there progress.Baldwin County's commuting numbers have increased and if it still was in the Mobile metro then Mobile's metro growth would appear to be faster than Huntsville's because Baldwin County grew at a faster pace than Madison (Huntsville) County. Huntsville's GDP became larger when we lost Baldwin County. Baldwin is 27k shy of being larger than Montgomery County.

Huntsville has a lot going on for it but if you were to spend a day or weekend in both cities then you would know that the numbers don't truely represent how they truely feel.

Biloxi would be 2nd in Missisisipi even though Hattisburg and Meridian are larger.Savannah is second in Georgia even though Augusta has a much larger GDP and metro. Some would even argue that Columbus ,Oh is second.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or