U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2015, 01:40 PM

18,207 posts, read 25,896,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambitions View Post
Off the top of my head, the #2s would go Orlando, Dallas (with Austin, San Antonio, and El Paso, in that order), Raleigh. Not sure about Virginia and NJ.
Hi, Fort Worth!

Old 04-20-2015, 01:41 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,708,485 times
If per capita was a driving factor then Bridgeport, CT would be the world's most powerful city, followed by second place San Jose, CA.

That would make Qatar a more powerful country than the United States too while we're on this topic.

Yeah, try telling someone that and not getting a "what the eff did you just say" look in return.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:46 PM

9,832 posts, read 7,319,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
If per capita was a driving factor then Bridgeport, CT would be the world's most powerful city, followed by second place San Jose, CA.

That would make Qatar a more powerful country than the United States too while we're on this topic.

Yeah, try telling someone that and not getting a "what the eff did you just say" look in return.
Houston has a higher GDP per capita than LA, and it's a decent sized city. Therefore...nah.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:54 PM

933 posts, read 1,643,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambitions View Post
"Importance" is outrageously subjective. I don't understand how you can make definitive statements that banking/finance>entertainment and tech>military. Also I guess all that manure in the IE generates a more robust economy than the state capital.

It's not like I like SoCal better than NorCal. I actually prefer NorCal.
So is determining what is the second most important city in the state.

Some may say LA. Others could argue San Francisco. You'll find some that prefer San Diego or Sacramento. In the end importance is in the eye of the beholder. I prefer NorCal and think it offers a better quality of life than SoCal.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:30 PM

2,493 posts, read 2,094,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Florida: Is it Tampa or Orlando? Or another city?
Virginia: Richmond, Alexandria, Norfolk? I'm not even sure what most people count the primary city in Virginia as, and it's certainly not D.C. since D.C. isn't technically in a state.
Indiana: Fort Wayne might be second largest but South Bend is the second largest CSA in Indiana and it has Notre Dame and Bloomington has I.U., and Bloomington has a decent regional attraction for tourism and their natural beauty.
South Carolina: Does South Carolina have a primary city? Without a distinct primary it's hard to draw a "Second City". I know Charleston, Greenville, and Columbia are all in the running.

DISCUSS!
Lived in Bloomington for college and it is a wonderful place, also highly touted as a retirement town.
But in no way is it the second city of Indiana. Too small, to far off the main travel routes and too liberal.
South Bend metro is bigger and more important than Ft Wayne.

Hopefully we are done discussing California (LA, SF, SD & Sac) and Texas (Houston, DFW, Austin)

Old 04-20-2015, 02:45 PM

1,699 posts, read 1,479,278 times
Quote:
Florida: Is it Tampa or Orlando? Or another city?
Orlando, Tampa maybe bigger but Orlando is more international (DisneyWorld) and has a more diversified economy.

Old 04-20-2015, 02:55 PM

31,575 posts, read 53,094,619 times
Quote:
This is a great point. In the grand scheme of things everyone pretty much clarified Los Angeles as America's "Second City". Second most populous, second most powerful, second most well known, second most visited, etc. It's definitely the number 2 city in this country in pretty much everything. I don't think anyone is suggesting that San Francisco is the country's number 2 city. That would require it jumping over Chicago and Los Angeles, which just isn't in its capacity at this time.
Wrong.

We are talking about individual states.

And so we've already established and proven with facts that San Francisco is the NUMBER ONE FINANCIAL CENTER in California, by far. We've also established and proven with facts that THE MAJORITY OF CALIFORNIA'S CORPORATE POWER, REVENUE AND PROFITS are in the Bay Area, not LA.

As a result, twice as many Californians commute into the Bay Area borders to work than into LA.

And this trend has soared since 2000.

So forgive me if I cant help but laugh.

Increasingly, the Bay Area seems to control like everything in California.

Old 04-20-2015, 03:00 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,708,485 times
Well gosh, is there anywhere in the world more important than the San Francisco Bay Area?

How does Bay Area stack up to places that have existed throughout all of time? Babylon? Corinthe? Uruk? Best of all time?

Old 04-20-2015, 03:04 PM

15,404 posts, read 24,375,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Wrong.

We are talking about individual states.

And so we've already established and proven with facts that San Francisco is the NUMBER ONE FINANCIAL CENTER in California, by far. We've also established and proven with facts that THE MAJORITY OF CALIFORNIA'S CORPORATE POWER, REVENUE AND PROFITS are in the Bay Area, not LA.

As a result, twice as many Californians commute into the Bay Area borders to work than into LA.

And this trend has soared since 2000.

So forgive me if I cant help but laugh.

Increasingly, the Bay Area seems to control like everything in California.
That's more of a result of high housing prices. Not sure how having more mega-commuters really means anything positive.

Old 04-20-2015, 03:05 PM

21,945 posts, read 30,797,404 times
LA county and their counties are enormous no wonder so few commute in

and for those 9000 that commute from LA to SF - good for them

So the question remains what is primate city for CA?

to me LA

I think this should be another thread- Monty can argue all day long in the CA forum

honestly have never seen such a group (not all Sav for example) of self absorbed posters. Most other cities have some that just look foolish. These folks seem to actually believe and position as such, its almost delusional most others just appear dumb - this is like complex rationalized delusion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or