U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 07:10 PM

774 posts, read 1,644,110 times

Advertisements

Alabama- Mobile
Alaska- Fairbanks
Arizona- Tucson
Arkansas- Pine Bluff
California- San Francisco
Colorado- Colorado Springs
Connecticut- New Haven
Delaware- Dover
Florida- Orlando
Georgia- Augusta
Hawaii- Maui
Idaho- Idaho Falls
Illinois- Springfield
Indiana- Fort Wayne
Iowa- Cedar Rapids
Kansas- Kansas City
Kentucky- Lexington
Louisiana- Shreveport
Maine - Augusta
Maryland- Annapolis
Massachusetts- Springfield
Michigan - Grand Rapids
Minnesota - Duluth
Mississippi - Biloxi
Missouri - Kansas City
Montana- Missoula
Nebraska- Lincoln
Nevada - Reno
New Hampshire- Nashua
New Jersey- Jersey City
New Mexico- Santa Fe
New York - Buffalo
North Carolina- Raleigh
North Dakota- Minot
Ohio- Cincinnati
Oklahoma- Tulsa
Oregon - Salem
Pennsylvania - Pittsburgh
Rhode Island - Newport
South Carolina- Columbia
South Dakota - Rapid City
Tennessee - Memphis
Texas- Dallas
Utah - Ogden
Vermont- Montpelier
Virginia - Norfolk
Washington - Tacoma
West Virginia - Huntington
Wisconsin - Green Bay
Wyoming- Cheyenne

Old 04-10-2015, 07:38 PM

9,064 posts, read 17,408,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasmineFlower View Post
I'd say the second city of Massachusetts is Worcester, not Springfield. Maybe 10-15 years ago, Springfield would have been the second city, but I'd say it's now firmly in 3rd. And Worcester continues to grow.
I disagree, Worcester is somewhat of an afterthought city. Central Mass was somewhere I passed through on the way to somewhere else (save the obligatory grade school field trip to Old Sturbridge Village). Springfield carries with it the Pioneer Valley with a whole string of cities like Chicopee, Holyoke, Westfied, and Northampton. Springfield is that city way on the other side of the state, it's the second city.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:00 PM

3,637 posts, read 6,151,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I can't see anyone, even a Huntsville homer making a claim that Huntsville is better than Birmingham. It has a bright future and lots of high tech jobs from what I hear, but it's a sleepy little city.

Mobile's metro would be much larger if it included neighboring Florida counties, I think it only includes two counties right now, the CSA of Mobile is pretty decently sized actually and its position on the coast gives it something no other Alabama city has.
And Mississippi counties also but if you add the other 5 or 6 counties bordering Mobile County outside of the Florida counties Mobile's metro or CSA would be around 900k.

You would be suprised of how many Huntsville gowers who think they are better than Birmingham though smh. I think it's the transplants more so than natives.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:36 PM

306 posts, read 333,472 times
Ohio three C's are almost interchangeable now. Columbus for the 2 spot.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:52 PM

1,709 posts, read 1,576,935 times
AL: Mobile
AZ:Tucson
AR: Pine Bluff
CA: San Francisco
CO: Colorado Springs
FL: Tampa
GA: Savannah
IL: Peoria
IN: Fort Wayne
IA: Cedar Rapids
KS: Topeka
KY: Lexington
LA: Baton Rouge
MD: Baltimore (if DC is the "first city")
MI: Grand Rapids
MN: St. Paul
MS: Meridian
MO: Kansas City
NE: Lincoln
NV: Reno
NM: Las Cruces
NY: Buffalo
NC: Greensboro (?)
OH: Cincinnati
OK: Tulsa
PA: Pittsburgh
SC: Columbia
TN:Memphis
TX: Dallas
UT: Ogden
VA: Richmond
WA: Spokane
WV: Huntington
WI: Madison
WY: Casper

Last edited by OuttaTheLouBurbs; 04-10-2015 at 10:49 PM..

Old 04-10-2015, 09:53 PM

933 posts, read 1,652,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadicalAtheist View Post
San Diego is great but come on..

Side note, I think Sacramento is pretty close to SD, all things considered. At least closer than the general attitude on this subforum. I would pick SD 9 times out of 10 to live in though, but general importance n such makes it closer imo.
Sacramento has definitely closed the gap on San Diego. Sacramento is the capital of the largest State in the Union so that counts for something. But being a capital can only do so much for a city's appearance and image. San Diego metro is super wealthy and big on tourism. Sactown can't claim that despite all the potential it has. Sac will always be the fourth important metro in California. I can't see it ever passing San Diego no matter how much urban development and Bay Area migration occurs.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuttaTheLouBurbs View Post
MA: Baltimore (if DC is the "first city")
Well if it were MA, then Boston is the first city. If it were MD, Baltimore is the first city. If it's DC, well then its neither MA or MD, so there's that.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:49 PM

1,709 posts, read 1,576,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
Well if it were MA, then Boston is the first city. If it were MD, Baltimore is the first city. If it's DC, well then its neither MA or MD, so there's that.
My bad. I meant MD.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:54 PM

11,951 posts, read 9,704,972 times
Interesting that a few people chose Atlantic City. I would say Jersey City. I would love to put JC first but at this point I think Newark is still more widely known and they are the home of the Devils. Having a sports team is IMO important and helps make a city #1. Many concerts are also held at the Pru Center so it's important in that regard. But JC is definitely either first or second, I would put AC third behind them.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Interesting that a few people chose Atlantic City. I would say Jersey City. I would love to put JC first but at this point I think Newark is still more widely known and they are the home of the Devils. Having a sports team is IMO important and helps make a city #1. Many concerts are also held at the Pru Center so it's important in that regard. But JC is definitely either first or second, I would put AC third behind them.
I could understand internally why JC could be considered second to people from Jersey. Though that whole element of urban areas in Northern NJ seems to all blend together for me. When I think of a second city, I tend to think of one that's a distance away from the state's primary city. Also, Atlantic City likely has more notoriety to people from outside New Jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or