U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 03:50 PM

5,286 posts, read 3,854,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth33 View Post
Texas: Another incredibly close one, Houston and Dallas are very similar in so many ways. Having spent time in both, I have to give the edge to Dallas. Houston second.
Not that I think it matters, but what in your experiences gave you the idea that Dallas was somehow more important than Houston?

I'm not as sure regarding the California cities, but there is no debate to be had between Houston and Dallas. The answer can be found on paper. Clear as day.

Old 04-25-2015, 05:08 PM

77 posts, read 102,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Not that I think it matters, but what in your experiences gave you the idea that Dallas was somehow more important than Houston?

I'm not as sure regarding the California cities, but there is no debate to be had between Houston and Dallas. The answer can be found on paper. Clear as day.
I'm not necessarily saying it's more important. As I said, it really is extremely difficult to decide between the two. Are you implying a landslide victory for Houston? If so, why? The only reason I could possibly see would be city limit population or fortune 500 company headquarters (Houston has 5 more, 24 to Dallas' 19).

Old 04-25-2015, 06:44 PM

27,983 posts, read 25,060,888 times
Quote:
New York: Buffalo
California: Is this first/second city based on size alone? That certainly would have an impact, but I think once an area reaches a certain size, comparisons are a moot point. LA and San Fran have both reached that size IMO. I honestly think San Fran is the more important city, but it is very close. So LA second.
Texas: Another incredibly close one, Houston and Dallas are very similar in so many ways. Having spent time in both, I have to give the edge to Dallas. Houston second.
Florida: Tampa
Georgia: Savannah
South Carolina: Greenville
North Carolina: Raleigh/Durham
Tennessee: Memphis
Ohio: Cleveland, behind Cincinnati (Columbus is right there too, they are all very close)
Michigan: Grand Rapids
Colorado: Colorado Springs
Do you think of SC's three largest as being very close like OH's?

Old 04-25-2015, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's a very good comparison actually. Obviously the OH cities are much larger but SC's three largest are similar in that all are very close in size and feel. Charleston does have the coastal thing going for it though.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:18 PM

2,072 posts, read 2,853,583 times
Quote:
I wouldn't say Tampa is the definitive number 2 city in Florida. Orlando could make an argument for that 2 spot.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:21 PM

27,983 posts, read 25,060,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
I wouldn't say Tampa is the definitive number 2 city in Florida. Orlando could make an argument for that 2 spot.
I'm pretty sure you meant to reply to another post.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:24 PM

2,072 posts, read 2,853,583 times
Quote:
I'm pretty sure you meant to reply to another post.
Oops my bad.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:25 PM

291 posts, read 298,313 times
Quote:
Ohio: Cleveland, behind Cincinnati (Columbus is right there too, they are all very close)
Cleveland #1, Columbus #2a, Cincinnati #2b. These cities are almost interchangeable, which makes Ohio very unique. The battle IMO is between Columbus and Cincinnati, which are only 100 miles apart. These cities are very similar is size, with Columbus having the larger city proper pop., CSA and slightly larger television market, and Cincinnati with the larger MSA and urban area. Cincinnati has more to offer from a tourism standpoint, but Columbus has the stronger economy. So while I can't decide which city is #2, one could easily make an argument for either city being #1.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATUMRE75 View Post
Maybe for tourism, but that's about it. Tampa is much larger and has more business. Unlike Orlando, Tampa has a port as well. Tampa also benefits from the beach and a decent tourism industry of its own (Clearwater Beach). Tampa has more historical significance to Florida than Orlando. There's no doubt that Orlando is an up and coming city, but it is still far behind Tampa IMO.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:41 PM

5,298 posts, read 7,251,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Absolutely. There are only three things Dallas beats Houston in:

1. Media attention
2. Regional travel and commerce
3. Light rail miles
Urban Development around the core and zoning...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or