Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 05:37 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,634,822 times

Advertisements

Alabama has three second cities.

The real answer is Mobile which may be tied with Huntsville, but Huntsville believes it is #1, which would put Birmingham at #2 - but in reality Huntsville is too good to be considered part of Alabama so it doesn't matter. So...wait, I'm confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 05:38 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,893,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasmineFlower View Post
I'd say the second city of Massachusetts is Worcester, not Springfield. Maybe 10-15 years ago, Springfield would have been the second city, but I'd say it's now firmly in 3rd. And Worcester continues to grow.

For Illinois, Springfield, Rockford, and Aurora are all possibilities, with a case to be made for Champaign-Urbana. But not St. Louis. Only East St. Louis can count for Illinois.

For Florida, what's getting credit for the first city? Miami? If so, Jacksonville, the largest city by population in the state, has to be in contention for the second city.

Lol, no way. Jacksonville is largest in city population only because it has over 500 square miles of land. About 2-3 times as much as most cities. With a metro barely over 1 million it's less than half the size of Orlando and Tampa, and 1/5 the size of Miami. Jacksonville is way down the line in Florida cities.

Old 04-10-2015, 05:40 PM

18,957 posts, read 32,406,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Here's my list!
Hawaii - Pearl City
Kind of an odd pick there, Pearl City is a suburb of Honolulu. I'd definitely say Hilo as HI's second city.

Old 04-10-2015, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Alabama has three second cities.

The real answer is Mobile which may be tied with Huntsville, but Huntsville believes it is #1, which would put Birmingham at #2 - but in reality Huntsville is too good to be considered part of Alabama so it doesn't matter. So...wait, I'm confused.
I can't see anyone, even a Huntsville homer making a claim that Huntsville is better than Birmingham. It has a bright future and lots of high tech jobs from what I hear, but it's a sleepy little city.

Mobile's metro would be much larger if it included neighboring Florida counties, I think it only includes two counties right now, the CSA of Mobile is pretty decently sized actually and its position on the coast gives it something no other Alabama city has.

Old 04-10-2015, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Kind of an odd pick there, Pearl City is a suburb of Honolulu. I'd definitely say Hilo as HI's second city.
I confess I didn't do much investigating on my picks in states I'm very unfamiliar with. Glad to learn Hilo is more deserving of that title.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:00 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,490,823 times
These are the disagreements with the OP

Arkansas--Fayetteville
Colorado--Colorado Springs
Delaware--Dover
Hawaii--Hilo
Idaho--Coeur d'Alene
Kansas--Topeka* (I'm not counting Kansas City because the MSA is centered in Missouri)
Minnesota--Duluth
Montana--Missoula* (This was the hardest one for me)
New York--Buffalo
North Dakota--Grand Forks
Ohio--Cleveland* (This was hard too; due to money, growth, and influence I'd place Columbus as No. 1, Cleveland as No. 2, and Cincinnati as No. 3, but I'm sure this has been debated ad nauseum)
South Dakota--Rapid City
Vermont--Rutland
Virginia--Richmond
Washington--Spokane
West Virginia--Morgantown* (Another hard choice. While Huntington is larger, I feel like Morgantown shines brighter due to its location and relative wealth)

Last edited by Dawn.Davenport; 04-10-2015 at 06:12 PM..

Old 04-10-2015, 06:15 PM

6,212 posts, read 9,148,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
California - San Francisco
Washington - Spokane
Portland - Eugene
Florida - Orlando
I always wondered how a fight for "Second City of California" will be contested....San Francisco vs. San Diego.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:18 PM

18,957 posts, read 32,406,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
I always wondered how a fight for "Second City of California" will be contested....San Francisco vs. San Diego.
Eh, I don't think anyone really considers San Diego Ca's 2nd city. The Bay Area is over twice as large and far more prominent than SD.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:29 PM

37,784 posts, read 41,454,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
There's no question it's San Francisco.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:56 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,092,928 times
San Diego is great but come on..

Side note, I think Sacramento is pretty close to SD, all things considered. At least closer than the general attitude on this subforum. I would pick SD 9 times out of 10 to live in though, but general importance n such makes it closer imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City