U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2015, 05:28 PM

1,699 posts, read 1,488,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
blah blah blah ... that it clearly demonstrates that SF proves itself as an Alpha City and therefore is not really secondary, it cant be.
San Francisco is Alpha-, Los Angeles is Alpha.

Maybe you need to take your meds, Monty.

Old 04-20-2015, 05:29 PM

5,640 posts, read 13,340,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
blah blah blah sophomores take a seat.

The point is, SF leads the state in so many criteria that is supposed to be characteristic of the undisputed FIRST place city, that it clearly demonstrates that SF proves itself as an Alpha City and therefore is not really secondary, it cant be.

LA and SF may be perceived one way by Turks and Hungarians( lol), but this thread is about the situation WITHIN CA.

And within California on April 20, 2015, I see LA and SF at parity all things considered.
Can we just please go ahead and start ignoring these posts? We all clearly have a differing opinion. We'll never get through this inferiority complex. So, I, for one, am done commenting back on anything related to SF being tied or superior to LA.

Old 04-20-2015, 05:29 PM

1,699 posts, read 1,488,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
This is the message I've been trying to get across for soooo lonnnggggg on this forum. I hope people can actually see it now. I can't think of a single other one way hatred like this in the country or even world. Except maybe Italy between north and south. But Madrid/Barcelona only hate each other for sports. Ask any of them from the other city. Madrid loves Barca, Barca loves Madrid. They just prefer where they are. It's to the point that I know people in SF with family in LA. They won't even VISIT their family in LA because they hate it so much. Heavens forbid they visit LA and actually have a positive experience. My family lives in Boston and NYC on one side and Tulsa and OKC on the other. They go back and forth all the time. Love visiting each others' cities. Only hatred comes down to sports. Aside from that, they prefer their own cities, but can enjoy the occasional visit their rival city. Not SF. It's this imbedded hatred for LA than I have no explanation for besides jealousy. Angelenos visit SF regularly and enjoy some fun weekends there. San Franciscans won't even take a single step into Greater LA. And if they do, they complain about it the entire time. The entire Bay Area is filled with the most inferiority complex driven people I have ever encountered and their true colors are showing finally for the rest of this forum to see.

Back to the topic. Someone did answer me about NJ because I've always wondered about there. There doesn't seem to be really a dominant city when you actually think about since North is centered around NYC and South is centered around Philly. Does Newark's size alone though make it the #1? Because it my mind it would have been JC with its proximity to NYC across the river and its own impressive skyline. But idk much about NJ.
It's not really a hate but sort of an inbuilt jealously of the state being dominated by Los Angeles and Los Angeles politics. San Francisco is full of wannabe-Hippies and Techies while LA is full of beautiful people. Ugly people tend to hate beautiful people, this is another reason.

Old 04-20-2015, 05:34 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,766,599 times
Quote:
This is the message I've been trying to get across for soooo lonnnggggg on this forum. I hope people can actually see it now. I can't think of a single other one way hatred like this in the country or even world. Except maybe Italy between north and south. But Madrid/Barcelona only hate each other for sports. Ask any of them from the other city. Madrid loves Barca, Barca loves Madrid. They just prefer where they are. It's to the point that I know people in SF with family in LA. They won't even VISIT their family in LA because they hate it so much. Heavens forbid they visit LA and actually have a positive experience. My family lives in Boston and NYC on one side and Tulsa and OKC on the other. They go back and forth all the time. Love visiting each others' cities. Only hatred comes down to sports. Aside from that, they prefer their own cities, but can enjoy the occasional visit their rival city. Not SF. It's this imbedded hatred for LA than I have no explanation for besides jealousy. Angelenos visit SF regularly and enjoy some fun weekends there. San Franciscans won't even take a single step into Greater LA. And if they do, they complain about it the entire time. The entire Bay Area is filled with the most inferiority complex driven people I have ever encountered and their true colors are showing finally for the rest of this forum to see.

Back to the topic. Someone did answer me about NJ because I've always wondered about there. There doesn't seem to be really a dominant city when you actually think about since North is centered around NYC and South is centered around Philly. Does Newark's size alone though make it the #1? Because it my mind it would have been JC with its proximity to NYC across the river and its own impressive skyline. But idk much about NJ.
When it comes to NJ, I always assumed that their number one (outside NYC itself) was Newark. Maybe because I always see the NYC MSA as NYC-Newark-Jersey City, so it imprinted it in my mind as #2 within the NYC metro, therefore no1 in New Jersey. In addition the Newark Liberty International Airport gives it some prominence.

Makes me think, for other metros where state lines are blurred, like Washington D.C., wouldn't Baltimore be Maryland's second city, as D.C. serves as its prime? Any thoughts?

Old 04-20-2015, 06:00 PM

6,254 posts, read 8,409,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
When it comes to NJ, I always assumed that their number one (outside NYC itself) was Newark. Maybe because I always see the NYC MSA as NYC-Newark-Jersey City, so it imprinted it in my mind as #2 within the NYC metro, therefore no1 in New Jersey. In addition the Newark Liberty International Airport gives it some prominence.

Makes me think, for other metros where state lines are blurred, like Washington D.C., wouldn't Baltimore be Maryland's second city, as D.C. serves as its prime? Any thoughts?
It's tough to say, since Washington D.C. isn't really in a particular state, it can't really serve as any state's primary city in my opinion since it doesn't fall under state laws, ordinances, taxes, etc.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:05 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,123,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
No, because DC has its own laws, ordinances, taxes, etc. It's as much a part of Maryland as it would be part of Virginia.

Though I will say as an avid sports fan, I tend to notice that the Maryland side of DC metro is more willing to cheer for Baltimore-based teams (mostly the O's, sometimes the Ravens but not as much) than the Virginia side is.

I feel like most of the Nats/Redskins fans I meet are from NoVa.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:21 PM

Yeah for me, Baltimore seems to be Maryland's premier city, with all the DC bubrs as a secondary region. What's the main city there? Silver Spring?

As for VA, DC seems to be its main city. No real city there stands out. DC would be VA's premier city in my mind, and maybe VA Beach/Norfolk area as the secondary region.

And yeah I guess with Newark having the largest population, one of the largest airports in the country, and university campuses in the city it would be the #1 city. Jersey City would definitely be #2 then?

In Indiana, Indianapolis is clearly #1, but I would say Bloomington has a good chance at number 2. Large university, growing population, and many musical acts that come through this area often skip Indy and Louisville altogether and instead head to Bloomington to cater to the young crowd there. When musicians are confident enough in a city to skip over 2 metro regions of over 1 million people, that says something to the power of Bloomington and its student population. Idk if it's number 2 or not since idk enough about Northern Indiana. I only know Southern Indiana. But from my POV being across the river in Louisville, Indy is 1 and Bloomington is 2 for this part of the state. Maybe Evansville tied for 2nd since they have the economy and population, but Bloomington has the diversity, cultural activities, and education center? Idk.

Last edited by jessemh431; 04-20-2015 at 06:29 PM..

Old 04-20-2015, 06:43 PM

6,254 posts, read 8,409,759 times
Quote:
Yeah for me, Baltimore seems to be Maryland's premier city, with all the DC bubrs as a secondary region. What's the main city there? Silver Spring?

As for VA, DC seems to be its main city. No real city there stands out. DC would be VA's premier city in my mind, and maybe VA Beach/Norfolk area as the secondary region.

And yeah I guess with Newark having the largest population, one of the largest airports in the country, and university campuses in the city it would be the #1 city. Jersey City would definitely be #2 then?

In Indiana, Indianapolis is clearly #1, but I would say Bloomington has a good chance at number 2. Large university, growing population, and many musical acts that come through this area often skip Indy and Louisville altogether and instead head to Bloomington to cater to the young crowd there. When musicians are confident enough in a city to skip over 2 metro regions of over 1 million people, that says something to the power of Bloomington and its student population. Idk if it's number 2 or not since idk enough about Northern Indiana. I only know Southern Indiana. But from my POV being across the river in Louisville, Indy is 1 and Bloomington is 2 for this part of the state. Maybe Evansville tied for 2nd since they have the economy and population, but Bloomington has the diversity, cultural activities, and education center? Idk.
Interesting, what musical acts? Most large touring groups will go to venues that can support them and the crowds that come, and those venues are usually only found in larger cities, unless they decide to set it up on a fairgrounds or something. Not saying I don't believe you, but just curious on what group would skip Indianapolis and Louisville in favor of Bloomington, a city less than 1/10th the size of Indy or Louisville.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Interesting, what musical acts? Most large touring groups will go to venues that can support them and the crowds that come, and those venues are usually only found in larger cities, unless they decide to set it up on a fairgrounds or something. Not saying I don't believe you, but just curious on what group would skip Indianapolis and Louisville in favor of Bloomington, a city less than 1/10th the size of Indy or Louisville.
I guess it does attest to the type of music I listen to haha. I'm very big into the electronic music scene. Large touring bands that top the charts will go to Indy, Louisville, Cincy, a combo of the three, or all three. But many of the electronic artists I listen to will hit up cities like LA, SF, SD, Chicago, NYC, Miami, Houston, and other similarly large cities. Then, randomly, Bloomington will be thrown in the mix and sometimes Urbana-Champaign in IL too. They'll be at local bars and clubs catering to the college crowds. I'm not sure if these artists ever go through any other city in Indiana besides Indy. It seems to be either Indy or Bloomington if an electronic artist goes through the state. Often the closest venues for me in Louisville are Nashville and Cincy, Bloomington and Indy next, and we get the rare electronic artist in Louisville. I don't really keep up much on other types of music though. But is there another state in Indiana that gets quite a few touring musicians? I know Evansville doesn't even though it is the larger city of Southern Indiana. Does Fort Wayne or South Bend ever get shows of any genre regularly coming through?

Old 04-20-2015, 09:40 PM

31,598 posts, read 53,251,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
San Francisco is Alpha-, Los Angeles is Alpha.
No need to be jealous. San Francisco is an Alpha City. No go and cry.

Quote:
Maybe you need to take your meds, Monty.
Sometimes I feel bad about constantly destroying the vapid stereotypes that you cling so firmly to.

Just Kidding. I dont feel bad at all.

Like I said:
The point is, SF leads the state in so many
criteria that is supposed to be characteristic
of the undisputed FIRST place city, that it
clearly demonstrates that SF proves itself
as an Alpha City and therefore is not really
secondary, it cant be.

LA and SF may be perceived one way by
Turks and Hungarians( lol), but this thread
is about the situation WITHIN CA.

And within California on April 20, 2015, I see
LA and SF at parity all things considered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or