U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2015, 01:00 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,117,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
San Francisco Bay Area is the SECOND most populous in California. San Francisco Bay Area is the SECOND most visited city in California. San Francisco Bay Area is the SECOND most important place in California. No way to quantify cool objectively, so I will leave that alone.
Technically, San Diego is the 2nd most populated city in California after LA But I know we go by metros in here and not by city limits.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:02 PM

1,699 posts, read 1,479,810 times
Quote:
No way to quantify cool objectively, so I will leave that alone.

San Francisco: Second place finish.
Sure but if everything on the list was objective no need to ask us, he could crunch the numbers and rank them.

But while subjective, it's clear LA is cooler to more people anyway. I posted a city list of where expats want to relocate to, LA had 50% or something like that, more people wanting to move there than San Francisco/Bay Area.

If this tech industry keeps churning like it is, maybe in a couple decades SF/Bay will pass LA. But not now, it's still well behind.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:14 PM

933 posts, read 1,644,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambitions View Post
Assuming making these comparisons are based on economy still, the IE doesn't hold back Southern CA at all. If I make comparisons based on GDP between the two regions SoCal wins on every front.

LA>SF Bay Area
San Diego>San Jose
Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario (The IE)>Sacramento

List of U.S. metropolitan areas by GDP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In terms of importance:

SF (banking/finance) > LA (entertainment)
San Jose (tech) > San Diego (military)
Sacramento (government) > IE (manure)

Old 04-20-2015, 01:20 PM

31,575 posts, read 53,103,852 times
Yawns. I need to feel more challenged.

May I direct you all back to the original post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment
Every state has a primary city, the financial
hub, the capital, or the largest city in the
state, be what it may...
Primary City: California has 2 globally ranked Alpha cities. Thats not even up for debate. Tie between LA & SF

Financial Hub: San Francisco.

The Capital: Sacramento.

Largest City: Los Angeles.

So yeah...

Old 04-20-2015, 01:22 PM

6,205 posts, read 8,356,135 times
Quote:
Well that is not what this thread is about. Los Angeles is the premier city of California and the thread is about the SECOND CITIES in each state.

Here is the OP:

I've taken the liberty of underlining the topics the OP wanted us to use to breakdown the arguments. By every single last one of them, San Francisco finishes second in California. It is not debatable.

San Francisco Bay Area is the SECOND most populous in California. San Francisco Bay Area is the SECOND most visited city in California. San Francisco Bay Area is the SECOND most important place in California. No way to quantify cool objectively, so I will leave that alone.

San Francisco: Second place finish.
Thanks for referring to my parameters! I'm surprised this one is so hard. You'd be hard pressed to make an argument that Los Angeles is California's "Second City". San Francisco deservedly gets the runner up title in the great state of California and is still a large player on the national scale, not sure why people are so dismayed about this, it's not as if San Francisco is soon to be challenged for "Second City" status in California or anything.

The states I'm curious about that I would like to see more discussion over!

Florida: Is it Tampa or Orlando? Or another city?
Virginia: Richmond, Alexandria, Norfolk? I'm not even sure what most people count the primary city in Virginia as, and it's certainly not D.C. since D.C. isn't technically in a state.
Indiana: Fort Wayne might be second largest but South Bend is the second largest CSA in Indiana and it has Notre Dame and Bloomington has I.U., and Bloomington has a decent regional attraction for tourism and their natural beauty.
South Carolina: Does South Carolina have a primary city? Without a distinct primary it's hard to draw a "Second City". I know Charleston, Greenville, and Columbia are all in the running.

DISCUSS!

Old 04-20-2015, 01:22 PM

80 posts, read 72,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistola916 View Post
In terms of importance:

SF (banking/finance) > LA (entertainment)
San Jose (tech) > San Diego (military)
Sacramento (government) > IE (manure)
"Importance" is outrageously subjective. I don't understand how you can make definitive statements that banking/finance>entertainment and tech>military. Also I guess all that manure in the IE generates a more robust economy than the state capital.

It's not like I like SoCal better than NorCal. I actually prefer NorCal.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:24 PM

5,619 posts, read 13,301,589 times
If anyone wants to say that SF is the #1 city in CA, or even tied for first, that basically implies you think SF is the 2nd most important city in the country after NYC because it is well established that LA is second nationally after NYC. I mean either way, the country would suffer. But the country would suffer worse if LA, Chicago, or Houston were demolished. The country would suffer with the loss in finances and tech from SF, but I highly doubt the the country would suffer as much compared to if one of those other 3 were wiped off the map. I think that attests to something there.

Basically, if LA didn't exist one day, the country would suffer greatly simply based off the port. There's no way another city on the west coast could fix itself fast enough to support the country.

Changing gears from California since we can all agree, besides 18Montclair, that LA is #1 in California. I'm actually curious what people think about Florida. Miami is #1. But is Tampa or Orlando #2? And Texas? Is it really Houston/Dallas tied in first? What would be the order after with El Paso, Austin, and San Antonio. North Carolina? Virginia? New Jersey?

Old 04-20-2015, 01:28 PM

6,205 posts, read 8,356,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
If anyone wants to say that SF is the #1 city in CA, or even tied for first, that basically implies you think SF is the 2nd most important city in the country after NYC because it is well established that LA is second nationally after NYC. I mean either way, the country would suffer. But the country would suffer worse if LA, Chicago, or Houston were demolished. The country would suffer with the loss in finances and tech from SF, but I highly doubt the the country would suffer as much compared to if one of those other 3 were wiped off the map. I think that attests to something there.

Basically, if LA didn't exist one day, the country would suffer greatly simply based off the port. There's no way another city on the west coast could fix itself fast enough to support the country.

Changing gears from California since we can all agree, besides 18Montclair, that LA is #1 in California. I'm actually curious what people think about Florida. Miami is #1. But is Tampa or Orlando #2? And Texas? Is it really Houston/Dallas tied in first? What would be the order after with El Paso, Austin, and San Antonio. North Carolina? Virginia? New Jersey?
This is a great point. In the grand scheme of things everyone pretty much clarified Los Angeles as America's "Second City". Second most populous, second most powerful, second most well known, second most visited, etc. It's definitely the number 2 city in this country in pretty much everything. I don't think anyone is suggesting that San Francisco is the country's number 2 city. That would require it jumping over Chicago and Los Angeles, which just isn't in its capacity at this time.

I really am looking forward to people getting off the California train. I didn't intentionally start a Los Angeles vs San Francisco thread here.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:29 PM

80 posts, read 72,089 times
Off the top of my head, the #2s would go Orlando, Dallas (with Austin, San Antonio, and El Paso, in that order), Raleigh. Not sure about Virginia and NJ.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:31 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,755,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambitions View Post
"Importance" is outrageously subjective. I don't understand how you can make definitive statements that banking/finance>entertainment and tech>military. Also I guess all that manure in the IE generates a more robust economy than the state capital.

It's not like I like SoCal better than NorCal. I actually prefer NorCal.
Maybe they are truly equals. I mean, they are both full of $hit at the end of the day? Lol. jk jk. I actually kind of like the team up there right now, though I'm not necessarily fond of the way they pushing the drought more on the residents than agriculture/fracking/corporations. That's for a different thread though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or